Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

L-Lysine Poll

Do you use L-Lysine?

• 1. Yes, I use L-Lysine for daily for maintenance.

Votes: 76 58.9%
  • 2. No, I have never used L-Lysine.

Votes: 22 17.1%
  • 3. I ONLY use L-Lysine when my sphynx shows symptoms of a cold.

Votes: 20 15.5%
  • 4. I tried L-Lysine but my sphynx did not like it.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • 5. Other - please tell.

Votes: 10 7.8%

• Total voters

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I feed dry and wet. I do mix it with the wet. l-lysine comes in other forms like a paste as well as L-Lysine treats. Maybe those might be easier for you since you feed dry.

Patti

Kitty0627

Lairian
I was just about to post about this. I have posted already about my alice having a upper resp infection. She can barely breath through her stuffy runny nose :( but i have meds from the vet. I wanted to start her on l lysine. I just wasnt sure of the dosage and a good brand. Im thinking powder sounds good to sprinkle over her food since she doesnt like treats. She is a little ober 5 months old right now.malso should i ask my bet first if its ok to mix with the meds she is taking now?

Kitty0627

Lairian
Wow thank you so much! I am def going to get that. Im working on going raw eventually and only wet food with her so this will be perfect. Also any techniques to get snot out if her nose.. She is so stopped up and i tried the baby nose syringe but it seemed to not take out very much...

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Kitty0627 , I use now brand like this one amazon-

Mixed in wet food..
They say 250 mg for maintenance / 500 mg if symptoms
Can confirm with your vet

* I mix with a little metal snow crab fork that works great emptying can to feed too

FYI all four of mine refused the expensive paste Enysl-F paste for $27 from the vet :)

For noses I gently use plain warm water on a baby face cloth a few times a day
If crusty nose ----my told me to put on the leather nose pad some plain unflavored Chapstick making sure not to block nostrils**
I found this too
http://www.ehow.com/how_5618730_clean-stuffy-cat-nose.html

Last edited:

Kiapi

Lairian
Hi All, my vet asked me to use it for my little one. He said i should use the gelversion, however it is impossible to find it here in China. Can you let me know where i can buy it from the US or UK that they would ship it to Shanghai?

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Kiapi , I bought the gel enysyl-f paste from my vet and only 1 of 4 Sphynx will eat it
It was expensive too

I one use the human powder 100% pure l-Lysine I get online

Not sure if they have something similar avail in your area
And very reasonably priced

I mix it every morning in their wet food and they don't notice
I am still trying to use up the gel version with only 1 cat that will remotely touch it

Here are the cat gel and powder brands I know of on line
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@mrlarrys Not sure. I compared the ingredients listed in it to the powdered form sold specifically for cats and they are very different. I also read some conflicting things on how licorice might not be good for cats and it contains licorice extract. When in doubt, ask your vet to be safe.

Patti

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@mrlarrys , will your kitty eat canned food with 100% pure l-Lysine powder mixed in?
Minw won't touch treats or the cat version enysyl-f paste form the vet

I mix 1/4 teaspoon of Now Brand 100% pure powder l-Lysine in canned food
It's sold on line for about $14 for a pound container
There are several good 100% pure powders used by lairians

I would agree with asking you vet about any product ingredients like the licorice extract.
I do like the idea of a liquid for picky cats - but would definitely get your vet's approval.

**I wonder if the 100% pure l-Lysine powder can be formulated to a liquid suspension like vets do with some medications? I would check with your vet

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

vengasejanis

Lairian
The vet said today that Lysine is only effective against herpes virus hmmmm I believe her but also going to do some more research. I read on other purebred cat forums that lots of breeders use, as well as owners of purebred cats. I think it seems to be believed it us one of those things that it certainly can't hurt them. A friend was told to take it from a naturopath regularly to prevent cold sores ( herpes virus) which I thought interesting ... I just wonder what everyone else thinks about it boosting immune function for non herpes related URI's in cats? Wonder if there is research supporting its usage...
I'm going to look into it more as well. I think my baby has asthma, so I'm wondering if this might help her? Let us know what you find! :)

sdc1110

Lairian
I use the now brand powder in the 1 lb tub. That is what my breeder suggested. Baby boy George has never had an URI or any symptoms so I give it to him a couple times a week as a preventative.

Snapcrcklpop

Lairian
I don't use it but I am thinking about it. My kitty seems to get congested if it is cold and has generally runny eyes (but he is such a champ about letting my clean his face :D) . I'm wondering if it would help with these symptoms.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I just answered your last post and happened to send you a link about L-Lysine. I definitely would say give it a try. We are using it as a maintenance here with our crew.

Patti

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I buy the powdered form on Amazon. Here is a link.

There are many different sized containers. We started with the smallest first just so we knew they would be ok with it. Now we buy the huge tub as it is a better value.

Patti

Snapcrcklpop

Lairian
Thank you! It seems like the 250 mg for maintenance is a pretty standard rule. Is that per day or...? Will I have to do a small dose since my guy is so itsy bitsy?

Annika Laybourn

Lairian
No L-Lysine here. Vet advised against it (!). In Denmark we are way more restrictive on meds and supplements, so didn't surprise that she advised not to give it. I have thought about buying some for if he gets a cold, but I haven't yet.

Back