Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

brennabeetle

Lairian
Hi there!

I’ve been a huge fan of this forum for a while now but until recently just lurked in the shadows.

I’ll be getting my first Sphynx kitten in October and I am soooo excited!
(I’ve attached a photo of her I got from the breeder when she was around a week old)

I’ll be picking her up from the airport and want to make sure she is as comfortable and cozy as possible.

Does anyone have any tips or advice they could give me for that?

I’ve been reading through all the forums and info I can find on here but I haven’t found anything that touches on picking your kitten up from the airport. Or best practices for transporting them home.

Any advice would be amazing!!
Thanks so much!

Attachments

• 67008673-D3EA-49AA-9714-218C8F4713EC.jpeg
    67008673-D3EA-49AA-9714-218C8F4713EC.jpeg
    98.5 KB · Views: 23

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair. What a cutie your girl is. Such an exciting time ahead.
Do you have to travel far from the airport to your home?
It would be great if you can find someone who drives so you can pet and cuddle your girl on the way home. I would bring a soft blanket to wrap her in. If it's a long drive best is to bring a litterbox.
Also bring some babywipes in case she has an accident and you want to clean her a bit.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Congratulations! How exciting. Glad you have been looking around in the community. Not sure if you scanned through this area of the community or not yet Sphynx Cat Help Center

I’d bring a litter box for them to,try to use in the car and bring some paper towels and cleaner should there be any accidents in their crate along the ride….is a courier bringing them. I would never ship any animal in the cargo area.

Do you have name ideas yet?

brennabeetle

Lairian
Welcome! What a cutie! Congrats! :)
Congratulations! How exciting. Glad you have been looking around in the community. Not sure if you scanned through this area of the community or not yet Sphynx Cat Help Center

I’d bring a litter box for them to,try to use in the car and bring some paper towels and cleaner should there be any accidents in their crate along the ride….is a courier bringing them. I would never ship any animal in the cargo area.

Thanks so much! I’ll check through the help centre more thoroughly to see if there are any threads about it.

That’s a great idea about bring a litter box, etc.
I believe it is a courier bringing her so no worries there.

For a name, I was thinking Momo but I kind of want to meet her first to see if it’s a good fit.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@brennabeetle , so excited for you! a name will stick when she is in your arms/home. I personally never transport kitties loose in car, even holding them. Personally, I always believe it's my job to keep them safe. No chance of darting off lap, getting stuck by gas/brake pedals or escape chance when stopping for gas etc. for me, I know there is plenty of time to cuddle when we are home safe and sound.

it is a new experience for them, so I tend to err on side of caution. I would confirm if courier transporting? I paid extra getting a kitty "gold streaked" alaskan airlines years ago. turns out to my dismay he was put in cargo! I had to drive to cargo area away from main terminal to pick him up.

I took a small hard plastic crate with me with a blanket inside. I took a disposable litterbox from the grocery store just in case I got stuck in traffic. I put him in his crate with a rabbit water bottle attached to the inside crate. ( I checked for leaks before using). some bottled water, small dish for water if needed and papertowels, cleaner (I use krudcutter , non toxic). non of the kitties I ever picked up used the litter box or water but had it on hand. they always slept the entire way home.

I crated him for the ride home. Covering 3 sides with a towel. makes a comfy cave. he slept all the way on the way home. when I got home, I had a kitty safe room set up (spare bathroom or bedroom ). I also asked breeder what food and litter he was used to and had that ready in his room.
be sure to kitty proof everything for life.. I am sure you have seen many threads that they are into everything! and everything in their mouths! I also have to put kitty up in room if I use the stove top.. too many near burns. I double check washer dryers , dishwasher before turning . they are lighting fast and always underfoot. I trained mine to a meet n greet spot.

I do set up a wellness check vet appointment ahead of time and bring a stool sample. some contracts have a time for wellness/vet check. so be sure to read your contract.

surely the breeder can offer tips and more details about the pickup/courier. we are excited to meet your baby and the name that sticks!

keep us updated often.... adorable baby!

Back