Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

OMG I think her tail is broken!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@GoldHazel what is the reasoning behind snipping a kinked tail..aesthetics? That would concern me if my vet said to do that. Having a kinked tail is in no danger to them, but another surgery and another area to keep clean etc brings on bigger threats I would think.

Patti

It's only if there was a problem with it such as it hurt the cat or basically if it disturbs the pet owner. Other than that, it would most probably cause arthritis later on in years just like any old injury a human gets will become their "weather station" and cause pain with changes in the weather. If a pet is very young at the time of that type of surgery, they usually do very well and heal quickly.
A vet wouldn't do it on his/her own, they would ask first. Bottom line is that it's up to the pet owner.

Tiffany_Kay

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Well today I guess is our lucky day because Izzy does not have a broken tail! The X-rays however show that it is dislocated and some ligaments are torn. We can't wrap it or put it in a cast or anything she just has to let it heal naturally, and I have too keep a close eye on her and keep her in a confined area for a while to let her heal. No amputation for Izzy required!!! A huge weight has been lifted off my chest. Thanks everyone for the prayers!
I really do like this new vet too! Izzy is his first sphynx which would make me a little nervous but when I told him some info I know about sphynx health he went to his computer to do more reading and came back to confirm the info and that he will read more about the information which is really cool because he wants to learn about my cats. He seems very interested in my cats and making sure that their health is at its best! Also brought Wasabi with us and the staff just fell in love with him. And the vet tec fell in love with Izzy while she provided him with a tongue bath... she licked him for a solid 15 minuets. I'm feeling much better now. Just have to give Izzy her pain meds.
image.jpg

GizmosMommy

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Well today I guess is our lucky day because Izzy does not have a broken tail! The X-rays however show that it is dislocated and some ligaments are torn. We can't wrap it or put it in a cast or anything she just has to let it heal naturally, and I have too keep a close eye on her and keep her in a confined area for a while to let her heal. No amputation for Izzy required!!! A huge weight has been lifted off my chest. Thanks everyone for the prayers!
I really do like this new vet too! Izzy is his first sphynx which would make me a little nervous but when I told him some info I know about sphynx health he went to his computer to do more reading and came back to confirm the info and that he will read more about the information which is really cool because he wants to learn about my cats. He seems very interested in my cats and making sure that their health is at its best! Also brought Wasabi with us and the staff just fell in love with him. And the vet tec fell in love with Izzy while she provided him with a tongue bath... she licked him for a solid 15 minuets. I'm feeling much better now. Just have to give Izzy her pain meds. View attachment 20025
Great news!!!! :)

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
If it is a hurt cat I get it, but a disturbed owner is pushing it. It is more about aesthetics. Many babies are born with kinked tails and they are absolutely adorable and unique. I celebrate their uniqueness.

Patti

There are people with one opinion and there are people with the other opinion. I have a furry cat that injured his tail as a kitten. His tail lays on top of his back and is curled like a pug's tail, but this cat has a huge, long tail. We discussed it with our vet and decided to leave it alone as it was cute the way it curled. The vet did say that it would most probably bother him when he got older, but we opted to not have surgery done basically because if he had tail pain, it wouldn't be like it was a leg and cause him to have trouble walking. We love his tail.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
You have the best case scenario! Our original vet was so intrigued with the breed they too read up and wanted to do their best. Those who do not view a patient as the "same old same old" are going to want to be above status quo. That is great news! Whether the tails turns out broken or dislocated, it sounds like you have a vet that wants to be the go to person and that is priceless! Happy healing!

Patti

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I really do like this new vet too! Izzy is his first sphynx which would make me a little nervous but when I told him some info I know about sphynx health he went to his computer to do more reading and came back to confirm the info and that he will read more about the information which is really cool because he wants to learn about my cats. He seems very interested in my cats and making sure that their health is at its best! Also brought Wasabi with us and the staff just fell in love with him. And the vet tec fell in love with Izzy while she provided him with a tongue bath... she licked him for a solid 15 minuets. I'm feeling much better now. Just have to give Izzy her pain meds. View attachment 20025

WHEW! That is great news, Tiffany. I'm so happy to hear this. Also, this new vet sounds promising. :)

WithLVoe

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Poor baby, I hope she is feeling better please update us!

