Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Food question (Royal Canin)

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So when I first brought Pixie home, she'd been on Tesco's own brand dry food for a couple of days.
We had chemical warfare in the bathroom and frequent poison gas attacks while schmoozing. :yuck:
It was eye watering. I invested in a few bottles of Febreeze...
I was feeding Royal Canin Indoor, while I waited for the Royal Canin Sphynx to arrive.
The chemical warfare in the bathroom stopped and the gas attacks were less...pungent. (And less frequent. )
So when the food eventually arrived, we switched to Royal Canin Sphynx and the gas attacks were no more. (y)
However... I don't know whether it's because she really liked the taste of the Indoor, and isn't as fond of the Sphynx food, or whether it's because the other cat at Sarah's house kept her from the food bowl, or if it's because the Sphynx food is richer/more filling...
She used to pack away two bowls of the Indoor a day. (And put on weight) Now she's on the Sphynx formula, and barely eats one bowl.
The indoor formula was greeted with extreme enthusiasm--the Sphynx one...not so much.
I keep her bowl filled and she does eat, it just seems a lot less than on the other food. Not as much poop either, but it's non stinky now. :)

I'm thinking of mixing the indoor with the sphynx, maybe it's the taste?

Any suggestions / pointers?

(The Royal Canin Sphynx is expensive, but omg...what an improvement in the schtink department!)

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Royal Canin, is a great food. You need to feed wet food ( Royal Canin )
As well. They need the extra water for their kidneys.
They are known to have kidney issues, and failures. Make sure she
drinks plenty water also. Her poo might be a little worse smell
with the can food. Feed her wet/ canned 2-3 Times a day.
I would slowly switch her back to the indoor. Since she likes it
so well. But, don't keep switching around, her stomach will
get upset and it's not good. If she hasn't been on the new berry long
just switching back.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Happy to hear the gass explossions stopped:)!

If she still eats one bowl a day she doens't eat too little. Depeing of the size of the bowl of course:). Does she eat as much as stands on the bag?
Maybe she loved the other food better and she ate more of it then she needs?
If she eats the RC sphynx as much as what the bag is saying she needs, I would stick with the RC sphynx.

As @Hairless Blessing says it's best to feed her some wet food also. Although opions about this vary (my vet says wet food is not necessary, it's only to spoil them) but still I think it's better to give some wet food every day.

Annika Laybourn

Lairian
I noticed the stink arriving at the same time as the Royal Canin wet food -we had a week after he arrived where he only got dry food. But you can't have just dry food in the long run, so thats why Im seriously considering to go raw on my boy.

So please let us know if theres a stink when you add the wet food :)

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've actually just let her have some tuna with rice (which she totally loved) rather than buy wet food which has all sorts of stuff in there.
Trying to keep it simple -- and stink free lol.
She's eating roughly as much as the bag says. Sometimes less, sometimes more. As I said, I tend to refill the bowl when she's done, so she can eat when she wants, and not when I say so.
I did an Equine Nutrition Course (Royal Dick Vet College in Edinburgh) because my Paso gets fat on air, and was morbidly obese when he was on "field rest" due to a bum leg. I needed to understand how all this fits together, and how to keep him healthy, without starving him. They touched on the differences between species, but, regardless of species, an empty stomach triggers a "must eat" response in most creatures. While it's not harmful to the internals of a cat, it definitely is for a horse. (Which is why a lot of them end up with ulcers.)
However, the "omg there is no food" triggers a "must eat or I'll starve" response the moment there is food, and tends to cause overeating in most carnivores (including us), to stave off starvation (because there was no food when the creature was hungry).
The easiest way to stay slim is to eat when you are hungry, and to stop when you're not. (Provided you don't just eat chocolate, of course.)
So I don't like to let the "omg there is no food" happen, because yeah...they eat FAR more when they have to wait, rather than nibble throughout the day.
That's not to say there aren't pigs who will just eat all day lol.

P.S. I second the "slowly introduce..." method of changing foods. I tend to add a little every day and blend over time. You would not believe how the internal organs react to the slightest change--and how harmful it can be!

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
She only gets it once in a blue moon as a treat, and alongside her regular food, and mixed with rice. (She does like her rice lol)
Also, she only gets the springwater one, not the brine/sunflower oil one.
But good to know, I didn't know. :)
Maybe *I* should stop eating tuna as well!

Back