Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Purchasing a Sphynx kitten! HELP!

Helsinki

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
it also says that if I vaccinate the kitten for FIP, FeLV, or FIV, they all warranties of health are void. Is this bad??? I have a dog and I know that my contract was a little different and REQUIRED me to get him all shots possible.

This clause is actually pretty common. I think it's important for people to know why these specific vaccines are often not recommended.

-the FeLV vaccine is only 75-85‰ effective at preventing feline leukemia. It also carries a pretty heavy risk of causing your cat to develop sarcomas (cancerous tumors) which can be fatal. If your cat isn't at risk (ie, it's an indoor cat as a sphynx should be), the possible benefit simply doesn't outweigh the risk.

-The FIP vaccine isn't effective in or recommended for use in cats who have been exposed to the caronavirus. Most cats (particularly those from catteries) have been exposed to caronavirus. This vaccine is listed as "not generally recommended" because it has little to no indication. Why give your cat a vaccine that is pretty much guaranteed to do nothing good?

-there are five FIV strains total (clades A-D) , and the vaccine was created using two strains (clades A and D) and tested for only one strain (clade A). Clade B is the most common strain in the US. FIV is pretty uncommon, and is spread through bite wounds between cats. If your cat has no risk of being bitten by an infected cat, it has no risk of contracting the virus. This vaccine can cause sarcomas and will also ensure that your cat will now test positive for FIV, so that you will be unable to ever know in the future if your cat becomes infected. If your cat is lost, and someone finds it and takes it to get tested, it will show as positive for FIV and may be destroyed.

Sphynx are sometimes more sensitive to the side effects of vaccines than the average cat. The above vaccines carry heavy risks and questionable effectiveness, particularly for indoor cats. This is why they are often recommended against and in some cases specifically listed as voiding your contract.

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@KaiRo It is against the terms & conditions of the site to name breeders... if you have any recommendations you can PM them to members though :)

Kyla L

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
It also says that if I vaccinate the kitten for FIP, FeLV, or FIV, they all warranties of health are void. Is this bad???!

My contract stated nothing about vaccines, but my county required me to get him all of his vaccines in his first year and after that we can just do rabies booster every year. Since Nigel will be traveling with us to Texas occasionally he will be given all of his shots every three years. And the rabies every year. His vet seems to think that will be the best course of action. She also gives all injections that could cause cancer as low as physically possible on the left hind leg in case cancer were to grow there and amputation would be required it wouldn't be such a bad amputation as the whole leg/hip.

I know that I don't care one poot about the health guarantee in my contract though. If Nigel were to get sick I would have to return him and they send me a new kitten? Pfft! If Nigel gets sick he stays with me until he dies, and I don't want a new kitten. It would break my heart to give him back so he could die somewhere he wasn't loved. So I would void my health guarantee in a heartbeat if it meant keeping him safe while he is traveling with me.

Forgive me if Im wrong, but most of the time those health guarantees are for other breeders who are purchasing breeding or show stock and not pets. I do understand that when people spend that much money they want some kind of guarantee that they can get it back. But I'm not one for actually using the "warranty."

Nigelthomas

Lairian
Welcome!! Here is what I look for in a breeder:
  • Scans for HCM yearly, and does not breed cats until both have been scanned
  • A reasonable contract, preferably with a health / HCM guarentee
  • Reputable! helps to have recommendations, a good website and online presence. (I search google for reviews on them too.)
  • Lets kittens go at a good age - no earlier than 12 weeks.
  • Open to answering questions, and if nearby - you paying visits. People underestimate the value of a breeder that will keep in contact with you once your kitten is home.
Something I wish I had told myself when I was looking.. be patient!! If you have to wait on a waitlist for a kitten, it could be a sign that the breeder is good. Don't go with a breeder who is sub par just because they have kittens available right now, I know it's tough when you see their cute little faces but try your best ;) .. finding a good breeder is so worth the wait! what is a few more months when you will have that cat for years to come.

If you have to travel or have the kitten shipped (in a good way - ie. not cargo) just to find a good breeder... it's worth it! Don't go with a sub par breeder just because that's all there is nearby.

This is all just my opinion, but I hope it helps! This has all come from my experience getting two sphynx from separate breeders within the past year. I wish I knew then what I know now..... !

Keep us updated on how your search is going. :)
So I need to ask ... Why scan for hcm when a cat can get it years later? I the research that I gave done I found that kittens can come home when parents were scanned clear and two years later they can get it .... So this making sure they are scanned doesn't make sense ..

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
You are correct there is no guarantee. But it does make it less likely that it is a back yard breeder who is possibly churning out unhealthy babies. The cost of scanning is expensive and back yard breeders usually will not pay, but a more responsible breeder wants to have as healthy of breeding lines as possible not just for their pocketbook, but for the livelihood of the breed. There is some genetics involved so if parents are scanned clear there is a bit less of a chance the kittens will develop it. We see too many very young cats ( 2-4 years of age) with HCM. It is heart breaking.

