Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

My Melodramatic Baby’s Nails

SJAussie

Lairian
Hello all! Long time lurker-first time poster. My beautiful eight month old elf spyhnx Ouija is such a lovely, spunky, snuggly bean. However; he treats me cleaning his nails like he is dying! I mean-tears in the eyes, vocalization, brutal. I am very gentle and have tried all kinds of different methods. I tried wipes initially but think those were have been too rough/unpleasant for him. Then I tried a specific vet sanctioned cleaner and qtips. Now I’m using cotton pads and coconut oil (which is definitely the most effective on grime removal) but his attitude toward it has not changed once. Even though I know I’m not hurting him it breaks my heart. He also struggles so hard away from it I get worried I’m going to hurt him by holding him in place. Anyone have tips on specifically nail cleaning for an extremely sensitive little spirit? I want him to get used to it at the very least as it’s such a necessary part of grooming. (He’s also so good with everything else it’s a shame!) Advice would be appreciated and thank you all fellow parents!

Attachments

• FB1D606F-4A57-49AA-8916-88632137922E.jpeg
    FB1D606F-4A57-49AA-8916-88632137922E.jpeg
    274.6 KB · Views: 29

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I feel your pain; unfortunately I can offer nothing but solidarity. Rankle hates nail cleaning too and acts as if I'm trying to murder him. It's so unpleasant that I put off doing it which isn't a good thing. I hope someone else can give some advice.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We have the same problem with Marcus. He doesn’t make a sound, but struggles silently, but hard. I can usually get his front feet okay, but Bob has to hold him so I can do the hind feet. Cleo is very vocal, but usually doesn’t struggle at all. She and I have a ritual where she cusses me out as I clip and clean all her nails, and when I am done, I kiss the top of her head. That’s the signal for her to shoot off my lap like a rocket. When all this trauma is done, they get special treats that are reserved for after baths and nails. That makes everything better until next time.
I must admit that I put off doing nails as long as possible because it is a pain for me, and they don’t like it either.

SJAussie

Lairian
We have the same problem with Marcus. He doesn’t make a sound, but struggles silently, but hard. I can usually get his front feet okay, but Bob has to hold him so I can do the hind feet. Cleo is very vocal, but usually doesn’t struggle at all. She and I have a ritual where she cusses me out as I clip and clean all her nails, and when I am done, I kiss the top of her head. That’s the signal for her to shoot off my lap like a rocket. When all this trauma is done, they get special treats that are reserved for after baths and nails. That makes everything better until next time.
I must admit that I put off doing nails as long as possible because it is a pain for me, and they don’t like it either.
It’s the same with Weej! While he doesn’t love the front paw cleaning it’s the back that’s the real issue! I’m so glad it’s not just him (although not glad for any cleaning struggles we all have!)
I like the idea of having specific post-cleaning treats though, I will have to try that. When he was still very wee I got him used to baths like that.

nelsonsmama

Lairian
Hi! I’m a new sphynx (bambino!) mom so I don’t have a ton of experience but I have been swaddling my boy to do it. Maybe not all sphynx like this but Nelson LOVES being swaddled up in a blanket like a burrito. So when I want to do just about anything (ears, eyes, nails) I will do that and lay him down on my legs, pet his face until he dozes off, then slowly get to it. He sleeps right through it! when I want to do his feet I wrap him up and leave his feet out so that once he gets calm I can easily get to them, and then when I want to do his front nails I just grab his paw and pet it for a little and slowly work into it. When he is swaddled it just puts pressure on his entire body and calms him down a lot. I will attach a pic below, I don’t have one of me doing his nails but I have one of him just laying there which is the position I put him in to do it. Hope this helps! Mine is still a kitten so he’s more cuddly than some at the moment.

Attachments

• 1EFF898B-0640-4813-826D-D168EF69FA42.png
    1EFF898B-0640-4813-826D-D168EF69FA42.png
    241.6 KB · Views: 24

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It’s the same with Weej! While he doesn’t love the front paw cleaning it’s the back that’s the real issue! I’m so glad it’s not just him (although not glad for any cleaning struggles we all have!)
I like the idea of having specific post-cleaning treats though, I will have to try that. When he was still very wee I got him used to baths like that.
The current favorite special treats in our house are Hartz Squeeze-Up Lickable Cat Treats. Cleo and Marcus split one after I do nails and ears and then split one again after baths. They are funny, because one will start eating the treat, and then I will move it over for the other one. As long as I move it between them every few licks, they do pretty well with sharing it. These are treats that my allergic Cleo can tolerate, and they don’t get them too often, so I don’t worry about how good they are for them. The treats also helped immensely when we had to give Cleo antibiotics. Bob hid the medicine in a bowl mixed with half a treat package, and Cleo ate it right up, while I distracted Marcus with the rest of the treat.

67CFA773-3EE0-414E-A6A6-131E208D680B.png

SJAussie

Lairian
Hi! I’m a new sphynx (bambino!) mom so I don’t have a ton of experience but I have been swaddling my boy to do it. Maybe not all sphynx like this but Nelson LOVES being swaddled up in a blanket like a burrito. So when I want to do just about anything (ears, eyes, nails) I will do that and lay him down on my legs, pet his face until he dozes off, then slowly get to it. He sleeps right through it! when I want to do his feet I wrap him up and leave his feet out so that once he gets calm I can easily get to them, and then when I want to do his front nails I just grab his paw and pet it for a little and slowly work into it. When he is swaddled it just puts pressure on his entire body and calms him down a lot. I will attach a pic below, I don’t have one of me doing his nails but I have one of him just laying there which is the position I put him in to do it. Hope this helps! Mine is still a kitten so he’s more cuddly than some at the moment.
Aww this is the cutest! Unfortunately Ouija does not take kindly to being swaddled unless there’s a thunderstorm

Back