Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

WOW! Everyone, Please read!!

Brooke

Banned
I'm on the ASPCA mailing list, and received this email the other day. It's a new piece of legislation called the "HAPPY Act" that will allow pet owners to take an annual income tax deduction of up to $3,500 for pet care expenses, including veterinary care costs!

Please follow the attached link from ASPCA to send a letter to your state representative to ask him/her to support the HAPPY Act, H.R. 3501.

This is for real! I spent over $10k in vet bills last year, and this would have been a HUGE help.

https://secure2.convio.net/aspca/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=2605&JServSessionIdr002=g4qee90d01.app39b

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Pets are for sure not cheap! Padoodimus (the white Bullie) gets custom allergy serum made for him, eats a prescription diet ... pretty much he is allergic to everything outside! People laugh because he is so high maintenance but he is awesome! Plus if your dog was $5200 you would also take care of him too! He is 9 now & when he is gone I want a Hurst for him; all my friends say I have to! LOL:LOL: The Mayor says he is going to go on vacation for a month when that happens.... cuz' I'll be a wreck. :Surprise:

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I heard about this a few months ago. They were talking about it on a radio morning show I listen to. Most people were for it, the only ones who weren't were the ones of course who don't own pets. I felt like saying that if they don't feel like pets cost a lot then they can pay the bill for the over $2000 I spent trying to save my cat, and all of that was spent in about a three weeks time period. I hope it passes, but knowing our government it won't. They can come up with great ideas that never come to flourish and then come up with some idiotic stuff that takes no time to pass :Angry: I swear sometimes it is really hard to live right next to the Nations Capital because more then once I've wanted to drive my car through a building up there.

Brooke

Banned
I heard about this a few months ago. They were talking about it on a radio morning show I listen to. Most people were for it, the only ones who weren't were the ones of course who don't own pets. I felt like saying that if they don't feel like pets cost a lot then they can pay the bill for the over $2000 I spent trying to save my cat, and all of that was spent in about a three weeks time period. I hope it passes, but knowing our government it won't. They can come up with great ideas that never come to flourish and then come up with some idiotic stuff that takes no time to pass :Angry: I swear sometimes it is really hard to live right next to the Nations Capital because more then once I've wanted to drive my car through a building up there.

I hear ya. I almost put my house into foreclosure last year trying to save Virgil and Harold. $10,000 in 4 months and they both died anyway :Cry:. Plus, I don't have any kids, so I'm not taking any tax credit there...I don't understand why anyone would be against a tax credit!? Anyway, I won't get started talking politics...my ugly side comes out! :Furious:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am still paying off our Care credit bill from the 2 cats i had to have pts within one month of each other.
Today is 9 years since my Stripe was pts after spending 15 thousnad trying to save her.
She had CRF like Coco does.
I wonder if I can post her poem and story on here since she was not a sphynx.

Brooke

Banned
I am still paying off our Care credit bill from the 2 cats i had to have pts within one month of each other.
Today is 9 years since my Stripe was pts after spending 15 thousnad trying to save her.
She had CRF like Coco does.
I wonder if I can post her poem and story on here since she was not a sphynx.

I would like to hear Stripe's story and poem.

harley

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks for the info. i will be glad to send it along. It is good for everyone, wheather they understand it or not.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe if there was A tax credit more people would be pet owners! Heck it would be A great way to keep them out of shelters!

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Maybe if there was A tax credit more people would be pet owners! Heck it would be A great way to keep them out of shelters!

I believe that is why they want the tax credit, so people would feel more comfortable getting shelter animals that may need medical attention... It's such a great idea, my hubby and I don't plan on having any kids, so we pay taxes that pay for schools etc that we won't be needing, so it would be nice to get a little back for the critters we do take care of :ThumbsUp:

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you for this information Brooke! I just filled this out and submitted it.

My dog needed emergency surgery two years back after eating a very large amount of carpet. Not only would the tax credit be helpful for those of us who incur costs like this but there's also the weekly, monthly, yearly expenses which are far more than 3500 per year anyway!

AngelSphynx

Lairian
I'm on the ASPCA mailing list, and received this email the other day. It's a new piece of legislation called the "HAPPY Act" that will allow pet owners to take an annual income tax deduction of up to $3,500 for pet care expenses, including veterinary care costs!

Please follow the attached link from ASPCA to send a letter to your state representative to ask him/her to support the HAPPY Act, H.R. 3501.

This is for real! I spent over $10k in vet bills last year, and this would have been a HUGE help.

https://secure2.convio.net/aspca/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=2605&JServSessionIdr002=g4qee90d01.app39b

Wow that would be sooo great!!! I am def sending a letter. Thanks for telling everyone about it!

WinterLily

Lairian
What a great idea! Thank you Brooke. I followed your link and bookmarked it for later. Since I live on a budget and give my pets their shots myself (except rabies, of course), it would be great to be able to deduct the cost of pet care. Cat food is over $20 a case for me and dog food is $38 for a large bag. Then all the stuff that goes with pets like leashes, litter boxes and litter, toys....... This bill would be a huge benefit to many people.

Back