Patti

Tylers Mom

Lairian
Hello everyone,
I am in need of some desperate help! I have been researching the Sphynx breed for a couple months now in hopes of soon purchasing one. I am fascinated by them, they are beautiful cats with lots of personality! I have been in contact with various breeders in the past few weeks and i am having some trouble figuring out which may be reputable breeders.

What should i be on the look out for? Some scan for HCM others don't, should i stay away from the ones who don't? Does anyone know of any good breeders in the MA/NY area?

I am hoping to bring a new kitty into my family within the next few months. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated! :)
I would look for one which is Tica certified and scans for HCM.. What I was reading was they aare held to a higher standard.. I bought my Sphynx 16 yrs ago so I didnt know any of this then . I just lost him to Heart failure. I was Blessed with 16 wonderful years.. I happened to pick a great breeder in pa, but I see she is not in business anymore...

Heather Neumann

Lairian
Hello everyone,
I am in need of some desperate help! I have been researching the Sphynx breed for a couple months now in hopes of soon purchasing one. I am fascinated by them, they are beautiful cats with lots of personality! I have been in contact with various breeders in the past few weeks and i am having some trouble figuring out which may be reputable breeders.

What should i be on the look out for? Some scan for HCM others don't, should i stay away from the ones who don't? Does anyone know of any good breeders in the MA/NY area?

I am hoping to bring a new kitty into my family within the next few months. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated! :)
Be patient and don't rush (something I needed to do) Reputable breeders will almost always have a waiting list. Remember it should be about 4 months after your kitten is born until you will be receiving the little naked. So excited for you!

Cricket90265

Lairian
I am a biologist.

Many of you are posting about getting the cats scanned for HCM but there is a better way to certify that the parents will not pass on HCM; genetic testing. The problem with ultrasonic scanning is that a cat that is "certified clear", can later develop HCM, which means the cat carried, but did not yet exhibit, HCM. In order to insure that the sphynx breed is healthy, the cats must be truly clear of HCM prior to being bred, not just not exhibiting the genetic disease, HCM . UC Davis does genetic testing on cats to certify them genetically clear of HCM.

My adult daughter and I have a new cattery. My daughter and I have 3 sphynx females and a Dwelf stud cat. All of them will be genetically certified clear of the two types of HCM prior to ever being bred. This is the standard that should be requested by anyone who is purchasing a hairless cat.

Other requirements to find a good breeder is that there is a health guarantee in the kitten contract and that the breeder treat the cats as part of their family. Kittens should have had their first set of vaccinations prior to leaving the cattery and have had a healthy kitten exam. Kittens should leave with diet recommendations and care instructions. If the kitten has been on dry food, they should come with a bag of that food so there are no abrupt diet changes.

A good breeder will be available for questions throughout the life of the cat.

My Dwelf stud cat, Photon, will have his color genetically determined by UC Davis, because his color phenotype (the color we can see) is dominant white, which is always genetically Ww. Dominant white covers all other colors so Photon could be carrying any color under his white phenotype.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I agree it would ultimately be the absolute best for all, but it is baby steps to even get breeders to scan their breeding cats these days in hopes it will eliminate backyard breeders. There is no guarantee like you said by just scanning but every bit helps in educating people. Thanks for sharing. How much does it cost for this genetic test per cat? @Cricket90265

Patti

Cricket90265

Lairian
[QUOTE="How much does it cost for this genetic test per cat? @Cricket90265

I'll have to check, but IMR the cost is very reasonable. There are two types of HCM so two tests must be done. I recall each test being $40-$50. So the cost to insure that you have a cat clear of HCM forever is $100 or less!

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh my. @Cricket90265 -- If you start breeding after testing, I want to reserve one lol. (Poor thing would have a very long flight tho.)
That's the kind of breeder I like. :)
Now if only I could find one in Germany who does this (the genetic test). :/
Although, Pixie is so damn jealous, I don't know if she'd accept another Sphynx into her home, to share her human...

Cricket90265

Lairian
Maine Coon HCM

HCM

$40/test times two, $80! These tests are superior to ultrasound. These tests require a saliva swab which will be "fun". Oh my!

Eventually, as the sphynx breed matures, I would like to see the breed require all breeding animals be genetically scanned clear of HCM.

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm sorry biologist or not playing around with genetics just so you can predetermine what colour cat you want is not in the breeds best interest that's to satisfy human "I want I want" you want a specific colour it's not in the best interest of keeping the breed healthy. Sorry I've never understood the w ting of colour to me personality trumps just like in humans it ain't their beauty that interests me it's their personality and I think starting to medal in genetics is about as irresponsible as a breeder not scanning. But that's my 2 cents worth and I'm not a biologist

Cricket90265

Lairian
"]I'm sorry biologist or not playing around with genetics just so you can predetermine what colour cat you want is not in the breeds best interest that's to satisfy human "I want I want" you want a specific colour it's not in the best interest of keeping the breed healthy. Sorry I've never understood the w ting of colour to me personality trumps just like in humans it ain't their beauty that interests me it's their personality and I think starting to medal in genetics is about as irresponsible as a breeder not scanning. But that's my 2 cents worth and I'm not a biologist[/QUOTE]

You misunderstood what I wrote. I will have all my breeding cats scaned for genetic disease prior to breeding them. If they have any genetic disease they will be fixed and never bred. My commitment as a breeder is to produce extremely healthy, well socialized (lovers) kittens.

