Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

SoBe is scheduled for her spay!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Well now I'm all nervous for my baby. Its come time that we get her spayed. She will be 7 months old on Jan 4th and I waited until she was older to get her spayed cuz I just couldn't imagine my baby going under the knife and I don't have any boy kitties to put her at risk for pregnancy. But I know she'll be going into season soon so I scheduled her spay today..she goes in on Jan 7th. Thankfully I can drop her off that morning and pick her up that night so that helps to ease my worries.
The vet is going to call me back in regards to her anesthesia as the receptionist didn't know why I would ask for an alternate sedation method. I explained it to her and she was very receptive and nice about it. Most the girls there are rude and "know it alls". Anyhow,,just keeping my SL family posted.

:Sweat::Sweat: I keep telling myself its the most common procedure they do!!:Sweat:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Yea my breeder handeled Snuffies spay and I made her call me too! lol
This time she let me have SoBe unspayed since she trusted me and knows I have no males anyhow but with the promise of getting her spayed and its getting that time. I was going to do it at 6 months but didn't realize that was DEC! lol Jan is just as good.
I'll call the vet all day to check on her,,I just know it. lol

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I am making Leo his appointment today, maybe they will get the same day. We can worry together.

That MIGHT help. lol

lol I need to forget about it, its crazy that I'm worrying so soon!!!!! Jimmy and her are just so close, he would be devastated if anything went wrong. He would make me swear off the breed.
It will be fine.It will be fine.It will be fine.It will be fine.It will be fine.It will be fine.It will be fine.It will be fine.It will be fine.It will be fine.It will be fine.:Dizzy:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
It will be fine. :BigSmile: She'll be fine - she'll probably come out of it a lot better than you do!

You are so right, I could probably cry right now if I thought about it enough. lol
I'm gonna be a wreck that day! argh!:Sweat::Dizzy:
Maybe they should give me the pain meds. lol:ThumbsUp:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Cleo was altered before I got her and her breed wrote after she was altered saying she was ok.
I was scared until he did.
Wrinkles breeder does not want her kittens altered until they are at least 6 months so I had Wrinkles altered last Jan.
We had it done Lapo which is less painful.
I gave my vet a list of meds not to use.
Like you I get scared also.
Good Luck to Sobe

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Cleo was altered before I got her and her breed wrote after she was altered saying she was ok.
I was scared until he did.
Wrinkles breeder does not want her kittens altered until they are at least 6 months so I had Wrinkles altered last Jan.
We had it done Lapo which is less painful.
I gave my vet a list of meds not to use.
Like you I get scared also.
Good Luck to Sobe

I'm having the vet call me prior to dropping her off to discuss everything, type of procedure and anisthesia just to make sure only what I want happens. I'm paranoid about it all and will review her chart before I hand her over. lol My vet must be pro declaw and the lady asked if we were declawing too and I said UH NO!! YOUR NOT AMPUTATING MY BABIES TOES! She probably thought I was crazy but I don't care. The only thing she better be missing is her reproductive parts! Snuffie was done Lapo also, by my breeders vet, I haven't had a female fixed at my vet in atleast 5 years so I'm not sure if they have that or not. I'm sure they do but I'm gonna ask because i would prefer that as well.

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I totally understand how you're feeling. Heck, when Kienna was being sedated once, I was at work about 11 am and actually busted into tears and got nauseous because I was so panicky that I hadn't heard back from the vet yet. I went home sick and by the time I got home, there was a message saying the vet had tried calling me at work and that he was fine! Now I just call in sick to work whenever one of my babies has to have anesthesia :Laugh:
Everything will be fine! Like you said, it's a very common procedure . Before you know it, it'll be over & SoBe will be running around like nothing ever happened! We're here for you!

Last edited:

ktate88

Banned
Hang in there! I was so worried about Niles and his was just a neuter. He did just fine and was crying and carrying on in his cage within 2-3 hours. That afternoon he was jumping around(I do not condone this!!! lol) but passed out that night.

