Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

what brand cat food do you use?

what brand cat food do you prefer?

• Science Diet

Votes: 45 8.7%
  • Iams

Votes: 34 6.6%
  • Other

Votes: 378 72.8%
  • Raw Diet

Votes: 62 11.9%

• Total voters

SphynxMomma16

Lairian
I love any Hills products. They are great they spend millions of dollars testing all their diets and take up to 5+years testing them before putting them on the shelf. They also keep a sample of every batch made in a food library so they can do additional testing even past expiry or if any complanints or reason for further testing. They have diets for every life stage and every health condition which is awesome! The Hills diets are sold in veterinary offices only but they have the Science Diet line available in pet stores. Same company, same testing, same great diets.
The hills healthy advantage kitten food is what I feed currently. My baby loves its! It has balanced health for skin, easy to digest and for his GI health, and proper pH to promote good bladder health and prevent crystals or stones ( especially good for male cats).
It also has l-lysine in the ingredients, and it is easy for him to transition on a adult diet with the same benefits.

Medi-cal development kitten food is good too and their adult lines, and purina veterinary exclusive diets are good too and more cost effective if you are looking to spend a little less.

SphynxMomma16

Lairian
A little blurb on AAFCO statements:

AAFCO statements are on every bag of food ( at least in canada lol). Food companies do not care what one 'claims to be true about their food'. A company can advertise false claims..show pictures of meat and veggies on the front, when their diets may not even contain those ingredients lol in the food idustry "hollistic" means nothing, any company can put it on the bag for advertisement. It can claim it gives your cat wings (LOL) and that is allowed.
The only thing regulated is the namr, wt of bag, cat or dog, An ingredient list & an AAFCO statement. The rest is advertisment.

An AAFCO statement is found under the ingredient list on any bag of food. There are 2 parts of an AAFCO statement:

1. The first is formulated vs tested.
It will say something like this " This food has been formulated to meet..."

If it says "formulated" = bad
Means it has never actually been tested on real cats to make these claims to be true

If it says "tested" =good
It means that it has actually been tested on real cats to make these claims.

2. The end of the statement will tell you if it is a balanced diet for adults, senior cats or only for kittens

"All life stages"= bad
It is high calorie/fat and high protein which is great for growing kittens
...but not for elderly cats etc. If fed to an adult cat they eat less food but tend to gain weight no matter how much you feed because it is fatty.
It basically means it meets the nutritional requirements for kittens, and you're feeding kitten food to your adult pet.

Just something to keep in mind when looking for a good cat food, try and find one with the proper AAFCO statement as well.

(Scary part is like 80% of diets sold in pet stores don't have a good AAFCO statememt)

Yoda mom

Staff member
1. Dr Tims chase dry food - not grain free- all 4 sphynx do great on this- (1 spayed female , 3 neutered males)

by a vet you can ask questions to and never recalled- dry food addict eats this - low phosph, mag etc good for urinary tract health - keep lots of fresh water avail- all four eat this no skin no poo issues no vet visits - no more urinary crystals since one who had it on this food now
(Also Using up bag of a Halo sensitive seafood medley - low phosphorus but dont want to feed too much fish)

2. Fromm Game a Bird recipe - grain free - works wonders for my Bengals sensitive tummy - no more eat n puke -

Tried tiki , soulistic (made by Weruva) and all refused to eat it

FYI - I buy all my food at chewy on line - free bag, free case program on many foods and even cases too inlcuding Tiki
Cat - just call and ask - also incredible 100% satisfaction guarantee too

wayneb

Lairian
Hills hasn't had any cat food recalls since 2007 so that's good. But they did have a salmonella recall for small breed dog food in 2014. And a labeling recall in 2015.
Really looking forward to getting away from Hill's Science Diet. Too many fillers and both my fur challenged kids have problems keeping it down. I'm no expert in BM's (or anything for that matter) but they seem well formed and almost dry.

SphynxMomma16

Lairian
Oh yah, with the recalls they will pay for all veterinary checkups for any pets on it, testing to see if they are affected by the recall and any treatment if needed! Not many companies will do that.

hardware

Lairian
Oh yah, with the recalls they will pay for all veterinary checkups for any pets on it, testing to see if they are affected by the recall and any treatment if needed! Not many companies will do that.

I used to have both of mine on Science Diet and for whatever reason runny poop started taking place. That's the main reason I switched to something else. One thing that always bothered me about Hills is that Vet's are paid to sell Hills products. Of course vets are going to push that product over other stuff. And because of that vets will probably not recommend any other brand.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I used to have both of mine on Science Diet and for whatever reason runny poop started taking place. That's the main reason I switched to something else. One thing that always bothered me about Hills is that Vet's are paid to sell Hills products. Of course vets are going to push that product over other stuff. And because of that vets will probably not recommend any other brand.

