Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx jumping on furniture and climbing people - how to stop this

DonuttheSphynx

Lairian
I don't know how to get my baby (3 month old) Sphynx, Donut, to stop doing these things, please help!!
She'll climb on the kitchen counter and lick all the dishes and countertop which is EXTREMELY unsanitary what with her bathroom habits (she'll walk around with her crap all over her paws). I feed her well too but she seems to have a humongous appetite. It doesn't matter how many times we tell her "no" and put her back down on the ground, she'll just climb right back up.
The other awful thing she does is climb people, which is absolutely horrible. HORRIBLE! I have so many claw marks on my shoulders and upper back :{ She climbs all of my room mates and guests too. (I lightly trim her nails and it's still awful). I'll be crying out as she digs her claws into my skin, things like "no" and "bad cat" and "ouch" but she'll just continue. The only thing that will get her to jump off is crouching down then lightly falling backwards. But once you get up she climbs right back on. PLEASE PLEASE HELP

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh wow. Sounds like she has a lot of excess energy.

You could look into compressed air to keep her off the counters - spray it to scare her off whenever she jumps up.

As for climbing people, you could also use the canned air or just keep correcting her, sit her down and say "No" then ignore her, else she might think it is all a game.

Do you have any other pets? A sphynx kitten has a lot of energy to burn. Make sure to do lots of play time to wear her out

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you.
The compressed air will be good for getting on things, to try and keep her down.
I don't think I would use it if she gets on you or people. It could cause her to be scared of you and others also.
Play, Play Play get her tired and wrap her up in a blanket and swaddle her like a baby.
Hold her a lot. If you see she is going to jump from some place on you move. Stay at a distance and have
other people to also. Also, you can say no and put her down.
As far as you feeding her are you feeding wet 2-3 times a day and leaving dry out at all times?
They need this, for their metabolism. They are all lot of difference in sphynx and reg. cats.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
LOL, at that age they are just goofy. Wait until she is 6 months, they turn into teenagers. Make sure that she has a nice high (but safe) kitty tower of her own that she can climb and perch on. That may fulfill some of the need.

You can also try "soft paws" nail caps (although I remember even the smallest size was too big for mine at that age). Put away all of the dishes, leave no food out or anything on the counter that is a temptation. It is like having a really agile toddler.

Are her poops firm? She shouldn't be getting it on her paws if they are, unless she is literally playing in poop. Diet can be a huge part of getting that under control.

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sounds like a typical sphynx kitten to me! I gave up on the counter surfing and just let them do it. I wipe the counters down a few times a day with Clorox wipes.
My male is super energetic and I have to really wear him out twice a day. I use Da Bird toy and laser pointer, a tired sphynx is a good sphynx. Lol

Ollie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I totally understand the counter thing! I learned to ease up on it a bit and just wipe them every time I use them. Cats want to be on the highest point to see what you are doing- maybe instead of saying no, is there a way to put her in a yes situation? Put a cat tree in the kitchen and move her there every time she goes on the counter. We got Ollie to use his scratching post this way by moving him to it every time he tried to scratch the kitchen chairs....just a thought. The jumping on your shoulders....Argh good luck. Ollie has gotten better with a few firm no 's or if he looks like he is going to jump at us we pick him up. I think he might have realized we are hurt from our reactions. He loves hanging out on my hubbies shoulders so hubby puts him there for a few minutes then puts him down and Ollie seems satisfied. He's quite sneaky about it now, ambushing you if you bend over but he doesn't scratch like he did as a kitten. Play hard and some if his energy will dissipate. They seem to need active play to stay well behaved.

Franksmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the Lair, and to the world of a Sphynx. I also gave up on the counters, the Island, the furniture. They are very busy kitties ( that's what my grandsons teacher said he was in school when he would act up). But you will learn to love themno matter what the break or where they climb or whom Evers face they sit on

BluesMummy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I don't know how to get my baby (3 month old) Sphynx, Donut, to stop doing these things, please help!!
She'll climb on the kitchen counter and lick all the dishes and countertop which is EXTREMELY unsanitary what with her bathroom habits (she'll walk around with her crap all over her paws). I feed her well too but she seems to have a humongous appetite. It doesn't matter how many times we tell her "no" and put her back down on the ground, she'll just climb right back up.
The other awful thing she does is climb people, which is absolutely horrible. HORRIBLE! I have so many claw marks on my shoulders and upper back :{ She climbs all of my room mates and guests too. (I lightly trim her nails and it's still awful). I'll be crying out as she digs her claws into my skin, things like "no" and "bad cat" and "ouch" but she'll just continue. The only thing that will get her to jump off is crouching down then lightly falling backwards. But once you get up she climbs right back on. PLEASE PLEASE HELP
Welcome to the world of the sphynx !!! My Blue does all these things aswell, i think its just natural behaviour....sphynx are not the same as any other breed of cat & i find these little traits make them unique, blue climbs my legs like hes climbing a coconut tree lol, he walks on every unappropriate surface, he gets every where he shouldnt ive never met a kitten like him hes the friendliest little guy ive ever known & i wouldnt swap him or his ways for anything in the world :) !!!!

BluesMummy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh n can i just add 3 months sounds very young for him to have left his mummy, maybe thats why hes trying to get closer to you & your guests, my breeder refused to let any of her babies leave their mum untill they was at least 16 weeks old x

PrimateLove

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to Sphynx motherhood...

Nail trimming helps with the pain of climbing and the compressed air has been my saving grace. I can't remember the last time I had to use it because all I have to do is get the can out and MiniE runs.

We also do a number of play sessions throughout the day to wear her down and provided her a multi-level climby thing to climb vs. humans (but she still like the occasional surprise back climb). My baby is just over 6 months old.

Embracing-Joyx4

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the Lair.
1. Trim a little more but avoid the quick ( at first I had a tendency to not trim enough & their nails were too sharp growing quickly.)
2. If that doesn't do the trick trim more often once per week, same day every week.
3.You can try the nail caps (soft paws) they don't stay on forever so keep and eye.
4. Compressed air or good old fashion water bottle (cold water)
5. Stay firm with "no, get down" ( mine know what that means and now respond) it just takes time & consistency.
6. make sure your kitty has high areas to do lookout and perching. (I have 3 cat trees) some folk do things right on the wall shelving.
7. Play Play Play...they have a lot of energy.

Back