Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

what brand cat food do you use?

what brand cat food do you prefer?

• Science Diet

Votes: 45 8.7%
  • Iams

Votes: 34 6.6%
  • Other

Votes: 378 72.8%
  • Raw Diet

Votes: 62 11.9%

• Total voters

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We will continue with what our breeder recommends... Nulo Freestyle wet & Nutro Essentials kibble. From what I've read, both these foods are highly protein rich, grain-free, and good quality. I will most likely stick to these brands, unless we run into issues.

Traci Smith

Lairian
I feed my sphynx Iams. Only because it's the best thing available at the grocery store. Having said that, I'm not particularly happy with it. ButterBall doesn't seem to like it. He's a little cat and those little nuggets are very hard and big. Royal Canin has rather small kibble that breaks apart pretty easily. ButterBall's momma sent me some Royal Canin and lil Butt seems to really like it. Unfortunately I'm hesitant on switching given Ball's belly issues but I think the next bag I'll get Science Diet or Royal Canin. I've always heard and read that Science Diet is the best.

Where yo live are you able to order from CHEWY or Amazon? Those are great options too !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
If you love your pets, please watch the PET FOOLED documentary on Netflix.
Be a responsible consumer and pet parent. Raw or not, please feed your pets the best food you can afford. They are family. They deserve that much.

Yoda mom

Staff member
After numerous attempts at grain free Acana, Orijen etc
I went back to the basic grain inclusive with a brand with no recalls
Not sold in chain stores

Viola - no more poo issues and even my IBD kitty is like a new kitty
So I wanted to pass it on

Now I free feed n go
Solid poos no skin issues no vomitting with IBD Bengal- Macie Bengals fur is like a leopard fur coat !

Buy NutriSource Chicken, Salmon & Liver Cat & Kitten Food

Also wanted to share whwn my adopted my boy he had a urinary tract infection
He refused to eat any of the "vet sold" urinary foods - we tried them all from the vet office

So I found as a urinary wet food with very similar Phosphurus % ,numbers as the hills c/d
Vet food

He has been eating Proplan urimary focus for 3 years without any more incidents of urinary infection

As treats I feed hills urinary hairball dry kibble

I feed what works

My dog ate proplan for 13 yrs - bought the best I could when I was 21
He lived twice the age as most rotties
So when I needed a urinary food for kitty I tried the proplan urinary focus amd mix in l-lysine
Amd he is 3 years without urinary issues
I also read hairball formulas can be good for kitties with poo issues

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    35.7 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    15.1 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Amy Ritchison

Lairian
I give Sinatra pure vita dry food and science diet hairball and urinary wet food , @Yoda mom recommended it ( best advice ever ) and it works great for him . I feel like he stays cleaner and poops are solid .

Amy Ritchison

Lairian
I give Sinatra pure vita dry food and science diet hairball and urinary wet food , @Yoda mom recommended it ( best advice ever ) and it works great for him . I feel like he stays cleaner and poops are solid .

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Amy Ritchison , hello! Nice to see you drop in ! Glad Sinatra is doing great!
Give him a big head smooch from me

Please remind me of the pure Vita flavor that works best for Sinatra

Years ago I read that the hairball formulas are good for solid poos
Mine are addicted to the Sciemce diet urinary hairball kibble I keep in a jar and give as treats

Amy Ritchison

Lairian
@Yoda mom , Sinatras food is the chicken and green pea from pure vita . Hope you doing good . Haven’t been on here in a while . I do the science diet urinary hairball kibble for treats as well .

pocovonloco

Lairian
I give Poco Royal Canin Kitten for now since he’s only 10 months old but soon after he turns 1 year I’m gonna give him Royal Canin Sphynx.

It’s actually just because Royal Canin has a product that is dedicated and designed for Sphynx Cat.

7AA1A03D-791C-40C1-9FE0-BA1CCD799461.jpeg
6E2E50EF-EB04-4C7A-876C-155D9A5904EB.jpeg

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I give Poco Royal Canin Kitten for now since he’s only 10 months old but soon after he turns 1 year I’m gonna give him Royal Canin Sphynx.

It’s actually just because Royal Canin has a product that is dedicated and designed for Sphynx Cat.

View attachment 86268 View attachment 86269
Oh wow I wonder if this product is available in the uk ? I am sure gonna have a search for it .. thank you for the heads up
Xxx❤️❤️❤️

k9guy

Lairian
Coming from a working dog background I know and understand the importance of how beneficial a raw diet can be to the health of an animal.

