Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

uh oh...vomit!

Brooke

Banned
Okay, so Helen threw up last night right after she finished eating. I mean, within 30 seconds of finishing. It was all food, and I noticed some of the kibble hadn't even been chewed up.

I've switched her over to Science Diet T/D which has very large nuggets, like the size of dog food kibble. Its supposed to be good for their teeth, the nuggets are extra crunchy and help break off tartar - though her teeth are in excellent condition - all white, freakishly clean for a 12 year old cat.

Anyway, I cleaned up the puke and she was acting fine so I decided just to keep an eye on her. Well, she just did it again, right after she ate. Same thing. Could it be that she's getting sick because she isn't chewing up the food?

It gets worse - I heard her puking in the other room, so I ran in there to see what was going on, and after she got done throwing up the food, I got a look at it and Walter ran over and STARTED EATING IT! :Badly: He ate almost all of it before I was able to stop him.

Now, I thought she'd just thrown up for the first time last night, but who knows? Maybe she's been puking every day while I am at work and Walter has been eating it!! Could he get sick from eating her puke? And, do you guys think she's vomiting because she isn't chewing up her food or is it something else?

She certainly isn't acting strange or sick at all. She's got plenty of energy, nothing out of the ordinary, regular poops...Should I switch her to a smaller sized kibble? She probably won't chew that either. I've noticed she doesn't chew up her Lysine treats - she swallows them whole, too. I'm at a loss.

And, I'm pretty grossed out by watching Walter eat her vomit. I will NOT let him kiss me tonight! Thoughts??

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My first thought is that she's either not chewing her food, or just eating to fast. Another thought that came to mind was a condition where basically the esophagus doesn't work as well and the food tends to come back up, I can't remember the name of it right now, but it's pretty rare and usually shows up alot earlier in life. I'd watch her and if it continues, get her to the vet.

2sphynxgirl

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My big black cat, Beltane, does this often. He 8 is & I have tried other foods and taken him to the vet before. For him, what it seems to come down to is having to always be the first to get food & eating too fast. If i feed him in a separate room from the others he does better. He didn't vomit at all in the 6 weeks between when Buster died & the new kittens came. I think it might be a territory thing for him. With Helen being so old, I don't know if that could be the same or not????

silly4lilly

Lairian
i think she may be eating too fast. river does this sometimes right after he eats and its the same thing-- the food isnt even chewed up.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Put Walter in another room tomorrow just to see if there is vomit left on the floor, I know you don't want to, but you need to find out. It's just for a day or two:Cry:. I don't think the vomit will hurt walter but is probably not a good habit.
Good luck,
keep us posted!

Brooke

Banned
Is there any way to make them slow down? I know they have special bowls for dogs that eat too fast, but I don't think they make them for cats.

She did go back and eat some more after I posted the first time, and it stayed down. :ThumbsUp:

Brooke

Banned
Put Walter in another room tomorrow just to see if there is vomit left on the floor, I know you don't want to, but you need to find out. It's just for a day or two:Cry:. I don't think the vomit will hurt walter but is probably not a good habit.
Good luck,
keep us posted!

Good call...

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I think Luvmysphynx is talking about reflux, but I do not think that is what is bothering Helen! Try to keep them seperate for A bit when you are not home so you can see how many times she does this. I would guess that she is eating too fast bcause the food is not chewed and would watch her next time she eats from A distance so you do not bother her, and see if she is having trouble with the food because if size or she is just eating fast! Good luck keep us updated!

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I think Luvmysphynx is talking about reflux, but I do not think that is what is bothering Helen! Try to keep them seperate for A bit when you are not home so you can see how many times she does this. I would guess that she is eating too fast bcause the food is not chewed and would watch her next time she eats from A distance so you do not bother her, and see if she is having trouble with the food because if size or she is just eating fast! Good luck keep us updated!
No, it's not reflux, it's a disorder that basically makes it hard for the cat to swollow and the food sits in the esophogus instead of getting to the stomach....I want to say it's called megaesophogus or something like that (sorry about the bad spelling, I'm tired and stressed!).

As for slowing her down, a breeder I knew that raised ragdolls had that problem with some kittens he had, what he did to stop it was put marbles in the food bowl, so the kittens had to eat around the marbles, thus slowing them down, not sure if that'll work for Helen, but it might be worth a try!

Brooke

Banned
So, I took admin's advice and separated them today...no vomit! :ThumbsUp:

I'm kind of afraid to put marbles in her food bowl, she can't be dumb enough to eat one..but who knows! Her kibble is almost the size of a small marble...But, I've noticed if I sit with her while she eats, she slows down some and actually chews. Maybe she knows if I'm there I won't let Walter come steal food from her?

At any rate, if this is the only crisis I have to deal with, I'm happy! Thanks for the input everybody!

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
So, I took admin's advice and separated them today...no vomit! :ThumbsUp:

I'm kind of afraid to put marbles in her food bowl, she can't be dumb enough to eat one..but who knows! Her kibble is almost the size of a small marble...But, I've noticed if I sit with her while she eats, she slows down some and actually chews. Maybe she knows if I'm there I won't let Walter come steal food from her?

At any rate, if this is the only crisis I have to deal with, I'm happy! Thanks for the input everybody!
She sounds so much like Oogie ROFL I can't give him canned food anymore - He inhales it and then ends up throwing up because he ate to fast!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Brooke i agree marbles may be too small, i would rather you try basketballs for now. Let me know how it works! (just kidding LOL):LOL: . B ut i think marbles may be too small.

Brooke

Banned
Hmmm, basketballs...I'll get right on that!

You think she eats her kibble too fast, you guys oughta see this girl inhale a Chicken McNugget!! I have to get my hand out of the way or I'm likely to draw back a nub where my finger used to be!! :LOL:

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hmmm, basketballs...I'll get right on that!

You think she eats her kibble too fast, you guys oughta see this girl inhale a Chicken McNugget!! I have to get my hand out of the way or I'm likely to draw back a nub where my finger used to be!! :LOL:
Her and Oogie have definatly got to be related ROFL Marbels where ok for the kittens - But how about the big shooter marbles if the problem continues, those are big enough she shouldn't be able to eat them (but, if she's as much like Oogie as I think, she may find a way to stuff one in her mouth still! ROFL)

Brooke

Banned
Her and Oogie have definatly got to be related ROFL Marbels where ok for the kittens - But how about the big shooter marbles if the problem continues, those are big enough she shouldn't be able to eat them (but, if she's as much like Oogie as I think, she may find a way to stuff one in her mouth still! ROFL)

Yeah, that could work..or, I have a bunch of polished stones I could put in her bowl - kinda flat and about an inch and a half in diameter. I know she won't be able to get one of those in her mouth. I'll try it!

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Never say never ROFL Oogie is like Pitrottmom describes her boys - In fact I HAVE to use metal dishes, he chewed up the plastic one I use to use for him - There's a ready we call him chunky monkey!

Brooke

Banned
Never say never ROFL Oogie is like Pitrottmom describes her boys - In fact I HAVE to use metal dishes, he chewed up the plastic one I use to use for him - There's a ready we call him chunky monkey!

Oh jeez, admin's basketball idea is starting to sound better and better!! :LOL:

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Well I was kidding with basketballs, but realistically how about golf balls? The only thing I would worry about is the balls deterring her or bothering her from eating.:Surprise:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back