When my little phoebe was younger, I was cleaning my room and i made a pile of shoe boxes and other boxes just slightly behind the closet door. she was sittings on them. i guess she lost her footing, the boxes fell, which then closed the closet door on her tail (in between the wall and where it is attached to the wall) and she was hanging there by her tail.. thank god i was near by, but she let out the loudest scream.. i nearly died.. poor thing.. luckily her tail was fine but it sure was scary..

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member

When my little phoebe was younger, I was cleaning my room and i made a pile of shoe boxes and other boxes just slightly behind the closet door. she was sittings on them. i guess she lost her footing, the boxes fell, which then closed the closet door on her tail (in between the wall and where it is attached to the wall) and she was hanging there by her tail.. thank god i was near by, but she let out the loudest scream.. i nearly died.. poor thing.. luckily her tail was fine but it sure was scary..

Oh gosh just thinking about your scare is freaky enough. It s a wonder how things like that happen to them, but then again they are in to everything.

Patti

Last edited:

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
So glad to hear her tail is not broken! Did they say whether the kink will be permanent with the dislocation? Did he put it back into position?

My Fluffy had a broken tail as a baby. She has a major kink because she was not properly cared for before she came to me. Luckily it gives her no problems and does NOT appear to give her any pain. It literally bends in half about a third of the way up and she lets me touch it and mess with it without any complaining. I hope she heals without problems! I love Fluffy's kinky tail!

image.jpg

Jen

Last edited by a moderator:

susi794

Staff member
So glad it wasn't broken, I was also wondering if the vet realigned it. I'm praying poor Izzy heals quickly and as painlessly as possible. You are a good mommy to have gotten right on it.
Hugs,
Susi and the gang

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

Holy cow. YIKES!

Tiffany_Kay

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
So glad it wasn't broken, I was also wondering if the vet realigned it. I'm praying poor Izzy heals quickly and as painlessly as possible. You are a good mommy to have gotten right on it.
Hugs,
Susi and the gang

Sadly no he didn't realign it but i did ask, he could but due to her ligaments being torn it wouldn't stay in any position he put it in. It just has to heal naturally. I asked about wrapping it and with it being her tail there isn't much you can put on the tail that doesn't disrupt the cat and possibly make it worse by her trying to get it off. So o' natural is how we are doing things. Once the ligaments heal her tail should go back to normal.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
So glad to hear her tail is not broken! Did they say whether the kink will be permanent with the dislocation? Did he put it back into position?

My Fluffy had a broken tail as a baby. She has a major kink because she was not properly cared for before she came to me. Luckily it gives her no problems and does NOT appear to give her any pain. It literally bends in half about a third of the way up and she lets me touch it and mess with it without any complaining. I hope she heals without problems! I love Fluffy's kinky tail!

View attachment 20048

Jen

We will have to start a kinky tail cclub.
Ki came with one.
uploadfromtaptalk1390093905530.jpg

It gives her personality too.

ZiggyStardust

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sadly no he didn't realign it but i did ask, he could but due to her ligaments being torn it wouldn't stay in any position he put it in. It just has to heal naturally. I asked about wrapping it and with it being her tail there isn't much you can put on the tail that doesn't disrupt the cat and possibly make it worse by her trying to get it off. So o' natural is how we are doing things. Once the ligaments heal her tail should go back to normal.

So glad to hear it's not broken!! Hope it heals quickly. I understand the difficulty of bandaging a tail! :rolleyes: We tried to keep one on Toothy's tail for a month before we gave up. Now he's got a cute stubby tail. (In his case, he had an open wound that wouldn't heal - not a broken tail or kink.)

Tiffany_Kay

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Well she hasn't wanted to sleep in bed with us preferring her bed/hut instead. I think it's because she can sleep in peace without us touching or moving her, possibly causing her pain. She's been staying in her hut more than usual but I think that has to do with the pain meds she's on... Sleepy loopy kitty. She was moving around a bit more this morning until I gave her the last dose of her pain meds. The swelling in her tail has gone down but it still has a kink. It may straighten out once the ligaments heal or it may not. I still love her either way. It's now just a crazy story to tell.

Back