@hardware, the Science Diet that you used that caused the runny poop wasn't grain-free?

My vet over the years recommended all kinds of food for my dogs and cats. I'm always asked what am I feeding them and even if it was a particular supermarket food, if my vet felt that it was good enough, he wanted me to continue with it.

oliveandalex

Lairian
My breeder had been giving Olive Purina Kitten Chow and her poo was horrible and runny when I first got her. We would have to wipe her every time she used the bathroom. Now we've changed her over to Natural Balance Grain Free and she seems to love it and poo problems are non-existent!

KitKat26

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I feed raw HOWEVER sometimes Piper steals Booey's kibble which is taste of the wild rocky mountain feline formula roasted venison and smoked salmon and I have not had any poo problems.

KrystalMcFly

Lairian
We use Royal Canin skin and hair dry food, Rubix doesnt get as oily or dirty since we started using this food. Its not cheap though, it costs around $35 for 2kgs :(

Chilly Willy

Lairian
image.png
image.jpeg
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if I posted what my picky naked eats, but he is eating EVO the chicken kind. He LOVES chicken. It is very high in protein, and we have had no bowel problems.
If we give him an extra scoop and he doesn't eat it all at once, he will leave the leftovers and wait for a "fresh serving." Little stinker

Last edited:

AnetteMR

Lairian
I just finished reading through all of these posts(!) because I really want to change Mireya's food. But I can't decide to which brand. Obviously I don´t have as much choices in my country as you guys.. But 'Royal Canin-for sphynx breed' feeders, please tell me, what do you think of it?
Thanks in advance,
Anette & Mireya :rolleyes:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@AnetteMR , I google searched reviews and read positve reviews for sphynx kitties :)
We can't get it in thr USA - yrs ago I had good results with the alternative RC special 33

hopeful others can chime in with advice on Royal canin sphynx food for you

Keep us updated and head smooches to Mireya!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@AnetteMR , I google searched reviews and read positve reviews for sphynx kitties :)
We can't get it in thr USA - yrs ago I had good results with the alternative RC special 33

hopeful others can chime in with advice on Royal canin sphynx food for you

Keep us updated and head smooches to Mireya!

@AnetteMR @Yoda mom years ago when some members on here were looking for the Royal Canin Sphynx breed cat food, we couldn't find it in the USA. So calling the RC company, they said that the Siamese breed RC was comparable. I don't really think any of of purchased it actually. I had been using RC for a long time from the very beginning and it wasn't until I finally switched to Science Diet Grain Free did I see how horrible the RC was for my sphynx kitties. As soon as I changed foods, there was no or hardly any blood ever in the litter boxes. Their poo all firmed up...even my Grayson and he was the worst for the longest time poo-wise. I had been using pumpkin for almost forever and it just wasn't helping much while using the RC.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Yoda mom I recently tried the Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Venison and Pea Formula, but Liam was vomiting way too much! Grayson seemed to have a skin problem! I stopped it and they are doing better on the old food ... the Science Diet grain free above.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@AnetteMR, @GoldHazel , instead of buying little bags of treats ,
I buy a big bag science diet urinary hairball formula - ( non prescription unlike C/D formula)

They love it and I like the ph and phosphurus numbers for urinary health
Especially with male kitties that can be prone to urinary crystals

They run for these as treats - I use these to train to "their blankie" and a spot away from doors
image.png

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@AnetteMR, @GoldHazel , instead of buying little bags of treats ,
I buy a big bag science diet urinary hairball formula - ( non prescription unlike C/D formula)

They love it and I like the ph and phosphurus numbers for urinary health
Especially with male kitties that can be prone to urinary crystals

They run for these as treats - I use these to train to "their blankie" and a spot away from doors
View attachment 68721

@Yoda mom I stopped buying and giving treats. I used to buy the comparable treats made from Science Diet (grain free chicken), but I had kitties that used to vomit afterwards! I now use their dry kibble (shown above) for treats. I call it "their snack" and give it to them at their bedtime. They all love it.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@AnetteMR , please keep us updated :)
We would love your review of the Royal Canin sphynx food

I found these reviews online
There are 5 product reviews for Royal Canin Sphynx Adult

Royal Canin Sphynx Adult

Royal Canin Sphynx Adult dry cat food is tailor-made for Sphynx cats, appropriate energy content, supports heart function, special nutrient combinations for healthy skin

Review this product too!
Sort by
_blank.gif

Royal Canin for Ragdolls
Great product & price my 2 ragdolls love this :)

gillian wood (03/05/15)Back to Royal Canin Sphynx Adult
_blank.gif

Sphynx-tastic!
I have recently rehomed an 8 year old sphynx and have tried a couple of different brands to see what will suit. I was a bit worried that her stools were soft with other brands, but after just a day of feeding her on Royal Canin her stools were solid. I am delighted with this product.

