Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Cat Litter

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We currently use Worlds Best Cat litter. We have no issues at all with it, and the sphynx cats use it no problem, and we find that it's not too bad with dust and good for clumping etc.

The reason I put up this post, is I see some people mentioning yeast infections that are associated with the Worlds Best Cat litter. I am wondering what this is caused from, the corn? And how would you know if your cats has a yeast infection? What would the signs be?

We are really happy with the litter, and like I said, haven't had any issues. But if it could be bad for them and cause yeast infections, that just concerns me a bit. So I was hoping for some more info on that. :)

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I found a few pics for you.
rOFSvfql.jpg

dNfhshRl.jpg

3PMMn8Yl.jpg

Hope this helps. It can cover their entire body.

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Also, can your vet test to see if your cat has a yeast infection? What do they do, take a swab of the skin?
Of course, we love our babies, and if this can cause infections, I don't want that at all!!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Nicolemorgan , you can call you vets office amd ask how a skin scraping works
- I have never had it done on my kitties but I know some members kitties have had skin scrapings if they presented with issues-

I would not do anything intrusive if not necessary

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Nicolemorgan , you can call you vets office amd ask how a skin scraping works
- I have never had it done on my kitties but I know some members kitties have had skin scrapings if they presented with issues-

I would not do anything intrusive if not necessary

Yeah I do agree @Yoda mom! Don't want to do anything like that if we don't have to. They look fine and I don't see anything like the photos shown. I just wanted to be informed and know what to watch for in case something like that happens.
I like being a prepared momma! Haha

Last edited:

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We currently use Worlds Best Cat litter. We have no issues at all with it, and the sphynx cats use it no problem, and we find that it's not too bad with dust and good for clumping etc.

The reason I put up this post, is I see some people mentioning yeast infections that are associated with the Worlds Best Cat litter. I am wondering what this is caused from, the corn? And how would you know if your cats has a yeast infection? What would the signs be?

We are really happy with the litter, and like I said, haven't had any issues. But if it could be bad for them and cause yeast infections, that just concerns me a bit. So I was hoping for some more info on that. :)

@Nicolemorgan that is an excellent question. I have never had any yeast infection issues here, thank goodness and wasn't 100% sure what it looked like either.

I did use World's Best for a very long time and loved the way it clumped. In my opinion, nothing clumps like World's Best, but I just needed a change. I couldn't stand the dust. The upstairs litterbox is in a corner where a window meets a door to a patio and both window and door have horizontal wooden blinds. I'd always see an accumulation of that rusty colored dust. As the litter would break down, I'd see that dust on my nakeds' paws as well.

After trying many, many different types of litter and giving each one a fair chance, I landed up using Clump & Seal Lightweight. The pees don't clump as quickly as the World's Best unless you let it sit in the box for a bit before scooping, then it's ok. It's 100% dust-free and has a pleasant aroma. Most of all, it's lightweight and I can easily carry two boxes at the same time (one in each hand). We buy a lot at a time and keep them in the basement and I can bring them from the basement all the way upstairs without help from anyone. It comes in a box with a convenient and comfortable handle on top.

Some of the other litters I've tried comes in bags which was awkward to carry and lots of them were very heavy for me.

I didn't like Dr. Elsey's for the heaviness and awkwardness of the heavy bags and I was not a fan of the pastiness of trying to scoop up urine in the litterboxes. But I SURE DID LIKE Dr. Elsey's "Kitten Attract Litter" when Miss Violet was young and didn't want to use the litterbox. That's surely helped teach her where to go. After she got the hang of it, I had to stop using it for the reasons I just mentioned.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

Hi @Hairless Blessing, thank you for posting the pictures for me to view.
I am wondering, the yeast, is it the dark dirty looking areas, like on the neck and and paws? Or is it the red spots and all over the body?

It can be both, but, mostly they, have red spots, rash on them.
Can be small areas to start with. Then, can spread over the entire body.
WBCL, is bad for causing a yeast infection.

