Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hey y’all! I need some advice about Kenzo’s nails. We trim & file them 1-2 times a week, and clean them once every week using a baby wipe and some q-tips, damp with Witch Hazel. He’s normally pretty patient during the process. If he lets out a ‘yeoww,’ once or twice, it’s usually due to some irritating gunk in his nail bed.

Problem is... the last time I did his nails, he was a VERY resistant and vocal when I did the hind paws. He even tried to nip at my hands, which is very out of character for him! The only noticeable thing that stood out to me was how brittle the back nails seemed to be. They also seemed to be much thicker than the front nails. Almost as if they are wider but hollow, if that makes any sense. Nearly every one splintered off at the sides when I cut them.
I double-checked to make sure the quicks weren’t damaged, and also looked thoroughly for any sores. Other than texture, everything else appears normal. His skin doesn’t look inflamed at all. His hind nailbeds are always significantly dirtier than the front, but I assume that’s normal?

Has anyone experienced this problem with their sphynx or other cats? It’s obviously irritating Kenzo. Please let me know what you recommend! Gracias!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Here is an older fact about nails. Fun Friday Cat Fact of the Day 7-13-18

The back ones are usually more brittle because they can’t scratch on surfaces like cat trees etc to help shed the nails. Many of us have shared ours even bite their back nails lol.

Glad everything seems to look ok. Maybe try cleaning the gunk after bathing. I find it comes off faster and easier after they have been in the tub. Not sure how old your nail trimmer is, but they do get dull after some time. When they get dull it can bother them because you are pinching the nail to cut it and it can bother them.

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It could just be Kenzo entering “teenager” stage! Yoda used to be sooo good with letting me clean and trim his nails. I’d usually attack the process while he was sound asleep, less energy to wrestle me. Now that he’s older, totally different. Everytime I grab him to trim his nails. He actually huffs and puffs, and has even begun to growl and hiss while I’m trying to trim(he’s never bitten me). I call it his sassy teenager stage. @Yoda mom I believe had similar experience with her Toby love and the huffs and puffs. Sorry Yoda, you aren’t a lykoi. You can huff and puff and you won’t blow the house down .

Hoping Kenzo will be back to his laid back self for spa day.

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Catzzzmeow Thanks for the link! His nail clippers definitely leave something to be desired. I got the ‘budget brand’ from the grocery. Maybe I should invest in a nicer pair now? Do you have any recommendations?

@Bailey21 He is def a teenager and he has his own opinions now lol. o_O

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Monica , literally just got done trimming nails and cleaning nail beds -
Toby love will always huff n puff and growls -
Decent clippers a plus Patti shared great advice about them wearing out - lol we have quad squads so go they them fast

I prefer the nail trimmers rubber handled ones - some come with a finger rest extension.
My bengals is easier to cut with a quality human nail clipper .

Defintely inspect nails - I put on reading glasses for a close look at the skin folds surrounding the nail bed -
Gunks can abuild up in the skin fold by the nail bed usually on the sides -
It can be gently pushed out while cleaning the nails bed area . I use the non scented alcohol free makeup remover wipes .
I was shocked when I was doing nails om my adoptee and saw a little darker area - so I gently pushed while cleaning slowly with the wipe . a big junk of gunk came out ..ewww
Now I got in a habit of a really lookimg closely at the skin around the nail for any gunk in a skin pocket .

*** I have learned to not put my arm under chins to cut nails -
To help prevent the grab nip.

I position them on my lap head is down ,my arm across the baxk of the neck , then lift front paws with my other hand to trim.

For the back felt I do the same - kitty on lap , my arm across the their back - lift paw with other hand and clip.
Sometimes I break it up in two sessions fronts AM and backs PM

Definitely watch body language -
Some prefer to burrito in a towel and take one foot out at a time to trim nails

Mine complain and carry on - it would scare my mom
My Toby love is 5 and still complains huffs n puffs
Then is Sooo loving after lol
Batman is very vocal too but no huffing and puffing - complains and grabs towards my hand
So I learned quickly to not have my arm forearm anywhere near teeth

Example pic in this link (it does show the other option of different type of nail trimmer)
https://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/outreach...ies/procedures/cats/clipping-your-cat's-claws

Last edited:
Back