Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New Sphynx Owner, my baby has URI, please, please help.

Ziggymoon

Lairian
Here's the story. I've wanted a sphynx for YEARS. My husband agreed that we could have one for our anniversary, so we saved up and searched out the perfect kitten and the perfect breeder. We picked her up last Saturday.

I picked her up and she had a bit of a stuffy nose, but the breeder had gotten the "ok" for her to come home with me as long as I continued her antibiotics. Her vet said it was a simple kitty cold. So she gave me her vet records and her medication.

We got home and she was just as lovely and playful as any kitten would be and I have been head over heels since.

I continued her antibiotics and it seemed she was improving until this past Wednesday. She got the stuffy nose back and just acted lethargic. I took her straight to the vet, vet records and medication in hand. They told me the antibiotics I had been giving her were no good since the previous vet had hidden the "keep refrigerated" text with a sticker, so we just had it out on the counter because none of the other antibiotics that I've ever given my animals have ever needed refrigerating.

They checked her lungs, ears, eyes, and said it was all still only upper respiratory. They gave her an antibiotic shot and some oral clindimycin(spelling?) to take home. The vet said she should be much better by Monday (tomorrow) and if she wasn't to bring her back.

I've given the oral antibiotics as directed by the vet and she has less of a stuffy nose (I think?) but is still not playing and is only sleeping. Her breathing is noisy, she's still sneezing snot rockets, she's congested, and her eyes are watering and one is puffy. She is still eating and drinking and using her litter box, as well as purring when we pet her, but besides those things she sleeps all day.

We bought her a humidifier for her room in hopes that would help the congestion, but it hasn't seemed to do much. Even though she has had all of her vaccinations, I went ahead and ordered some l-lysine powder for cats.

It's Labor Day tomorrow and I know the vet is closed, and we haven't finished the whole bottle of antibiotics yet.

Guys I don't know what to do. Should I finish the antibiotics first before I go back to the vet? I'm afraid the vet will switch the antibiotics, and she's already been on 3 so far. She's just pitiful sleeping all day. I've barely got to enjoy her yet. It's breaking my heart.

I've cried myself to sleep almost every night since we've taken her back to the vet because I feel so helpless.

Is there anything you guys could recommend? Has anyone else had similar experiences? Does anyone have any good suggestions for antibiotics or medication to get her well quickly? Am I overreacting?

Thank you all very much, and please send positive thoughts our way. I'm about to pull my hair out.

Thanks again.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Here's the story. I've wanted a sphynx for YEARS. My husband agreed that we could have one for our anniversary, so we saved up and searched out the perfect kitten and the perfect breeder. We picked her up last Saturday.

I picked her up and she had a bit of a stuffy nose, but the breeder had gotten the "ok" for her to come home with me as long as I continued her antibiotics. Her vet said it was a simple kitty cold. So she gave me her vet records and her medication.

We got home and she was just as lovely and playful as any kitten would be and I have been head over heels since.

I continued her antibiotics and it seemed she was improving until this past Wednesday. She got the stuffy nose back and just acted lethargic. I took her straight to the vet, vet records and medication in hand. They told me the antibiotics I had been giving her were no good since the previous vet had hidden the "keep refrigerated" text with a sticker, so we just had it out on the counter because none of the other antibiotics that I've ever given my animals have ever needed refrigerating.

They checked her lungs, ears, eyes, and said it was all still only upper respiratory. They gave her an antibiotic shot and some oral clindimycin(spelling?) to take home. The vet said she should be much better by Monday (tomorrow) and if she wasn't to bring her back.

I've given the oral antibiotics as directed by the vet and she has less of a stuffy nose (I think?) but is still not playing and is only sleeping. Her breathing is noisy, she's still sneezing snot rockets, she's congested, and her eyes are watering and one is puffy. She is still eating and drinking and using her litter box, as well as purring when we pet her, but besides those things she sleeps all day.

We bought her a humidifier for her room in hopes that would help the congestion, but it hasn't seemed to do much. Even though she has had all of her vaccinations, I went ahead and ordered some l-lysine powder for cats.

It's Labor Day tomorrow and I know the vet is closed, and we haven't finished the whole bottle of antibiotics yet.

Guys I don't know what to do. Should I finish the antibiotics first before I go back to the vet? I'm afraid the vet will switch the antibiotics, and she's already been on 3 so far. She's just pitiful sleeping all day. I've barely got to enjoy her yet. It's breaking my heart.

I've cried myself to sleep almost every night since we've taken her back to the vet because I feel so helpless.

Is there anything you guys could recommend? Has anyone else had similar experiences? Does anyone have any good suggestions for antibiotics or medication to get her well quickly? Am I overreacting?

Thank you all very much, and please send positive thoughts our way. I'm about to pull my hair out.

Thanks again.
Hello and welcome @Ziggymoon! Sorry to hear of this issue. How young is your new sphynx? Also, I would surely finish any medications given by the vet. Here is some good info on Lysine and how much most use to treat the sniffles - L-Lysine for Sphynx Cats. As far as antibiotics, Orbax seems to help and many use Doxycline for more severe cases/remedies as it covers a wider spectrum.

Ziggymoon

Lairian
Thank you for your reply! She is 13 weeks old and such a beautiful little lady. It just hurts me to know that she's sick. Thank you for your information. I will finish the antibiotics first before going back to the vet and start the Lysine when it comes in to see if that helps as well. If things are not better I will ask my vet about the two antibiotics that you mentioned here.

