Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

SPHYNX HCM DNA TEST

Yoda mom

Staff member
@babymeow , if the insurance company asks for vet records and it has been recorded it could impact as "pre existing".

if you are considering ANY tests, and shopping insurance, I would read small print of contracts before signing up for a good fit. I personally would do any tests after insurance secured. I don't have insurance as mine are all senior adoptees (rates can increase as they get older as members have shared).

when I shopped insurance years ago I requested an email copy of contract . some required certain vaccines, which can be sticky because some breeders void contracts if certain vaccines given like Felv (feline leukemia or FIP vaccine). always read small print. glad you are doing research. hugs n head smooches to you and Nabi.

babymeow

Lairian
@babymeow , if the insurance company asks for vet records and it has been recorded it could impact as "pre existing".

if you are considering ANY tests, and shopping insurance, I would read small print of contracts before signing up for a good fit. I personally would do any tests after insurance secured. I don't have insurance as mine are all senior adoptees (rates can increase as they get older as members have shared).

when I shopped insurance years ago I requested an email copy of contract . some required certain vaccines, which can be sticky because some breeders void contracts if certain vaccines given like Felv (feline leukemia or FIP vaccine). always read small print. glad you are doing research. hugs n head smooches to you and Nabi.
I just ordered a DNA test. It will provide a genetic screen of 120 diseases including HCM. I was debating whether to choose from Basepaws or Neogen/Catscan but I went with Neogen because they are partnered with Cat fancier's association and also had HCM specific to Sphynx Cats. Basepaws screens for HCM too but I don't know if it is breed specific but they are having a sale right now. I got my test from Neogen for 107.95 ($99.00 + Shipping price). They also test specifically for Sphynx these as well:

Coat Type - Curly (Devon Rex, Selkirk Rex Type) or Hairless (Sphynx Type) - R Locus​

Congenital Myasthenic Syndrome​

Cystinuria, Type B, Variant 2​

Last edited:

Letitia

Lairian
I just ordered a DNA test. It will provide a genetic screen of 120 diseases including HCM. I was debating whether to choose from Basepaws or Neogen/Catscan but I went with Neogen because they are partnered with Cat fancier's association and also had HCM specific to Sphynx Cats. Basepaws screens for HCM too but I don't know if it is breed specific but they are having a sale right now. I got my test from Neogen for 107.95 ($99.00 + Shipping price). They also test specifically for Sphynx these as well:

Coat Type - Curly (Devon Rex, Selkirk Rex Type) or Hairless (Sphynx Type) - R Locus​

Congenital Myasthenic Syndrome​

Cystinuria, Type B, Variant 2​

Thank you for this!

shivvyxoxo

Lairian
This test is available to all of us, pet owners and breeders.

Taking the test can help save lives.

More information can be found here:

We are so lucky to be able to make better breeding decisions based on this data.

This will save lives and heartache.
This is such a great resource, thank you for sharing.

blindowlblues

Lairian
I sent my vet an email to ask if we could order this test as the doc didn’t seem to know about it during the exam. Then I realized I the owner could apparently order it myself so went ahead and did so. I hope I can do the swab correctly; I’m nervous as when I did the swab dna test for myself I kept getting replies telling me I hadn’t generated enough saliva, and had to do it 3 times before the test would work.

This test is available to all of us, pet owners and breeders.

Taking the test can help save lives.

More information can be found here:

We are so lucky to be able to make better breeding decisions based on this data.

This will save lives and heartache.

blindowlblues

Lairian
I’m now seeing that it may not be as accurate on the Donskoy variety, which in theory is what Dasha is, being from Russia. I think it’s worth the $40 anyway.

blindowlblues

Lairian
Thank you!! I’ve an appt scheduled at her vet for the 17th when they’ll recheck her ears and do a chest x ray to start getting a baseline on her heart condition.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
From what I googled 2 years. I would think there should be a date stamped somewhere on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yoda mom

Staff member
@blindowlblues , keep us updated on the DNA results.
I have no idea what a generic Canadian sphynx is
I saw this image a few years back
1715294879445.png

Back