Are you getting her chipped? I'd really suggest it if you haven't decided.

Vets will happily discuss protocols with you. Never hurts to let them know of breed precautions.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I totally understand how you're feeling. Heck, when Kienna was being sedated once, I was at work about 11 am and actually busted into tears and got nauseous because I was so panicky that I hadn't heard back from the vet yet. I went home sick and by the time I got home, there was a message saying the vet had tried calling me at work and that he was fine! Now I just call in sick to work whenever one of my babies has to have anesthesia :Laugh:
Everything will be fine! Like you said, it's a very common procedure . Before you know it, it'll be over & SoBe will be running around like nothing ever happened! We're here for you!
Your description is exactly how I'll be Jan 7th. I feel it already!! Big knot in my stomach. ugh:Sweat:

I hope your vet does lapo.

He called me this morning. They do not do LAPO and even added that no one in our area does that yet. I called his bluff and called around to the few trusted vets I know of and they dont! Weird!! I'm nervous as I normally would be but I spoke to him about his procedures and he's spayed for me before and my cats and previous pets have always done well with him.
He did say they use lasers to cut but do not do the procedure laproscoptically.

He currently has 8 Sphynx patients, 2 of them are mine, he has a lot of knowledge on the breed and I do think SoBe had a crush on him until he gave her that antibiotic shot a few weeks ago. lol
I'm trying to not worry to much about it until THE BIG DAY. lol

Hang in there! I was so worried about Niles and his was just a neuter. He did just fine and was crying and carrying on in his cage within 2-3 hours. That afternoon he was jumping around(I do not condone this!!! lol) but passed out that night.

Are you getting her chipped? I'd really suggest it if you haven't decided.

Vets will happily discuss protocols with you. Never hurts to let them know of breed precautions.

My girls will be getting chipped but I want them done at the same time so we aren't getting a chip just yet. I don't feel like its fair to chip one now and not the other too so I'm going to wait until late winter to do that. It will give me some time to get my credit card paid back down and I don't like taking Snuffie out in this weather more than needed since she just got over a lung infection.

MyJezebel

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Re: SoBe is scheduled for her spay!I

SoBe is in good hands. You've done your homework and are making sure that the vet does the right things. I was a nervous wreck too when Jezebel was fixed last month but everything went well (no lapro either)and she even had to stay over night. You will be so happy when all is said and done and she's back home safe and sound. Best of luck to you and SoBe.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I'm totally stressing out over tomorrow. We are getting snow and it could potentially throw my timeline of travel off hugely for the window of time I have to get her to the office.
We are a one car family currently and we get up at 4:30am to get ready for our day. We leave at 6am to take jimmy to his cousins (20 min drive on country rd) who he rides an additional 20 min ride to his work. Then his son and I come back home, wait about 20 minutes before we leave to drive him to school which is a 22 min drive out the same direction to have him at school around 730am or so, then tomorrow I'll need to come back all the way back home, get SoBe (or take her with initially) to go 15 to 20 minutes on the other side of town to get her to the vet. (40 min drive time from the school) She has to be there by 8am.
I'm just worried cuz its going to be freezing, snowy roads, potential turmoil, slower traffic, we think a belt broke on one of our tires so I'm less then enthusiastic about driving anywhere, much less driving around from 6am till 8am trying to get everyone where they need to be. I'm seriously thinking about post poning but we are in Ohio and the weather is so unpredictable its ridiculous and a crap shoot.
Please send prayers that the roads aren't too bad tomorrow please. She already hates car rides and the added stress of snow isnt helping me.
Not to mention its suppose to snow all day tomorrow which will make pick up even more fun.

ktate88

Banned
I can't relate to the snow, but we get torrential rain in spring and summer. Breathe, and if it makes you feel better to wait till next week I would do it. If you go through with tomorrow try to stay calm for SoBe as she will feed off of your energy.

Did the vet call you back about anesthesia?

And, let the office manager or owner know about the receptionists being "know it alls." They need to know to try to fix the problem!

Back