Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Do you travel with your Sphynx?

Do you take your Sphynx cat on day trips, vacations, the park?

• Yes

Votes: 78 73.6%
  • No

Votes: 28 26.4%

• Total voters

Streaker

Lairian
Streaker goes with me just about anywhere I go when I go out. He has his own pet stroller with a pillow, a fleece blanket, a snuggie (if needed) and a soft pad on the bottom. He gets lots of attention and people just love him. He likes to sleep in his stroller when we're not going places, or if I am not yet ready to climb into bed.

N

nofuratu

I travel everywhere with my Sphynx "Nofuratu". He's leash trained and has a big stroller for big trips like walks in the woods or touring a theme park, and a small umbrella stroller for quick trips in the mall. He usually just sits in his travel bag and I just set the bag in the grocery cart while shopping. He likes to travel in his snuggli also. The last two years, we have taken him to see fireworks in the park on Canada day and he loves to watch the lights! The noise doesnt faze him. He has his own blog "Adventures of a naked Cat" www.nofuratu.blogspot.com where he critiques the places he visits. I think it is great that you travel with your Sphynx too!

Rustshark

Lairian
We take ours on daily walks, weather permitting. They LOVE there pet stroller and will sleep in it when it's in the living room. Most recently, we traveled across 5 states / 900 miles with all 3 of them they traveled beautifully! We've also taken them (ussually 1 at a time) to our local pet store or on a quick trip to pick up our daughter from school etc. I ussualy put them in a softsided "purse" type bag for trips like these. We met this older lady, who yelled accross the store to her husband "Carl, come see this lady's dog!" I corrected her and said "Mam, it's a cat". Carl wondered over and said " that dosen't look like a dog?" I again said, it's a cat. He said, "Oh, that explains it" LOL!

hfwebb

Lairian
I have taken both Bert and Ernie on road trips. Twice Atlanta to Austin in the car. They travel very well. Snuggle together and sleep most of the way. I place a litter box behind the seat and they will use this when they need. I also take Bert on local trips to Petsmart, local festivals wherever they will allow. I put him in his stroller and he loves the attention he gets.

nathalie44

Lairian
No I can't besause I get the plane ( I'm french) and I go to the USA, and stay only 15 days and you must have isolation..
My sun ( 19) stay at our home with all animals ( 3 dogs , 4 cats, snakes, 2 horses), but my "nude" do always some allergies when I m not at home ...
(sorry for my english , hope you understand)

Cathie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We are on day 2 of a 5 day cross country move. The cats are doing great. Sleeping most of the day, playing in the hotels at night.
Confused, but as long as we are there, they are fine. Piglet will not leave my side in the truck. He sleeps with at least 1 part of his body touching my leg. He wants in my lap, but I will not let him, Im driving the moving truck, and pulling a car and trailer.

Marnasobsession

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
No food stores...against the health laws. Hardware stores like home depot and lowe's, some thrift stores. Maybe some small owned businesses.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I take Nofuratu EVERYWHERE! Grocery stores, theatres, hospitals, dr's offices, wallmart , the mall..department stores, restaurants, theme parks, fairs.....you name it, he's been in it.

He has sat through, and payed close attention in THREE school plays!! So far, in 2 years we have been kicked out of Tim hortons (once), Costco (once) and were in the city hospital for a week before being asked to leave, oh and kicked out of an outdoor flea market!!! Ridiculous!!! We gave them a bad review on his blog. Here it is...very amusing http://nofuratu.blogspot.com/2008/08/nbaac-sussex-giant-flea-market-0-meows.html

(Nofuratu works with me at our local flea market every weekend.)
He is rarely kicked out of places....its only happened maybe 4 times....

I know I am breaking some rules, but he is always either in his travel bag, stroller or on a leash. I bathe him before we go somewhere so he has little dander on him. I know he is worm free, vaccinated, tolerant of people and has passed a "therapy pet" exam so I figure...what the hell!! I'll bring him with me and if we are asked to leave, we leave...no biggie! (Except for the Sussex flea market...that pissed me off! LOL)

People carry little dogs around in purses almost everywhere, and get away with it so why shouldnt a cat?

To be honest, a big reason I bring him everywhere is a bit selfish on my part....(although I know he prefers coming with me to staying home alone). Ive had severe depression since I was 20, and I get quite exascerbated dealing with people.....Nofur helps me get out of bed, and out of the house! If I can take him with me I am more likely to go places even if I dont feel like it. Plus he gets all the attention and I dont have to deal with people so much....

That leads me to the other reason I bring him everywhere, which is less selfish....I see how much he cheers people up!!! He's so special and makes many people so happy that I feel obligated to share him with others...even if its for just a few minutes you see peoples eyes light up! Thats what encouraged me to get him registered as a therapy pet.

Also, I sort of see Nofuratu as this super intellectual, superhero type character who is preparing to take over the world! LOL He is sort of a diplomat....He raises money for charities, attends events and reports on them in his blog. He's been in the local paper 3 times, and TV once. He has his own little business cards with his photo , web site and job description: Critic, Philanthropist and Entrepreneur. Little kids, and even adults get excited when they hear about all the stuff he has done......even JUST A LITTLE NAKED CAT CAN DO BIG THINGS!!! I think it inspires people and gives them a good laugh. Some people dont get it....but thats their loss......

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Wow! i think it's fantastic that nofuratu goes so many places with you and LOVE reading his blog!!! I would love to travel with Mug-Y but he can get so anxious :Dizzy: I'm hoping when the weather warms up here (which, let's face it is only for about 2 weeks of the year) I can try taking him in the car on small journeys.

I bought a harness and it was amazing...It was like he suddenly didn't have a neck!! I wonder if the figure eight one might be better than over the head.

