Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx kitten won’t play and sleep all day

khdz29

Lairian
Hi! a few days ago i adopted 3 months old sphynx kitten, his name is Iggy. I was so excited, but very much confused about his activities because it’s my first time having a hairless cat at home. I tried to play with rope, ball, furry things and other toys. Pretty much hoping he’ll likes it, but apparently he’s not.

Iggy’s just like to sit near the window or just sleeps a lot. He often didn’t show any interest if i play the toys in front of him. But he was still drank water, ate his food, and others. Do you guys have any suggestions to do? or did i do something wrong while playing the toys? or sphynx kitten just sleeps a lot?

oh! and Iggy is now having a diarrhea because he lick/swallow something while i wasn’t in guard, any suggestions to do?

much love from Iggy!❤️

JessicaRosexo

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I would maybe see about taking Iggy for a check with the vet in regards to possible licking or swallowing of something unusual?
Especially if he seems off in himself.

My first sphynx who isn’t with me anymore(passed away) he didn’t really like to play much Evan as a baby.
My Loki- He is rather active but has slowed down a little bit as he has got older(8 years)
Nylah- she plays a little again nothing major(2 years)
All my sphynx have preferred sleep over play!❤️

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I've learned cats are particular about their toys. I have 3 sphynxes.

One of them plays by himself with wire toys. He bats them with one paw and then chases it, bats it again and chases it. It's great because he doesn't need me.

Another one likes to play but I have to twirl something in front of her. She loves Da Bird.

The 3rd one ....I thought she didn't like to play with anything Then one day I bought a new toy which is an orange iguana on a string and she went crazy for it. The string broke so I had to get another one. She's 10 years old and she still attacks the iguana whenever I take it out. Oh and we have geckos here and sometimes they get inside. This sphynx catches them in like 1 second. I have never seen her move so fast. Makes you wonder if she thinks the toy iguana is just a mutant gecko.

Last edited:

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It sounds like you need to kitten-proof your house. I had to learn to be careful when I opened the door because twice I had a sphynx get out without me realizing it. I like to think my cats teach me what I need to do for them.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Congrats with Iggy. Some kittens need time to get used to their new home and feel stressed the first days. That'll cost of lot of energy and they'll sleep a lot. Was he playful at the breeders house?
To make sure there's no health issue causing him to sleep so much you could go for a health check

Yoda mom

Staff member
@khdz29 hugs n head smooches sweet Iggy... many contracts mention a wellness check within a certain time period. a wellness and bring in a stool sample is often recommended when we get our new babies.

what did Iggy get into? lick/swallow? you can always call the vet and let them know and follow their instructions. you want to make sure nothing toxic or that could cause an obstruction.

these sphynx are into everything. kitty proofing home is for life with these little darlings.

CathyO

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Or maybe ask breeder if Iggy’s Personality is like that - not as playful? Yes, vet check for sure. But yeah, each feline is def diff and there is no typical per se.

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi! a few days ago i adopted 3 months old sphynx kitten, his name is Iggy. I was so excited, but very much confused about his activities because it’s my first time having a hairless cat at home. I tried to play with rope, ball, furry things and other toys. Pretty much hoping he’ll likes it, but apparently he’s not.

Iggy’s just like to sit near the window or just sleeps a lot. He often didn’t show any interest if i play the toys in front of him. But he was still drank water, ate his food, and others. Do you guys have any suggestions to do? or did i do something wrong while playing the toys? or sphynx kitten just sleeps a lot?

oh! and Iggy is now having a diarrhea because he lick/swallow something while i wasn’t in guard, any suggestions to do?

much love from Iggy!❤
Visit a vet for a check up.

khdz29

Lairian
hi everyone thankyou for your concern and the advice for checking up Iggy to the vet. I have visited the vet 3rd times, the veterinarian gave me some medicine due to his diarrhea and a Gastrointestinal wet food.
But suddendly Iggy’s right now having some bad rash, redness all over his skin, mostly on his neck, chest, and legs can somebody help me? i went to the vet again and the vererinarian said it’s not because he’s allergy to the medicine. And they did nothing.
But, Iggy’s breeder said it could be allergy, i am so confused right now, and don’t know what to do. please help me i’m afraid that it might become worst 0774CA4D-A740-4544-A71C-FE4884CC7395.jpegE401F969-7E10-4B73-96F2-11D70B512013.jpeg
0774CA4D-A740-4544-A71C-FE4884CC7395.jpeg
E401F969-7E10-4B73-96F2-11D70B512013.jpeg

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I would seek a second opinion with another vet. Any allergic reaction that severe would make a cat uncomfortable and for your vet to do nothing about it, I would look for more help. Between medicine and new food it’s hard to tell which set off the rash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sheldon13

Staff member
I agree. It is definitely an allergy of some kind. Whether to food or medicine, I don’t know. Definitely needs a second opinion.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@khdz29 I would suggest you write down:

What food has been eaten brands ingredients - monitor if it gets worse or symptoms
What shampoo
What washing powder on clothes sheets and bedding
Perfumes deodorants sprays cleaning chemicals used

I would also be cold compressing the sore red skin often with with soft flannels and water only and only use cotton blankets washed in hypoallergenic product.

We use OMO SENSITIVE.

You need to find out what’s causing it and see a dermatologist.

Last edited:

nakeyblue

Lairian
Hi, my kitty blue was like this for a little bit and it really worried me. We brought him home at 15 weeks old. I think that for Blue he just needed some time to adjust to his new place. He slept sooo long all day and night and only played a little. He's almost 7 months now and he is not like he was as a little baby. Loves to play all throughout the day and take cat naps. definitely try different types of toys! Blue's favorite is regular hair ties- he plays fetch

There was an instance of diarrhea for us a couple months ago and my vet said to not give him dinner that night, just water, so his tummy could settle. If it continued into the next day, to call vet for further instruction
Good luck :)

Back