In addition color genetics is very interesting to me. Of course I know the phenotype of all of my will-be breeders, but.....

In the case of Photon, my beloved stud Dwelf, who is phenotypically dominate white.....I will also have him scanned genetically for 1) color genetics, 2) spotting gene and the 3) pointed gene.

These are three separate additional tests and it has to do with my curiosity. They also add to the cost of the testing of my cats. I haven't decided whether or not to do color testing on my queens.

I am NOT medleing in genetics as you put it.

Education is not modification.

Cricket90265

Lairian
Oh my. @Cricket90265 -- If you start breeding after testing, I want to reserve one lol. (Poor thing would have a very long flight tho.)
That's the kind of breeder I like. :)
Now if only I could find one in Germany who does this (the genetic test). :/
Although, Pixie is so damn jealous, I don't know if she'd accept another Sphynx into her home, to share her human...

Thank you! Hopefully there are other breeders who feel the same way I do. My cats aren't old enough to breed yet but when they are, if you still want one, maybe we could meet in the middle. I would love to meet more people who are dedicated to the health and happiness of this amazing breed!

I will ONLY breed my cats if they prove genetically healthy. I already know that my 3 females and 1 stud cat are the sweetest cats I have ever known!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Cricket90265 I found your post interesting about DNA so I dug a bit further because I wondered why I did not hear this before and if it was so much cheaper than scanning why are more breeders not doing this? I found this article specifically regarding Sphynx DNA testing for HCM and it states this is not possible in the breed at the time of the article but is in maincoon and rag doll breeds. HCM FAQ

Do you have an article showing differently as I would like to continue to read up on the topic if this is truly available. From what I see they say the gold standard in the breed is still scanning. We see many wanting to fund groups to make genetics testing in the breed available and accurate.

Patti

Cricket90265

Lairian
Catzzzmeow, I don't have an article that states a positive for genetic testing specifically in sphynx, this is why I will have mine tested for both types of HCM. I will contact UC Davis after the holidays and talk to them about HCM in sphynx and other types of genetic testing. I will post what I find here.

There is a dearth of information on cat genetics. As I do my research, much of what I read is either written by non-scientists or was written prior to even the human genome project. But I keep searching. It may take a trip to the veterinary library at Davis or another veternary school, but hopefully I will puzzle this out.

kdmotter

Lairian
I am fairly certain that HCM within the Sphynx breed is not always attributed to one specific gene sequence. While there is some evidence that there is a possible mutation, not all cases of HCM within the breed have been associated with the known mutation. Everything I know points to the fact that there are likely several mutations/combinations of mutations that lead to HCM in this breed.

Rara22

Lairian
@MunnkieSphynx hmmm.. 2 years isn't completely unreasonable I'd say. Some people have their cats scanned every 18 months. I would be asking when they are next being scanned, where they get scanned, etc.

3 years health guarantee is very good but I don't think HCM would be classed as congenital or hereditary and therefore not covered. Not every breeder has an HCM clause, Alfie's didn't and unluckily he ended up diagnosed at 1 year. Some other breeders offer a 1/3/5 year guarantee. It's tricky though as often it is outside the breeders hands, a cat can develop HCM when it's parents are both negative.

You could ask them about HCM, if it is covered at all.

About the vaccinations, sounds like she is anti-vaccination. There are a lot of people like that, even on this site too. Personally I think it is in bad taste that the health guarantee is void if you do believe in vaccinations but it has some logic to it. The only mandatory vaccination here is rabies. We get all done where some people only get the bare minimum. I would have a search on the site for "vaccine" get some opinions and make your own decision.

This is just my 2c , some others might disagree, but hope it helps :)
I had gotten the kittens I have vaccines from the vet which had live viruses in them, and nearly lost 2 of them due to it. I haven't wanted to take them back for more shots because it took me 3 months to save the sickest one. All of the kittens had a bad reaction to the shots, but luckily the vet charged the shot makers for all the meds I needed to save the kittens. The other 3 kittens were sold by the stud owner and she apparently didn't like them getting shots either, but I thought they are basically required. Do u really only give ur cats the rabies vaccine?

susi794

Staff member
I scan my breeding cats yearly for HCM and am unaware of any DNA testing for HCM in the sphynx breed. I know they are working on it, but as of yet, it isn't available. Yes, scanning doesn't guarantee your cat won't get HCM, as it is only reflective of that minute in time. BUT, early detection means a better quality of life should your cat contract it.

Rainy19437

Lairian
Hello everyone,

Back