Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Trip to the vet

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Babas started yelling this morning and I assumed it was him announcing he had to poop (as he loves to share that with everyone). But after a few weird yowls more than usual I went up to see what he was doing. I started to clean the litter boxes and took the lid off the one and he watched me and then squatted on the top of the lid and peed a little. I told hubby we need to watch for a UTI as this was weird. Low and behold he went into the litter box 2 more times within 5 minutes. So I called the vet and they took us in at 12:30. Luckily I got a urine sample before we went. They said yes a UTI, but we got it VERY early as there were only a couple of white blood cells so that means it is about to be a full blown UTI soon. So he is on an antibiotic for 10 days. They also took blood again because he has lost weight since we had him in 3 months ago. Said it could be the progression of heart disease which he was diagnosed with, or perhaps kidney issues. We will get the results Tuesday.

Some info to share with you all....there is a new blood test that can catch kidney issues much sooner and it is new since our last visit 3 months ago. Our vet shared that the older tests would only catch kidney issues when kidney functions were reduced by 75%. There is now a new test that the markers can catch kidney issues with as little as 40% reduction so that is a great advancement.

He also shared that especially in male cats there is an increase in UTI's when Fall changes to Winter and Winter changes to Spring. He said there are no studies to prove this, but the number of cases does not lie. He said cats are affected by seasons like allergies and seasons affect them. Funny, but last Spring Babas had a UTI a year ago this month.

Just thought I'd share the latest advancements and tidbits I picked up. Hoping he feels relief soon and SO glad we caught it so early as we start vacation soon and I would be worried sick if we didn't catch it as soon as we did. My sweet boy was so good at the vets...extra loving tonight.

Patti

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Babas started yelling this morning and I assumed it was him announcing he had to poop (as he loves to share that with everyone). But after a few weird yowls more than usual I went up to see what he was doing. I started to clean the litter boxes and took the lid off the one and he watched me and then squatted on the top of the lid and peed a little. I told hubby we need to watch for a UTI as this was weird. Low and behold he went into the litter box 2 more times within 5 minutes. So I called the vet and they took us in at 12:30. Luckily I got a urine sample before we went. They said yes a UTI, but we got it VERY early as there were only a couple of white blood cells so that means it is about to be a full blown UTI soon. So he is on an antibiotic for 10 days. They also took blood again because he has lost weight since we had him in 3 months ago. Said it could be the progression of heart disease which he was diagnosed with, or perhaps kidney issues. We will get the results Tuesday.

Some info to share with you all....there is a new blood test that can catch kidney issues much sooner and it is new since our last visit 3 months ago. Our vet shared that the older tests would only catch kidney issues when kidney functions were reduced by 75%. There is now a new test that the markers can catch kidney issues with as little as 40% reduction so that is a great advancement.

He also shared that especially in male cats there is an increase in UTI's when Fall changes to Winter and Winter changes to Spring. He said there are no studies to prove this, but the number of cases does not lie. He said cats are affected by seasons like allergies and seasons affect them. Funny, but last Spring Babas had a UTI a year ago this month.

Just thought I'd share the latest advancements and tidbits I picked up. Hoping he feels relief soon and SO glad we caught it so early as we start vacation soon and I would be worried sick if we didn't catch it as soon as we did. My sweet boy was so good at the vets...extra loving tonight.

Patti

@Catzzzmeow give Babas a gentle hugs and kiss from me. Hope all the tests come back with good news.

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Awh, poor Babas! Sending hugs and healing vibes.
Hoping he starts to feel better soon on those antibiotics, and so great you caught it early.
UTI's are not fun for those guys :(

Also very interesting to know about the new tests to find out kidney issues.
I never would of thought season UTI's would occur, but I guess it does make sense.

Sending you all lots of hugs!
-Morgan

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@gold hazel @ nicolemorgan thank you. I found it interesting too there is a link to seasons. Before the vet came in, the tech had just mentioned there was an increase in UTI cases lately...just had 5 males come in on the same day with infections.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Catzzzmeow , oh Babas ... We are sending head kisses for a speedy recovery!
Glad you caught it early

** I use my pool spa test steps like the ones at Home Depot to monitor ph monthly -
I a scoop fresh clump from each then press the ph strip in the clump
Interestingly I got the same ph results as cystiocentesis amd my vet said it was fine to monitor with the pool spa strips ...
Ph will be a little higher if they just ate

You caught it early thank goodness -
It also serves Good reminder to all to watch frequent sudden in and out of box with kitties that could be an early UTI
that often is accompanied by little or no urine output

Thank you for sharing the kidney test info - will ask my vet about to too
Interesting about the seasonal correlations too

Healing vibes sent
(((Hugs)))

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@gold hazel @ nicolemorgan thank you. I found it interesting too there is a link to seasons. Before the vet came in, the tech had just mentioned there was an increase in UTI cases lately...just had 5 males come in on the same day with infections.