But, if your babies are doing
good, just watch them carefully, and continue to use it, until, you, think
a infection might be starting on them. Then stop using it.

There is some cats that hasn't had any problems with it. Maybe yours
won't.

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Nicolemorgan that is an excellent question. I have never had any yeast infection issues here, thank goodness and wasn't 100% sure what it looked like either.

I did use World's Best for a very long time and loved the way it clumped. In my opinion, nothing clumps like World's Best, but I just needed a change. I couldn't stand the dust. The upstairs litterbox is in a corner where a window meets a door to a patio and both window and door have horizontal wooden blinds. I'd always see an accumulation of that rusty colored dust. As the litter would break down, I'd see that dust on my nakeds' paws as well.

After trying many, many different types of litter and giving each one a fair chance, I landed up using Clump & Seal Lightweight. The pees don't clump as quickly as the World's Best unless you let it sit in the box for a bit before scooping, then it's ok. It's 100% dust-free and has a pleasant aroma. Most of all, it's lightweight and I can easily carry two boxes at the same time (one in each hand). We buy a lot at a time and keep them in the basement and I can bring them from the basement all the way upstairs without help from anyone. It comes in a box with a convenient and comfortable handle on top.

Some of the other litters I've tried comes in bags which was awkward to carry and lots of them were very heavy for me.

I didn't like Dr. Elsey's for the heaviness and awkwardness of the heavy bags and I was not a fan of the pastiness of trying to scoop up urine in the litterboxes. But I SURE DID LIKE Dr. Elsey's "Kitten Attract Litter" when Miss Violet was young and didn't want to use the litterbox. That's surely helped teach her where to go. After she got the hang of it, I had to stop using it for the reasons I just mentioned.

Thank you so much for your input @GoldHazel! :)
It's true, it does clump nice! I haven't really notice much of an issue with the dust. But then again, we don't really have big "diggers" in the litter. They get in, do there business. Cover it quickly and jump out. Haha.

The bags are heavy for sure. I joked with Nicole last week when we were picking some up, that I wish there was a delivery service where instead of going to buy litter, they just delivered it to your door! :) Would be so much more convenient. But we will deal for now! Haha.
That must be great to be able to carry them easily!

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It can be both, but, mostly they, have red spots, rash on them.
Can be small areas to start with. Then, can spread over the entire body.
WBCL, is bad for causing a yeast infection.

But, if your babies are doing
good, just watch them carefully, and continue to use it, until, you, think
a infection might be starting on them. Then stop using it.

There is some cats that hasn't had any problems with it. Maybe yours
won't.

Yes, I will keep an eye on it for sure @Hairless Blessing! Thanks for your help and input! :)

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

Thank you so much for your input @GoldHazel! :)
It's true, it does clump nice! I haven't really notice much of an issue with the dust. But then again, we don't really have big "diggers" in the litter. They get in, do there business. Cover it quickly and jump out. Haha.

The bags are heavy for sure. I joked with Nicole last week when we were picking some up, that I wish there was a delivery service where instead of going to buy litter, they just delivered it to your door! :) Would be so much more convenient. But we will deal for now! Haha.
That must be great to be able to carry them easily!

@Nicolemorgan you are welcome. :)
There are pet supply places that you can order kitty litter from and get it delivered, I'm sure!

Speaking of "diggers", lol, I was just thinking to myself yesterday how anyone can be two rooms away from a litterbox here and you can hear Liam digging. He is such an energetic digger, so loud, so vigorous...I once thought he was digging for China! The funny thing is with him, he will dig like that in order to make a spot to poop in, but once he poops, he flies out of the litterbox without covering. LOL

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hahaha @GoldHazel, that's too funny! Digging to China!
Our boys will do the same thing, poop and fly out of the litter! And then it's this crazy time run. Usually it's when one or the other is watching around the corner, so they go crazy after. Hahah. I love all their antics!

