Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Admitted to hospital...

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well, I don't know what to make of this... Yesterday evening I noticed that the 3rd eyelid on Butchie's right eye was not going back in it's place so to speak, and making him squint on that side. I mentioned it to my husband, and he was like 'oh yea, so it is'! Before that we'd not noticed it showing... I did also mention that he's been more subdued and not really been fussed about playing or running amok. And again this morning he seemed quieter than usual, but still okay.

Fast forward to me coming home from work on my lunch (I live close to my work) and I was shocked when I saw Butchie! His right eye was nearly half covered by the 3rd eyelid and there was this milky thick mucus coming from his nose, he was breathing through his mouth, and he was sooo lethargic just lying in in his snuggle cave. My hubby had been engrossed in his work and hadn't noticed, but then it got worse sooo quickly, I can't really blame him... Off to emergency appointment at the vet's and his temperature was through the roof, to quote the vet.

Apparently it just so happens that Doxycycline is not doing much for him! He's been on it for the last 12 days to see if it would clear up his Mycoplasma infection, but the symptoms have still been there, albeit in a reduced quantity... It seems to have given this other infection a chance to blossom as well! I mean, what is going on with my little boy?! :cry:

So, we will have to try our way forward with another antibiotic, and then maybe another... Just want him to be well!

poorB.jpg
poorB2.jpg

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sending prayers for sweet Butchie and you and your hubby! How scary that must've been to come home to see him like that :( Hopefully the vet can fix him up in no time <3

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I hope the vet can get him righted. Hugs
Lair Prayers are sent that they can find the right meds to rest these issues.
Oh that poor baby. Hugs to you. Hope they get him back on track soon
Definitely praying for Butchie and you as well. We all know the terror you are feeling :(
Sending prayers for sweet Butchie and you and your hubby! How scary that must've been to come home to see him like that :( Hopefully the vet can fix him up in no time <3

Thank you all! It's so empty and quiet without him... Hes getting anti-inflammatory drugs and a drip to get his fever down and to hydrate him... poor little guy! Waiting on a call from the vet to see how he is doing...

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Cinafina oh sweetie sending the biggest hugs and healing vibes , prayers for sweet Butchie
So so sorry he is not feeling well .
I am following closely for updates and sending a lair full of prayers

Wanted to share this study mentioning a different med than doxcycline
Treatment of Mycoplasma spp. infections in cats

(My kitty was on the Enroflaxcin mentioned im the article and it worked well.

He had Idoxuridine and famciclivor (though it's an anti viral ) in the past for his eye )

Last edited:

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Yoda mom Thank you! I'm looking for any input or anything that might help *sigh* I'll have a good read through it!

I had an update by phone this morning from the vet on duty saying he'd been comfortable enough during the night, and the nurses kept cleaning the gunk out of his nostrils every so often. He's been eating a bit which is better than not eating at all, he's getting eyedrops (antibiotic ones I think...), Bisolvon, and apparently he's tolerating the saline drip really well. His temperature was quite stabile during the night but then went back up in the morning again. Another vet that we've seen before, and same one that neutered him and took the swabs and tests, looked at him this afternoon and I just spoke to her. She said he was doing okay... Temp was normal for a few hours, but then up again, they put icepacks under him (under towels) and gave him a cold IV drip to help cool him down. Now he's had an injection with some 24 hour antibiotic, and will undergo a nebulisation tonight. I admit I had no clue what that was until she explained.

She said if his temp stayed normal for a few hours he might be able to go home later tonight, but that she'd prefer to keep him there and check him again in the morning. Hubby and I had already talked about it, and no way we're bringing him home if he's not up to it, just to sit there watching him and worrying!! So... will see what tonight and tomorrow brings, and keep hoping.

nudieluvr

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Cinafina so sorry to hear that Butchie hasn't been doing well. It's so hard with these guys, sometimes when they start getting ill it seems to go from bad to worse so quickly. I'm happy to hear that he's at the vet. They must be giving him wonderful care. I'm sure the nebulizer is going to be a huge help. I know it has helped two of my kitties in the past who have suffered from upper respiratory issues. Hopefully, with some fluids and meds he will be back in good health shortly!

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
He's back at home!!! :giggle: Vet called this morning and said he was a lot brighter and seemed more himself and was even purring, and that he'd be better off at home in familiar stressfree environment. We if course have a bagful of meds; as always bisolvon and metacam, Isathal eye cream and a 5 day course of Clavaseptin. Check up on Monday with the same vet he's seen before. I feel a lot better that we have one that has got to know him and his issues a bit!

He's some way off being well still, and is a bit worn out to say the least after his ordeal, but seems so pleased and chilled to be back home! It's sooo nice to have him back :love:

The vet still doesn't know what's going on, and bottom line is, they are baffled. She said they just don't know what tests to perform on him, and that it might be something they don't know how to test for. The tests and swabs they already did are pretty much as comprehensive as it gets, and she admitted it didn't come back with the results she'd expected...

I looked to see if there was a faculty for veterinary medicine in Leeds, but there's not... I'm considering contacting the school of molecular and cellular biology to see if they'd like a case study :rolleyes:

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Cinafina so sorry to hear that Butchie hasn't been doing well. It's so hard with these guys, sometimes when they start getting ill it seems to go from bad to worse so quickly. I'm happy to hear that he's at the vet. They must be giving him wonderful care. I'm sure the nebulizer is going to be a huge help. I know it has helped two of my kitties in the past who have suffered from upper respiratory issues. Hopefully, with some fluids and meds he will be back in good health shortly!

Yes, it seems the nebulizer helped! :) And I do feel he was given really great care 24/7 for the last 2 days, which is a relief when you can't do anything to help them yourself. But it's so true, we were gobsmacked by how quickly it went from noticing that something seemed off, to a basically life threatening high temperature! Really shocking... :oops:

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Yoda mom He's a lot better than he was but he's worn out the poor thing! He's lost a bit of weight, could feel his spine more than before. He's had some dry food, a liquid snack pouch and a drink of water though so I'm relieved at that. He's having a sleep now, and I think I will too! :sleep: Will be watching him closely until our check-up on Monday. Thank you for checking in again! :)

Back