Again I thank you very much. I've about driven myself mad.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you.
admin, gave you good advice. Please keep us posted about your
baby. I will pray for your baby.

moonglow225

Lairian
So sorry to hear about your new kitty. My little Dani had a similar story. About 3 days after bringing her home she developed an upper respiratory infection and had so much trouble breathing. I was so afraid she wouldn't make it through the night. I finally decided to take her to the vet emergency hospital. Turns out, she has feline herpes :( The week after bringing her home her medical/vet bills were almost what I paid to the breeder! And, like you, I developed a "croup tent" by putting her in her crate and draping a towel over it and allowing the vaporizer to steam under the towel. Her respiratory episodes tapered off after a few weeks--but it was unsettling when she struggled so just to breathe. And like your little kitty, she launches 'snot rockets'. I don't think that will ever change--but I love her just the same.
I put her on Lysine gel. She loves it!

I think the stress of leaving her mom and siblings brought on the severe attack. Once she settled in, she improved. Thank goodness we haven't gone through that type of episode again, but she is always sniffling--especially each morning.

Hope your little girl improves quickly.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Admin gave 2 good antibiotic choices. Doxycyline worked wonders for us when 3 of ours kept sharing colds. I would see if you can get into vet on Tuesday and discuss how the antibiotic is not working. Some antibiotics just don't seem to be effective in the breed. Keep us updated, relief is right around the corner.

Patti

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Hello @Ziggymoon and welcome to sphynxlair for you and your little girl. Sorry your first weeks with her started with so much worry. Great advice is already given. I only jumped in to welcome you and to say your little girl is so lucky to have a mommy like you!

All fingers crossed she will feel better soon. If she feels better, or if you feel like, we would love to see some pics of her:)

Ziggymoon

Lairian
Thank you everyone! Today she woke up a little stuffy but played nonstop for hours this morning, which was SUCH a relief. She has been sleeping the past few hours but it does seem that she is feeling better than she has been today. I'm going to see if the pattern continues, and if she still acts like she is continuing to get better then I will continue on with these antibiotics, if not then we will go back to the vet for one of the two recommended antibiotics mentioned by the admin.

I have added a picture of her. Isn't she beautiful? Her orange, black, and white markings are marbled all the way down her back. I just love this little girl.

Thanks again everyone!

Attachments

• 11902584_10152996285526646_7330240098821834892_n.jpg
    11902584_10152996285526646_7330240098821834892_n.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 116

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Ziggymoon , welcome to you and your precious gorgeous girl! What is her name?
Sending feel better vibes- great advice given about the antibiotics-
I waited for 15 yrs for my first naked! And it is not uncommon that they develop a URI- many of us have gone thru it- (the Refrigerated Clavamox did nothing for my first nakeds URI-
Good advice given by admin.)

it does get better- hang in there, take one healing day at a time-
Let us know which kitty l-lysine you ordered and how she likes it -
We are always up for l-lysine option ideas :)

Keep us posted on the vet follow up-
Looking forward to more pics and your journey with us!
Head smooches to your girl! She is precious!

Ziggymoon

Lairian
Thank you! She's everything I have wanted. She's smart and gets along great with my two house dogs. They already adore her as well. The breeder had named her Lady Brienne (a character from the popular Game of Thrones series) and my husband and I decided to keep the name. It sounds Royal and Majestic, which she is definitely both of those things.

UPDATE: She woke up this morning ready to play, again, still a bit stuffy and eye a bit watery, but she took her antibiotics without a fight this morning and played in the bathroom while I was getting ready for work. She seems to be feeling much better. We will forego the vet visit for now and finish this round of antibiotics and see where we stand.

I appreciate all the positive vibes/prayers/love/ and advice!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Thank you everyone! Today she woke up a little stuffy but played nonstop for hours this morning, which was SUCH a relief. She has been sleeping the past few hours but it does seem that she is feeling better than she has been today. I'm going to see if the pattern continues, and if she still acts like she is continuing to get better then I will continue on with these antibiotics, if not then we will go back to the vet for one of the two recommended antibiotics mentioned by the admin.

I have added a picture of her. Isn't she beautiful? Her orange, black, and white markings are marbled all the way down her back. I just love this little girl.

Thanks again everyone!

Absolutly a stunning beauty! Happy to her she is feeling better.

moonglow225

Lairian
Thank you! She's everything I have wanted. She's smart and gets along great with my two house dogs. They already adore her as well. The breeder had named her Lady Brienne (a character from the popular Game of Thrones series) and my husband and I decided to keep the name. It sounds Royal and Majestic, which she is definitely both of those things.

UPDATE: She woke up this morning ready to play, again, still a bit stuffy and eye a bit watery, but she took her antibiotics without a fight this morning and played in the bathroom while I was getting ready for work. She seems to be feeling much better. We will forego the vet visit for now and finish this round of antibiotics and see where we stand.

I appreciate all the positive vibes/prayers/love/ and advice!

Oh, I completely understand the Game of Thrones.! Lady Brienne is one of my favorite characters. I'm sure your little Lady Brienne will be strong and courageous, like her namesake, and fight to get better. My little girl's name is Daenerys--Dani for short.

rackelor

Lairian

Thanks again.
Hi, we have the same case over here. Stuffy nose, sneezing. We got her 2 weeks ago and since day one she has these problems. She brings out most of her mucus whenever she sneeze. We wipe her nose and clean it as much a possible.

We have 3 Sphynix, one of them is 10 months old. We had her 2 months already. At first, she sneeze every morning and evening, it’s because in the morning when the dust comes up and sunset when the dust comes down.

They all need adjustments in their new environment, we were advised by the breeder to quarantine our 3rd kitten so she can get use to the type of germs we have in the house. We don’t let her get out of my son’s room for a long time, maybe 3 mins is long enough. We slowly introduce her to the other kittens in the house. She adapted the changes gradually.

Cats are nocturnal, they sleep all day and active at night. Don’t worry when she sleeps in the morning because she needs her rest. They get stress out very easy and get sick, stay calm and let her adjust with her new environment.

Back