I'm sure there is a pet supplier up here in Canada. I'll have to do some searching. I know so many people on here mention Chewy, and it looks so great. But then I saw they don't ship up here :(

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hahaha @GoldHazel, that's too funny! Digging to China!
Our boys will do the same thing, poop and fly out of the litter! And then it's this crazy time run. Usually it's when one or the other is watching around the corner, so they go crazy after. Hahah. I love all their antics!

I'm sure there is a pet supplier up here in Canada. I'll have to do some searching. I know so many people on here mention Chewy, and it looks so great. But then I saw they don't ship up here :(

@Nicolemorgan if I'm correct, one time my husband ordered World's Best Litter from Petco.com, but he called them to place the order. He also ordered pet food, etc. They either told him that they can't ship the litter or told him that the shipping for the litter was going to be a crazy amount of money because of weight. So even though he'll order food, etc. from the internet, we always go to the stores to purchase kitty litter.

Nigelthomas

Lairian
Ok fello friends so I have a Question here. I have mentioned before that Nigel seems to get rashes. They kind of look like the pictures posted above. I took him to the vet yesterday for his needles and she said it seemed to her that he had a yeast infection. Gave me a shampoo and said that's a possibility or maybe an allergy to something. Nothing has changed since I brought him home other then this rash coming and going and then coming and staying. He isn't itchy or overly grooming himself so I can't think of what's causing it. I decided I'm gonna change his litter to see if that's it as its on him legs and under belly and where he seems to scratch. Vet said stay away from corn litter and I'm currently using clay (Oder buster) so I bought the blue Buffalo walnut litter. I read about the wheat litter having bugs in it and that freaked me out. I also read on here lots of people aren't a fan of the walnut as it makes our babies look dirty. I just can't for the life of me figure out what's causing nigel to get this rash. Any suggestions ???? Did anyone else have a yeast infection with their baby? How did you get rid of it? How long till improvement was seen? Thanks everyone :)

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Ok fello friends so I have a Question here. I have mentioned before that Nigel seems to get rashes. They kind of look like the pictures posted above. I took him to the vet yesterday for his needles and she said it seemed to her that he had a yeast infection. Gave me a shampoo and said that's a possibility or maybe an allergy to something. Nothing has changed since I brought him home other then this rash coming and going and then coming and staying. He isn't itchy or overly grooming himself so I can't think of what's causing it. I decided I'm gonna change his litter to see if that's it as its on him legs and under belly and where he seems to scratch. Vet said stay away from corn litter and I'm currently using clay (Oder buster) so I bought the blue Buffalo walnut litter. I read about the wheat litter having bugs in it and that freaked me out. I also read on here lots of people aren't a fan of the walnut as it makes our babies look dirty. I just can't for the life of me figure out what's causing nigel to get this rash. Any suggestions ???? Did anyone else have a yeast infection with their baby? How did you get rid of it? How long till improvement was seen? Thanks everyone :)

@Nigelthomas I haven't had any yeast infections here. And yes, I've heard many complaints about the walnut kitty litter making their nakeds brown! That is probably the only litter I have never tried.

I'm wondering if you have carpeting that may be irritating the legs and belly. Or even the laundry detergent you use on sheets, blankets and pet clothing?

Does your naked sweat a lot?

Nigelthomas

Lairian
Lol he's warm lol but sweaty not really .... I don't think. Carpets I have but he doesn't lay on them. If he has a choice he's under the covers in my bed or in his bed. All detergents are the same nothing has changed. I mean maybe I over react as some of the rashes on here I have seen have been raw and red. He's just got little spots. I'll load a pic. I mean if the litter makes his belly red cause of the dust that's the least of my issues. I had a nice read spot from where he slept in my bed last night. But if it helps I'll just have to do laundry more often.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 84

Nigelthomas

Lairian
Lol he's warm lol but sweaty not really .... I don't think. Carpets I have but he doesn't lay on them. If he has a choice he's under the covers in my bed or in his bed. All detergents are the same nothing has changed. I mean maybe I over react as some of the rashes on here I have seen have been raw and red. He's just got little spots. I'll load a pic. I mean if the litter makes his belly red cause of the dust that's the least of my issues. I had a nice read spot from where he slept in my bed last night. But if it helps I'll just have to do laundry more often.
@GoldHazel

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Nigelthomas @Nicolemorgan -- hello, fellow Canadians.