@Catzzzmeow that's so strange that a UTI is seasonal. Who would have thought?
Liam had one once when he was much younger. I honestly thought that it had to do with either of two things (or both): At that time, I only had one litter box for him and it was upstairs, but he spent more and more time downstairs with me during the day. I had wondered if holding it in caused it. The other thing I had thought about back then was that the litter was rather high in the litter box and I felt that the way he squatted to pee, his private parts were actually sitting in the litter. Either way, an antibiotic, a litter box downstairs as well as upstairs and keeping the litter level lower obviously solved the problem. Thank goodness he's been good since.

I'm glad you caught it early as I did too with Liam. We are good, observant mommies. :)

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Glad to hear you found out in a early stage that Babas has a UTI.
Toa, Ross and Jade want to give him lots of cuddles and we hope he will feel better soon.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Yoda mom thanks for checking in. Babas is doing well, only a couple of extra trips to the litter box in the night, but not crazy. I work from home on Mondays and have not seen him going in and out of the box more than usual, so the antibiotic is doing its magic. Again, just so happy we caught it so early. Now to wait for blood test results tomorrow. Fingers are crossed.

Patti

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Yoda mom thanks for checking in. Babas is doing well, only a couple of extra trips to the litter box in the night, but not crazy. I work from home on Mondays and have not seen him going in and out of the box more than usual, so the antibiotic is doing its magic. Again, just so happy we caught it so early. Now to wait for blood test results tomorrow. Fingers are crossed.

Patti
@Catzzzmeow being that you caught it early and started him on the antibiotics right away is why he's doing so well and not having the urge to urinate frequently (but you know that LOL). My fingers are crossed that his blood results come back with good results.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Great news. The blood work came back perfect. Big sigh of relief. The vet said that everything looked good. He said that his heart had sounded like no major changes when he listened, so for now we need to just make sure that he maintains this weight. I had mentioned to the vet that Azura has been chasing and tormenting him a bit more than usual. He said that the weight loss could be stress related, but he is not overly worried if he stays at this weight. According to the records, he weighed this amount in 2013 at one point and then gained back some weight. It then hit me...it could very well be stress. I remember we lost our girl in 2013 and Babas lost weight right after that and I worried. So I said to the vet, looks like we need to play with the girls more than usual in hopes to tire them out so they do not play run and chase with Babas. He said that is exactly what to do. He was also happy to hear the antibiotic for the UTI is doing the trick.

So for now we are relieved. End of June we take him back for another heart scan to make sure the meds are hopefully holding off and progression and he will check his weight then. Thanks for the well wishes you all have sent.

Purrs & Peace,
Patti

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Great news. The blood work came back perfect. Big sigh of relief. The vet said that everything looked good. He said that his heart had sounded like no major changes when he listened, so for now we need to just make sure that he maintains this weight. I had mentioned to the vet that Azura has been chasing and tormenting him a bit more than usual. He said that the weight loss could be stress related, but he is not overly worried if he stays at this weight. According to the records, he weighed this amount in 2013 at one point and then gained back some weight. It then hit me...it could very well be stress. I remember we lost our girl in 2013 and Babas lost weight right after that and I worried. So I said to the vet, looks like we need to play with the girls more than usual in hopes to tire them out so they do not play run and chase with Babas. He said that is exactly what to do. He was also happy to hear the antibiotic for the UTI is doing the trick.

So for now we are relieved. End of June we take him back for another heart scan to make sure the meds are hopefully holding off and progression and he will check his weight then. Thanks for the well wishes you all have sent.

Purrs & Peace,
Patti

@Catzzzmeow WHEW! Great news. Way to go Babas! :)

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Purrs & Peace,
Patti
Glad to hear it was a good vet visit!
Sending hugs! :)

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Glad you caught things early and he didn't get too ill. It's really amazing how well we know our pets and their behaviours! Thanks for sharing the kidney test info.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Goodness I got worried at the beginning of this thread. Glad to know that Babas is much improved. I really appreciate the additional information you provided in the initial post. Again, one of the things I love about this place is how much we can learn from each other. I was fascinated by the seasonal cycle of UTIs.

Again, glad to hear that he is okay, that beautiful wrinkled boy. He's lucky to have such great parents.

Back