Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Dallassummer

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hey guys!

I haven't been around in awhile. Just finishing up Nursing School and I remembered how fun and helpful this place is. I have an issue with my bambino Nala. I'll try to keep this short and sweet.
I have three kitties, Simba (6yrs. Sphynx), Nala (5yrs. Bambino), & Kiara (1.5yrs. Cornish Rex). When I first got Simba, he was from a "kitty mill", runt-like, skinny, giardia, conjunctivitis, constant respiratory infections. The "breeder" had around 12 cats, and would just put out one big paper plate of meow mix and let the cats essentially fight to eat, like whoever could get to the plate and get as much food as they could. Simba was so small/skinny. It was safe to assume he never got much. When I rescued Simba he was obsessed with food. I was free-feeding Wellness Core Dry. He would eat it constantly to the point he was 17lbs. He also later developed bladder crystals, kidney stone and hydronephrosis (urine backed up into the kidney from an obstruction of kidney stones). We had to eliminate all dry food from the house and free-feeding. We homemake our own food now for cost-effectiveness. A 100% wet food diet for three kitties was very expensive. Simba has come a long way since I first rescued him and hes healthy, no kidney/bladder issues for two years. I add water to their food and homemake it myself to monitor mineral levels.

Fast Forward... I'd say the past three months Nala has gotten out of control in her behavior toward food. Nala came from a perfect great breeder, never has had health issues, perfect blood work done every six months including electrolytes, blood count, etc. She used to be perfectly normal about food, just would get excited and such. Now she begs for food almost all the time. Anytime I get up from chair/couch/bed anywhere in the house she runs up to me, meows and leads me to the fridge where her food is. She'll start doing is usually three hours after a meal until I feed them again. She has started eating her meal extremely fast, no chewing, just inhaling. She'll finish in two minutes tops. Then she runs across the room duck her head in Simba's and/or Kiara's bowl to steal whatever she can fit in her mouth, and run off with it, usually leaving a trial of scraps in her wake from it falling out of her mouth. If you move her or her bowl while she eating she will growl at me, never any physical aggression though. She's NEVER bit anyone/anything in her life. She's such a sweetheart, just lately has changed into a devil with food. You'd think I never feed her. She's been the same weight for the past three years, fluctuating between 6.5-7.5lbs. She's also been getting the same portion of food for around that time. She gets 3oz twice a day, usually at 8am and 5pm depending on work schedules. The 3oz is of meat, I add 1oz of water after that making 4oz meals total. I use a scale every time I feed to make sure they always get the right amount.

I've made a worksheet of my homemade food recipe, added up the calories/protein/fat/carb ratio to what reputable sources say a cat her size needs daily. From my findings, she is getting more than enough calories for her weight. I even upped it and went with the higher end of the recommendation since she is a sphynx. She's semi-active. Spayed. The food consist mainly of chicken and liver with added supplements. It's fully cooked.

Not sure what to do, her blood work is always sparkling perfect. Behavior is good except this. She tries to steal human food sometimes, but not usually. Simba and Kiara act fine, they love food but aren't as crazy as Nala. They just get excited and such.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Dallassummer so glad to see you on the lair ! Yah! I remember your nursing school mention!
happy for you !

Head smooches to all paws
Just wanted to pass on to ask your vet about thyroid?

Some can get increased appetite if something going on with thyroid?
Worth asking your vet

@Condo commando any suggestions?

Following closely for updates

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
You’ll feel better with a vet check and so will she. Please update us as your info will help others in the future.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Has Nala lost weight? What exact meat is she eating? It's good to rotate in case there's a certain nutrient her body is craving.

I think if Nala hasn't lost weight AND the other cats eat the same thing and their behavior is normal, it could just be behavior related. It doesn't mean spoile, just that cats have natural instincts to do certain things.

Dallassummer

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Condo commando She has not lost weight. Everyone eats the same thing.
The homemade food is chicken (switched up between thigh and breast), liver, pumpkin, fish oil, al-nutrin, and beef gelatin. Nala gets about 180 calories a day from the six ounces she eats. I've thought about supplementing her with a dry food maybe. It's just hard to keep it away from Simba. He's obsessed with dry food.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Condo commando She has not lost weight. Everyone eats the same thing.
The homemade food is chicken (switched up between thigh and breast), liver, pumpkin, fish oil, al-nutrin, and beef gelatin. Nala gets about 180 calories a day from the six ounces she eats. I've thought about supplementing her with a dry food maybe. It's just hard to keep it away from Simba. He's obsessed with dry food.

Hi there, I use Alnutrin and I'm very happy with it.

I don't think you need to supplement any dry food. If your cats are like mine that won't even work. One time I was going away for a night and I didn't have anybody to look in on my 2 sphynxies. So I gave them their first meal of the day, but for the second meal I thought "I'll leave a bowl of kibble." Well, before leaving I put a couple of little bowls out with kibble and no sooner than I turn around, the cats ate everything. They are so used to eating when I put food down that they don't know how to save anything for later. I think this is probably what would happen if you tried to leave kibble out "for later."

It does sound a little strange to me that Nala would suddenly start begging and going after all the food. My cats come to me asking me for food on weekends or other days that I'm home. I just give them a little something and they go on their merry way until it's time for dinner. You could try a snack with Nala so she isn't as ravenous at dinner time. I think if it were me, I would give Nala a little more in her normal meal anyway....even just an extra half ounce in the morning to see if that keeps her fuller the whole day. Keep a close eye on her weight because that's how you know if you're feeding the right amount.

I'm not sure if you are leaving the skin on the chicken but I would leave at least half of the skin. Skin is fat but cats need fat.

If you see a weight loss, see a vet because that is usually a sign of something going on. I also make sure my 2 get a complete blood panel every year (which it sounds like you are on top of already) because many things will show up in bloodwork first. They always tell me "we don't do that unless there's a problem" but I insist.

Back