I used to use Dr. Elsey's and feel it's definitely one of the best litters out there. But once I tried Intersand's OdourLock (Canadian, YAY!), I won't use anything else.

INTERSAND® - Odourlock - Unscented

The packaging says you use less litter than other brands, which I thought was impossible... but yes, I use less of this litter than I did any of the others I tried. I have nooooo idea how this works except that less is needed to clump my nakeds' waste. I feed raw, so they pee a LOT, and I think this litter is a miracle.

This litter is very popular in Ontario but not so much outside the province. I'm in BC and where I used to buy it (Tisol), they've stopped carrying it. I contacted Intersand who led me to the West Coast supplier of pet supply places who led me to a nearby pet shop that will bring this in for me (they carry other Intersand products but not OdourLock -- but they're happy to bring it in for me).

Any way, if you can't find Dr. Elsey's contact Intersand directly for who carries OdourLock in your area.

Cheers!

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Nigelthomas @Nicolemorgan -- hello, fellow Canadians.

I used to use Dr. Elsey's and feel it's definitely one of the best litters out there. But once I tried Intersand's OdourLock (Canadian, YAY!), I won't use anything else.

INTERSAND® - Odourlock - Unscented

The packaging says you use less litter than other brands, which I thought was impossible... but yes, I use less of this litter than I did any of the others I tried. I have nooooo idea how this works except that less is needed to clump my nakeds' waste. I feed raw, so they pee a LOT, and I think this litter is a miracle.

This litter is very popular in Ontario but not so much outside the province. I'm in BC and where I used to buy it (Tisol), they've stopped carrying it. I contacted Intersand who led me to the West Coast supplier of pet supply places who led me to a nearby pet shop that will bring this in for me (they carry other Intersand products but not OdourLock -- but they're happy to bring it in for me).

Any way, if you can't find Dr. Elsey's contact Intersand directly for who carries OdourLock in your area.

Cheers!

Thanks for this information @Xandria! :) I will look into this for sure! We are also in Canada (Edmonton), so I could check around and see who has them. I'm doing a bunch of research on various litters right now. Is the Intersand OdourLock a clay litter?

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

Thanks for this information @Xandria! :) I will look into this for sure! We are also in Canada (Edmonton), so I could check around and see who has them. I'm doing a bunch of research on various litters right now. Is the Intersand OdourLock a clay litter?

Yes, it's clay. Very low dust, excellent clumping, and honestly, the science of how less is used boggles my mind, but there it is. Let me know if you have trouble sourcing it. I have the Western Canada's rep information I'd be happy to pass your way. She was amazing!!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

@Nigelthomas he is gorgeous!
When you describe the spot where he slept in your bed last night...it totally sounds like you are describing "sphynx rust"! It's their oils and sweat and whatever else that sticks to them such as the dust of a colored kitty litter. If you bathe him well and rinse a few times, do you still see that red belly?

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Yes, it's clay. Very low dust, excellent clumping, and honestly, the science of how less is used boggles my mind, but there it is. Let me know if you have trouble sourcing it. I have the Western Canada's rep information I'd be happy to pass your way. She was amazing!!

I will let you know for sure! Our boys are both on raw as well, so pee a lot. We do clean the litter boxes every evening. Do you find that is accumulates at the bottom of the litter? Or just it clump pretty quick so it doesn't get to the bottom? Sorry for all the questions :)

Back