Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

"Tea tree oil ear wash"

Prince Anubis

Lairian
hello I recently bought a new ear wash for my babies, but I don't want to use it without asking if anybody has ever tried this product before? Or if I should not use it? It's Tea Tree Oil ear wash from Naturevet. I read good reviews on it but I would still like to ask before I expose babies to it.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Most people use Epi - Optic ear cleaner.
I don't know anything about the tea tree oil. If it's for
Cat's, you can try and see. Haven't heard anyone here
say anything about using it. Let us know what you think about it.
Will be information, we need, on this forum.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
hello I recently bought a new ear wash for my babies, but I don't want to use it without asking if anybody has ever tried this product before? Or if I should not use it? It's Tea Tree Oil ear wash from Naturevet. I read good reviews on it but I would still like to ask before I expose babies to it.
From what I can remember, tea tree oil products are harmful to cats, see this thread SHAMPOO. Product question. . Is it a pet shampoo? Cats skin reacts different then human skin and absorbs products much differently. :)

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yes tea tree oil is toxic to cats! Never use this product on your cat. For ear cleaning I find that saline solution works very well or a little bit of mineral oil if they get really dirty. I only use this for areas that won't come off with a saline solution. Just a bit on a cotton pad hold it in place for a few seconds on the trouble spot. Them wipe gently until the grease dissolves.

Yoda mom

Staff member
I have the same stuff but only to use on dogs ears - I will not use it on cats even though it has a cat on the label picture - you could return it saying you don't feel good using tea tree oil ingredients

I have trizultra plus Keto amd Epi otic advanced

I prefer trizultra ultra plus Keto ( can be used on skin irritations too)
Buy Trizultra with Keto Otic flush for cats, dogs and horses
I get the 12 oz bottle amd shop prices online

On a flat cotton cosmetic pad and gently wipe inside ears
I like both regular amd precision QTips - the precision to gently swirl the small outer edge flap -
Only wear you can see
I also use a little head lamp :)

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I have nothing to add really accept another support for either Trizultra or Epi-otic. And of course, I have also read the tea tree products are not to be used on cats.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Prince Anubis , You can call the company and ask about ingredients -

I know there are kitty dental products for example that list a form of aloe - I (was always told aloe is toxic to kitties)
But products are supposedly made with a different part of the plant
Same with the topical cream products with aloe

Prince Anubis

Lairian
It's an ear wash. & I only damped the Q-tips a bit when I used it, I used it once but now that I've read this information I'm going to return it & buy Epi-Optic since it seems to be favorable in this forum. I always have a such a hard time getting my babies to comply during ear cleaning time. I'm going to buy the precision Q-tips as well & hopefully this will make the process smoother. Thank you all for your help!

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It's an ear wash. & I only damped the Q-tips a bit when I used it, I used it once but now that I've read this information I'm going to return it & buy Epi-Optic since it seems to be favorable in this forum. I always have a such a hard time getting my babies to comply during ear cleaning time. I'm going to buy the precision Q-tips as well & hopefully this will make the process smoother. Thank you all for your help!
All we can do is our best. Tea tree and other essential oils tend to be most problematic with extended use so I'm sure this one exposure won't have caused any lasting harm. I find doing a once over with either a cloth or cotton pad to get rid of the bulk of the grime before going in with the q-tips also helps a bunch. This is Frida's least favourite part of grooming too, but I know she feels better afterwards. Happy grooming.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Prince Anubis ,
I also pre wipe inside of ears with a wetted cotton round
I get the plain non exfoliating ones - big lots has 100 pk for about $1.20

I lay it all out on the bathroom counter along won't a treat jar
I put regular q tips and precision qtips ontop of several round pads and wet with ear cleaner all at once

I go get kitty and with a towel on my lap
Sit on the closed toilet seat
Amd they back up into my body
I Gently tilt head back and with fingers under chin and thumb by top of head and wipe inside with wetted cotton round

Give a little treat on my lap amd go to the next ear
Then go back and gently hold up ear and wipe inside where I can see
And gently twirl the precision qTips in the outer edge flap pocket

Then finish with a wipe of another wetted cotton round, followed by a dry one and then treats!

I build up time and tolerance -
They weren't the best at first or the cleanest ears but with time and treats when done much better

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 11
Back