Because cats are more difficult to make sure they are getting all of the nutrients they need when making your own raw diet, I was looking for an alternative.

With that said I have been feeding my Dwelf, Stella & Chewy’s raw duck formula food. I can say that it is a top quality product and he is doing great on it. I encourage anyone looking to give their cat the best food possible to get away from the commercial products and go with something that is raw based.

wundrlust

Lairian
I get most of my food at Wags to Wiskers in Plainfield,Il. They are very conscious of the food they bring in. Currently my boys eats Open Farm, Farma ND, BFF, Fussie Cat, Rad Cat, Primal and Weruva. I know, it's a lot but we rotate. Trying to go completely raw.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@wundrlust , thank you for sharing :)
Mmm, nice variety rotation

Btw, which BFF amd Weruva flavors seem most preferred ?
I have picky picky brats- ome to this day will runs away from any canned food switching his tail in the air complaining in disgust lol

Last edited:

KKristen61

Lairian
Hmm.. that's interesting. I feed my cats Royal Canin. I used to feed my cats Iams before I found out how bad of a product they make. My dog almost died from eating Iams dog food.

I have not ventured that far into Science Diet for my cats, but I love Royal Canin and Sphynx breeders that I personally know use it too. it's very good stuff. And they are the only brand that actually makes baby cat food which is perfect for Sphynx kittens' lil jaws.

Which royal canin food do you feed them? I was looking at royal canin sphynx but I can’t find it anywhere.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@KKristen61 from my understanding the sphynx formula is not available in the USA
I would call Royal canin and ask if there are any online or retail options in the USA

Royal canin tel:+1-800-592-6687

Adoreabull

Lairian
Currently feeding my little man Little Big Paw kibbles in both Atlantic Salmon and British Chicken.

I saw it mention hypoallergenic and immediately bought it as he was having stomach upsets from Royal Canin.

"Naturally Delicious and Naturally Nutritious your cat will love the Big Taste in every crunchy kibble. …and absolutely no artificial preservatives, no colourants, no artificial flavourings, no grain, no wheat, no soya, no dairy and GMO Free Salmon. Just great food packed with natural goodness. "

Adoreabull

Lairian
I feed my kitten Royal Canin as it is preferred by both my breeder and my veterinarian.
The breeder fed them the Royal Canin Kitten kibble but I took him off it because he's not a kitten anymore. They don't have the sphynx RC food out here anywhere (nightmare) so I fed him the Fit 25 (I think it was called) and he had the worst stomach ever having a bad time with finding the right food.

Jeanhill72

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
The breeder fed them the Royal Canin Kitten kibble but I took him off it because he's not a kitten anymore. They don't have the sphynx RC food out here anywhere (nightmare) so I fed him the Fit 25 (I think it was called) and he had the worst stomach ever having a bad time with finding the right food.
Walter is only 8 months old, so I will be moving him to an adult food in a few months. I am sorry you are struggling, stomach issues are really hard to figure out, and they take FOREVER because you have to give each new food several weeks since the act of changing the food causes tummy issues too.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Adoreabull awhhh Wrinkles (( hugs n head smooches ))

I have an IBD bengal cat. the others are sphynx, The oldests brothers are 9 yrs old now

I can finally feed and go without any issues.

Nutrisource cat and kitten food ( blue bag) . and my dry food 9 yr old dry kibble addict eats Hills urinary hairball for years.. no poo issues. my Batman has been eating the science diet urinary hairball for years,,. my 9 yrs old, 8 yr old and 6 yrs eat this and nutrisource and never to the vet for issues

I was not crazy about the ingredients of science diet bu....t the proof is in the poop and no vet bills for nearly 10 years.
for wet food I use Proplan urinary focus.

again not crazy about ingredients, but when I adopted he had a UTI., refused the vet sold food, so fed him the urinary focus chicken he ate up.. .so now using it for years.

Never been to the vet again except for a scratched eye.

You will find what works for your baby... each kitty is different but hands down, no issues with these brands for a decade.

never been to the vet for any tummy or poo issues. I read years ago that hairball formulas can help with poo issues so I went for it and never looked back.

I also do not give any packaged treats. for treats I give Hills oral care dental dry food. they act like its package treats.

feeding 5 kitties this and no poo issues anymore.. even my IBD bengal cat has made an amazing transformation with nutrisource cat and kitten food , eating it for several years, after a zillion food trials finally found what works for her

following closely for updates! hugs n head smooches !

Last edited:
Back