Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

ear ache gone worse..

Reina

Lairian
Hi all..I could use a little sphynx love and support. My 8 month old boy developed an ear infection, so we took him to the vet as soon as possible. (Yesterday)

He has been a ball of issues since we first brought him home and learned that he has FHV, but lately he hasn't had a break out in months, so, we thought that finally everything was going good!

We first noticed something was off last week because we cleaned his ear twice in a short span of days..We made an appointment on friday but couldn't get in til Thursday (Sept 11) and then Sunday he started tilting his head and his balance was off..so I called monday and luckily got him in that day.

The doctor took a couple swabs for testing and tried to clean as much as he could, to get a better look. He wasn't able to see his ear drum like he could with his right ear. He then explained that it could be one of two things.. a simple ear infection or there could be polyps on his ear drum which would require surgery.

We crossed our fingers for the lesser of two evils, and the doctor confirmed that he found traces of yeast and other bacteria and gave us some medicine but warned that if he starts having a bad reaction we need to stop the medicine and call him immediately. The first dose went fine and this morning we gave him his second and he took it like normal.

When my boyfriend arrived home, he saw that Odis was acting funny suddenly. His eyes were shaking back and forth, as well as his head. He couldn't even stand up. He sent me a video and I received it while I was at work… I started balling. I have never seen him in such shape and I called the vet right away. He was in surgery and called us as soon as he got out. The Vet explained that his ear drum could have burst or there might be polyps. So we have to take him Thursday morning to get his ears cleaned and to get to the bottom of this.

Odis is still wobbly and sleeping a lot, luckily he is still eating and using the bathroom but he looks pretty miserable and I can't stand seeing him like this..

I would appreciate any prayers or sphinx love sent our way, it's been a pretty exhausting day for all of us and I am really hoping he is fine and he doesn't have any polyps. Cross your fingers for us!

Reina

Lairian
Thanks everyone! He goes to the vet tomorrow morning, will keep you updated!!

Last night was tiring, we.kept having to wake up be cause his ears had some drainage that kept bugging him so I had to keep cleaning it out. Nonetheless, we are exhausted today.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Awh .. Poor baby Odis! Prayers and headings hugs to your baby!
Hope to hear positive news from your vet appointment and that it is not serious

(Fwiw - my adoptee did head some head shaking I used Zymox plus on a cosmetic round and qtips for a few days ( you do not use with any other product simultaneously ) I wiped his ears for 5 days and all healed up fine-
Ask your vet about Zymox - mine did not hear of it - I only knew of it with great success using it on dogs ears in the past when they did head shaking - I was cleaning ears weekly to no avail and the Zymox plus worked wonders for both dogs and cats)

We are back to regular maintenance ear cleaning - few times a week with Trizultra Plus Keto now.. That is non stinging and cars don't mind it- ears are much better now

Keep us posted on your Odis baby - healing ((hugs ))

Reina

Lairian
Hi guys! I just wanted to give an update on Odis. He had his surgery and he did indeed have a polyp that went through his ear drum. He got it removed and is on the mend.

His skin is kind of dry though coming back from the vet. I am not sure if they wiped him with something but around the ears and on the side of his face looks like peeling skin and even by his paws. Any idea of anything i can put on him to help? I don't want to scrub at it to irritate the skin but its kind of weird…

Maybe I should just try to put some coconut oil on him? appreciate any suggestions!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
So happy he is on the mend. Please continue to update us on how he is doing. So many members can benefit in the future from knowing what to expect should they have the same issue. I agree coconut oil might help moisturize. Happy healing Odis!!

Patti

Back