Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
:cat: A question about sphynx whiskers...

Do whiskers come and go like the fuzziness?

Kenzo had some short brittle whiskers and a few brow hairs when we got him. They never grew and stayed until today... I noticed one was bent in half so went to look closer and, without any resistance, it literally slipped out. I gently tugged at another of the longer ones and it fell out too! Soooo then I pulled them all out. :joyful: There was about 8 total. Kenzo didn’t even blink or budge. I don’t think he felt a thing.

That said, I’ve seen many comments about kittens losing their baby whiskers. Do the come and go throughout their lifespan, or are they gone now? They slipped out so effortlessly, as if no root was attached at all.

Personally, I like a man with a little stubble, but I wouldn’t mind at all if Kenny stayed clean shaven. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Orpheus never had many whiskers he had 2-3 half little stubby ones that he still has but no more have grown in or anything like that. I think it depends on each cat too some have more fuzz/whiskers than others :)

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Catzzzmeow @Anansi Thanks y'all! Kenzo's were so short and broken... They did kind of made him look old bc the wrinkles plus white little hair sprouts on his muzzle lol. You can barely see them in this picture from yesterday afternoon. Now he's whisker-less! Secretly hoping they stay away... I was afraid they would keep growing and we would have to start calling him Master Splinter (TMNT).

IMG_9141.JPG

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Kenzo is gorgeous! Posing like a real model. As the others said most sphynx lose their whiskers but some do keep them and then they grow really long.

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Interesting... Siiri has some too, excited to see what happens with them!
IMG_20180608_161300_028.jpg

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Zab THOSE EYES! She is absolutely gorgeous!
Kenzo's whiskers looked similar and now, 2 weeks later, they are gone! No stubble has grown back over night.
I wouldn't want to mess with Siiri too too much, but if you're curious and if she's calm enough maybe give one a gentle tug and see? If its anything like Kenny's it will just slip right out without even disturbing or tugging at her muzzle.

I wonder if the lack of whiskers attributes to their clumsiness at all... I watch Kenzo tumble on and off furniture all day. I'm unsure if it's due to his age, or if he's just a klutz like myself. I've never really had a cat, so I don't know how coordinated they should be at 14.5 weeks.

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Zab THOSE EYES! She is absolutely gorgeous!
Kenzo's whiskers looked similar and now, 2 weeks later, they are gone! No stubble has grown back over night.
I wouldn't want to mess with Siiri too too much, but if you're curious and if she's calm enough maybe give one a gentle tug and see? If its anything like Kenny's it will just slip right out without even disturbing or tugging at her muzzle.

I wonder if the lack of whiskers attributes to their clumsiness at all... I watch Kenzo tumble on and off furniture all day. I'm unsure if it's due to his age, or if he's just a klutz like myself. I've never really had a cat, so I don't know how coordinated they should be at 14.5 weeks.

Yes, they are clumsy... the graceful sleekness comes later, but in my experience this breed is a constant clown. Maybe it's the high foot pads? I've been thinking about the whiskers. My cats use their paw to check the surface of the water in the bowl before drinking. Is this because they lack whiskers?

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Our Duo grow whiskers that bend and break a lot. They may grow long or short, but they always fall out by themselves. The same thing happens with their eyebrows. The one thing I would not do is to pull them out. In furry cats the whiskers are part of their sensing system, and are extremely sensitive to vibration and to touch and should not be pulled out. Knowing my two Klutzes, I don't think their whiskers are as sensitive, but I won't take a chance.

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Agnes has just a couple of whiskers, they are short and stubby. She also has a few eyebrow hairs on each side. Kenzo is absolutely stunning!

Duglynukem

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I was searching for info about Sphynx whiskers and eyebrows and found this thread from last year.

I noticed that Cleo was losing her whiskers and went looking for information. It seems she actually tries to rub them off on my face. Hers get kind of straggley as they get longer then whammo they’re gone.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I was searching for info about Sphynx whiskers and eyebrows and found this thread from last year.

I noticed that Cleo was losing her whiskers and went looking for information. It seems she actually tries to rub them off on my face. Hers get kind of straggley as they get longer then whammo they’re gone.

View attachment 90612

Well, they are kind of brittle in this breed so I’m not surprised they are coming off if she’s doing a lot of rubbing. She’s a cutie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I will follow up and say that Kenzo is now 11 months old and his whiskers and eyebrows are practically never present. The first “set” that he had as a kitten were the longest and thickest to date. Now, he sprouts one or two whiskers, sporadically, which never last long enough to grow even 1/4”... and yes, I still pull those out sometimes. :p;)

Back