Jen (17/03/14)Back to Royal Canin Sphynx Adult
_blank.gif

Sphynx owners please read
We have 2 sphinx cats and were advised when we bought then they had a sensitive digestive system and could be quite smelly. After trying 3 well known dry foods we were resigned to having 2 cats with life long stomach probs That was untill we heard about Royal Canin sphynx food. It's made them regular and also improved their smell.In addition both their skins are in excellent condition.don't have any doubts Order this food for your Spynx and have no more stinks!!!!

(04/03/14)Back to Royal Canin Sphynx Adult
_blank.gif

Brilliant.
I was warned that sphynx cats were prone to making bad smells and leaving poop marks as they had such sensitive stomachs. All I can say, is that this food is magic. I may be tempting fate, or perhaps it's because our sphynx isn't very old, but either way, since discovering Royal Canin, we never have any nasty surprises. I would never consider any other food, EVER! The cat loves it, and it's good for him. What's not to like? If more people used this food, I'm convinced that Sphynx Cats would not be regarded as such high maintenance cats.

(03/01/14)Back to Royal Canin Sphynx Adult
_blank.gif

Great food
My three Sphynx will not eat any other food since trying this, they love it.

Barbara (12/06/12)Back to Royal Canin Sphynx Adult
Back to Royal Canin Sphynx Adult

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@AnetteMR , please keep us updated :)
We would love your review of the Royal Canin sphynx food

I found these reviews online
There are 5 product reviews for Royal Canin Sphynx Adult

Royal Canin Sphynx Adult

Royal Canin Sphynx Adult dry cat food is tailor-made for Sphynx cats, appropriate energy content, supports heart function, special nutrient combinations for healthy skin

Review this product too!
Sort by
_blank.gif

Royal Canin for Ragdolls
Great product & price my 2 ragdolls love this :)

gillian wood (03/05/15)Back to Royal Canin Sphynx Adult
_blank.gif

Sphynx-tastic!
I have recently rehomed an 8 year old sphynx and have tried a couple of different brands to see what will suit. I was a bit worried that her stools were soft with other brands, but after just a day of feeding her on Royal Canin her stools were solid. I am delighted with this product.

Jen (17/03/14)Back to Royal Canin Sphynx Adult
_blank.gif

Sphynx owners please read
We have 2 sphinx cats and were advised when we bought then they had a sensitive digestive system and could be quite smelly. After trying 3 well known dry foods we were resigned to having 2 cats with life long stomach probs That was untill we heard about Royal Canin sphynx food. It's made them regular and also improved their smell.In addition both their skins are in excellent condition.don't have any doubts Order this food for your Spynx and have no more stinks!!!!

(04/03/14)Back to Royal Canin Sphynx Adult
_blank.gif

Brilliant.
I was warned that sphynx cats were prone to making bad smells and leaving poop marks as they had such sensitive stomachs. All I can say, is that this food is magic. I may be tempting fate, or perhaps it's because our sphynx isn't very old, but either way, since discovering Royal Canin, we never have any nasty surprises. I would never consider any other food, EVER! The cat loves it, and it's good for him. What's not to like? If more people used this food, I'm convinced that Sphynx Cats would not be regarded as such high maintenance cats.

(03/01/14)Back to Royal Canin Sphynx Adult
_blank.gif

Great food
My three Sphynx will not eat any other food since trying this, they love it.

Barbara (12/06/12)Back to Royal Canin Sphynx Adult
Back to Royal Canin Sphynx Adult

@Yoda mom it's a shame that Royal Canin doesn't sell this in the USA.

AnetteMR

Lairian
Thank you for the answers, friends!
@Yoda mom I will surely keep you all updated on RC sphynx food as soon as I start using it! Have to finish the old food first, lol. But the reviews you found online are pretty encouraging. Can't wait to try it out already!

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That is actually the food Pixie gets.
I've fed her on RC Sphynx 33 and have to say she likes it. I alternate with this and the Indoor Adult one. (Fed indoor a long while because I got a really good deal with 2kg extra)
The RC Sphynx 33 turned her from "OMG POISON GAS ATTACK!" to non smelly inside of a week. Firm poop and a happy cat.
She likes it (Allegedly it's specially shaped as well so they can eat it better?) and doesn't overeat on it either.
She did put on a little weight, it IS very rich, but then she does need the energy.
She's non smelly, no bad breath, teeth are fine, poop is good and best of all - she likes it.
From here it's a total thumbs up.
I know that a lot of people go "OMG Grain! There's GRAIN in it!" but... Pixie doesn't eat raw. This is what she likes. So that's good enough for me.

Back