X

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I wonder if the figure eight one might be better than over the head.

X

Snuffie has the figure 8 harness. Its working very well for her training but I'm hoping to find a harness one. I think that one sounds so much more comfy for me. The only complaint about the figure 8 harness is that when she is not on her leash and is walking around it tends to tilt or slide down to one side of her. As long as she is leashed with it its great tho.

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks for the info, I've found a couple of the harness's that do up underneath on EBay so will order one and try that.

X

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Took Snuffie to Grandma's today. We figured she would want to see her Grandcat. She got to play with her little Jack Russel Tiny,,,it was so cute! She checked the place out and then she was all ready to play with everyone and tease the dog. It was so cute and funny.

RuthArt

Lairian
We are taking a vacation in October (driving up the Pacific Coast) and are thinking about taking Pinkz. I have a harness for him and covered it with a soft fleece fabric.....it's very sturdy, since I worry about velcro coming undone, this one has the clips that fit into each other. I also use a snap hook leash, so now we need to start practicing walking with it outside in the back yard.

I looked at baby slings today, but couldn't find anything that was not bulky. So I'll probably make one of denim and lined with fleece that will cling to the body better.

I saw someone with a stroller at Pet Smart, but I wonder how it closes enough so the cat does not come out (I think hers was just a baby stroller, not a real pet stroller). Will check out the ones on Ebay to see what they look like.

Since we will have the dog with us and take her to the dog parks, we will have to leave the cat in the car while the dog plays. Will take an extra crate that will hold the cat box. The last time we took him to a friends for the day, he held his potty until we got home.....he has good control!!! I think he didn't use the box I took because it didn't have his smell in it, so will have to 'seed' a box of litter for travel, lol.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Nofuratu uses a regular human baby stroller and we love it. I find its much sturdier than pet strollers, holds more weight and has lots of pockets etc. They also have little hooks in the seat area so even though Nofuratu doesnt bother jumping out of the stroller......its too comfy.....if Im in a high traffic area I put his harness on and then just clip his harness to the seatbelt hook on the baby seat. You can even use a small leash as an extension. Gives em room to move around and get comfy but they cant jump out.

QwertysMama

Lairian
Our in laws have a beach house about 300 miles away that we go to a few times a year. We brought Qwerty with us last September because we didn't have anyone who could watch him. My husband drove and I kept Qwerty in his carrier on my lap. But of course, 20 miles or so into the trip I unzipped the carrier just a tiny bit and kept my hand in there the whole time so I could pet him. He mewed a little bit in the very beginning but by the end he was fine.

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am starting to take Dinka out now that he is reaching 5 months. That way he will just think that it's the normal thing to do. I agree with Nofaratus mom - I like the looks on people's faces and when you have a cute guy in the mix it is easier to interact with people. I live in West Texas where everyone has a dog. :Wink::Dizzy::Woo:

ktate88

Banned
Niles goes with me to work about one day a week. We goes on trips to the local pet store, PetSmart, my parents, some of the houses I stay at for petsitting, and to my Nana's for holidays.

He really enjoys car rides. Not sure he will still like them once I get him a sleepypod or make him stay in a crate. Safety is important though!

I got a bike for Christmas, and had bought a basket beforehand. Now we will go on bike rides together soon :D

pooner

Banned
Niles goes with me to work about one day a week. We goes on trips to the local pet store, PetSmart, my parents, some of the houses I stay at for petsitting, and to my Nana's for holidays.

He really enjoys car rides. Not sure he will still like them once I get him a sleepypod or make him stay in a crate. Safety is important though!

I got a bike for Christmas, and had bought a basket beforehand. Now we will go on bike rides together soon :D

Pooner is so upset with me about the car safety rules I just started to enforce. I like you let him go free in the car but after that thread pointing out the dangers I've laid down the pet carrier law. Good luck getting Niles to accept the new car rules :Smile:
It was so hard on me to listen to Pooner cry :Cry::Cry: when all he wanted was to sit on my lap like he is use to.

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
If I go anywhere outside of the ordinary the cats go with me.
Friends sometimes, family always, petstore most of the times (one of them, I alternate).

In fact we are on a trip right now. Total 800 miles and 4 different stops in 3½ days, all but one place with other pets. On top of that I borrow or make friends bring their pets to me as much as possible, had a Birma a few days last week at my place.

I don't wanna leave them behind and that's the main reason they go with but I also want them to be used to all kinds of people and different pets. My experience is that cats become much more social if they are used to that. Both mine are fine with dogs, other cats and all kinds of people.

Gonna post a thread about this trip with pictures as usual when we get home :Smile:

In the car I am the irresponsible one I guess. In the cities I keep them in the carrier but on open road they move around as they please, only driver side floor is off limits since I don't wanna break a neck if I have to break.

ktate88

Banned
Pooner is so upset with me about the car safety rules I just started to enforce. I like you let him go free in the car but after that thread pointing out the dangers I've laid down the pet carrier law. Good luck getting Niles to accept the new car rules :Smile:
It was so hard on me to listen to Pooner cry :Cry::Cry: when all he wanted was to sit on my lap like he is use to.

I haven't started car safety yet, but I know he will be upset. I'll have to post the picture of him curled up in the nook of my arm when driving home Sunday... sweet boy :Adore:

emmysmom10

Lairian
We have had Emerald for 2.5 years and she comes on all kinds of trips with us! We took her up north with us and as long as she is out of her kennel and sitting on my lap in a blanket:Smile:
Keemo on the other hand, he howls in the car! Whether he is in or out of the kennel, he thinks he is going to the vet. Any tips on easy ways to get him used to the car?
We would like to be able to take him with us up north or anywhere for that matter, but I can't handle him crying and howling the 3 hour car ride.

Back