Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

I'm going to become a first time Sphynx cat mum!! [UK]

PaperPineapple

Lairian
Please forgive me if I post this in the wrong place.

I've been wanting a Sphynx for a while now and my Fiance surprised me by telling me he's going to get one for my 30th birthday!! I'm super excited but I'm also a little nervous as this is a completely new experience for me. I've owned cats in the past but I've never had a Sphynx and I've not dealt with purchasing from a proper breeder before and I want to do this the correct way.

I've been watching videos on bathing them for a long time and I've seen a couple of vlogs about what it's like to live with one but now i'm trying to get more research in I feel a little lost; like I've just been thrown into the deep end. Are there any tips for a first time owner? Are there any specific items that you wouldn't necessarily get for your average moggy? Are there any cruelty free shampoo brands that would be gentle enough to use at bathtime? Is there anything I need to do to prep my home for my new arrival?
I've joined a Facebook group that lists breeders who scan for HCM and I'll probably try to join more at a more reasonable time of the day, but other than that I haven't a clue how to go about purchasing from a breeder. Are there any specific sites that are recommended? Any questions I need to ask them before setting my heart on a kitten?
Also, I've noticed people talking about raw feeding? I've never done that before but if it's beneficial for them then I'm of course going to give it a go. However, I am a vegetarian, so I don't really feel comfortable actually handeling the raw food myself. I know it's pathetic but I'm just not okay with that personally. Are there any prepacked raw foods that I could order online without breaking the bank?

I'm sorry for all the questions, but as I've mentioned, I want to this the right way. So thank you for your time in reading this and I welcome any help/advice/information you'd be willing to share. TIA and I look forward to hopefully posting more in the future once my new little peach-pet is here.

(I am going to go to bed now and once I arise I shall read the posts on the 'Sphynx Information Center' and browse through other posts too.)

Helenecarter

Lairian
Hi! I’m Helen and I live in northamptonshire England ! I recently purchased a Donskoy! I just feed my little one kitten food wet and dry! You can get grain free wet food and dry food however I can’t say his a big fan of it and he only likes things that taste of fish!

Everyone on this site is so lovely and you’ll get responses to any questions you may have from all the experienced owners! - I’ve found that the knowledge of everybody has really helped me!

I would definitely go with an experienced breeder and spend the money though and make sure the kitten has had a health check. My little man has cloudy eyes which my vet said was FHV (feline herpes) although that’s a completely other thread! Haha

Good luck with your searches xx

Yoda mom

Staff member
@PaperPineapple welcome to the lair family ! Want a purrfect 30th Borthday prezzie ,!
Kudos to you for jumping in asking great questions! Lots of info here to prep for gotcha day!
We are here for your you !

Several members in your area may PM reputable breeder info :) and other info @Lickleone
@Helenecarter , @Cinafina @Staceyxxx,@dbzmastergal

So excited for you![/USER][/USER]
Stay active with us and keep us updated often

Last edited:

PaperPineapple

Lairian
Thank you all for such a wonderfully warm welcome! It's been an amazingly intense few days. I still feel completely out of my depth, and to some extent like I've been going around in circles; like I'm not really sure where to start. I've also been having great fun trying to compile a list of things I need to buy (my bank balance is screaming at me not to go crazy with all the things I've saved already), finding out more information on raw food diets, getting advise on the things to ask breeders and the things to look out for and of course the compulsary cuteness of watching sphynx videos. And although we have a couple of months yet (with no guarentee I'll be able to bring my new family member home on exactly my birthday), I've already started to tidy and declutter ready to make room for him and all his toys and furniture. I've even had a breeder contact me so I might possibly have a kitten waiting. I just want to get the funding together first before even starting to ask her questions about the health tests and the parents etc... so I've not made a deposit for him yet. But the fact that there's a teeny tiny chance he might be mine is so exciting. I still have lots to research in the meantime but I'm enjoying the whole process. I want to provide whoever it is we adopt, a loving and healthy home. I shall update on any changes.
Thank you all again :)

PaperPineapple

Lairian
Update: I've started getting stuff together; I have a few toys and a couple of really cute tops (both going to be far too big for him but he'll grow into them hopefully) and I have a huge watchlist of things I want to get.
I've also arranged my first ever viewing for tomorrow (Tues 15th), and I'm soo excited! It'll be my first time ever meeting a Sphynx and I can't wait to know what they feel like and to play with them. I'm now putting together a load of things to ask at the viewing. I don't want to get my hopes up too much but I soooo hope it all works out okay. I just hope that my excitment doesn't blind me from making the right decision.
Whatever the case; I cannot wait!!

PaperPineapple

Lairian
Update: The viewing went really well. The lady was lovely; she gave us lots of information, answered all our questions and made us feel very welcomed! She clearly loves her cats and they all looked happy and healthy. They had just been to the vet for the first lot of vaccinations so some of them were a little sleepy, but luckily for us the males we had gone to view were playful and mischievious! And we were able to see both parents too!
We've put our deposit down for a little seal point male and we'll be able to pick him up on the 5th! She's going to keep me updated with lots of pictures in the meantime. She's also keen to be kept updated once he's home and has said she welcomes any questions, even if it's 10 years down the line!!!
We're extremely happy with our experience and we can't wait to introduce him to everyone once he's settled into his new home!!

PaperPineapple

Lairian
@PaperPineapple congratulations with the desposit! Another step in being owned by a sphynx. Great to hear the visit went well and you enjoyed the kittens. Sounds like a good breeder. Any idea when gotcha day will be?
It was amazing! And you were right, experiencing what they feel like and being able to play with them was fantastic!!
We'll be picking him up on the 5th, all being well! He'll be all up to date with his vet checks and vaccines, so he'll be all ready to leave then.

PaperPineapple

Lairian
@PaperPineapple ooooh let the count down begin!
Do you already know which will become yours? Or do other people have the first choice? No matter what, your life will change in the best way possible when you're owned by a sphynx
We already know which one will be ours. She only had the 2 little boys left and they were both amazing little characters but the one we chose went purely on the fact that he came over to us first. I'd of happily take them all if I could :ROFLMAO: I shall share pics once I get my first update from the breeder :)

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We already know which one will be ours. She only had the 2 little boys left and they were both amazing little characters but the one we chose went purely on the fact that he came over to us first. I'd of happily take them all if I could :ROFLMAO: I shall share pics once I get my first update from the breeder :)

There is more then one member on this site that went in to see one baby and came out with multiples .. it's impossible not to fall in love with them!!

So very happy that everything is going so smoothly for you and that you have found what sounds like a wonderful breeder!

PaperPineapple

Lairian
So happy for you !!! Can’t wait to see pics and what name you decide on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
His name is Archibald. It was my Great Grandfather's middle name and I like that it fits 'cause Archie-is-bald!! :p

And thank you all for the lovely positive comments! I've been a bit of a lurker but everyone has been so kind. I'm so glad I've found such a welcoming community to share my excitement with :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@PaperPineapple , so excited for you and Archibald ! What an honorable name pic
Happy you decided to jump out from lurking and post with this fun friendly bunch !

We all come together for the love of nakids!

Looking forward to your journey with us with lots of pics and tales !
Can't what for the 5th gotcha pics!
You have an amazing breeder amd comfort it's either the comment about" 10 years" from now

Back