Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Does Anyone Feed Bone-in Raw?

TX Greenup

Lairian
I feed a raw diet but twice a week give a treat of whole prey such as mice or baby chicks. Between the organs and bones my girl has always enjoyed her meals and treats. Our vet also said it was the best choice. I found that becoming friends with your local meat market person helps. Monthly shopping trips and a few hours of prep are so worth it for the health of our babies.

stefanie412

Lairian
I used to do prey model raw. For bones, I gave chicken wings, not the drumsticks. The wings are pretty easy for them. I would open the wing and smash the bone a little with the hammer to soften it and let some marrow out, did this when they were first starting.
If you are doing BitR you won't need any supplements, and you can give a chicken wing or neck bone once in awhile for them to gnaw.
If you are doing prey model raw, as long as you have the ratio right, you don't need supplements.
Just remember, too much bone will cause constipation and too much liver will cause diarrhea.
I like the idea of using BitR, with a neck here and there for a chewing snack.
You stated you USED to do prey model raw. I wanted to start doing prey model raw and was wondering why you don't do it anymore, if you don't mind my asking.

PetitePuce

Lairian
I've googled "Better in the Raw" in hopes if finding where I could purchase the supplement, but nothing is popping up. Is there another name for this product and is it something I can buy at the big chain pet stores?

I'm just starting my research about using a raw diet and was looking for an easy way to handle making the food. All the videos I'm finding online involve mixing multiple meats, adding eggs, etc... I don't see myself doing all that initially and was hoping to find a supplement I could just easily mix in with some ground chicken or turkey just to start off with.

Any suggestions on where I can buy such a supplement?

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@PetitePuce

Hello,

Here is their website / store

https://www.knowbetterpetfood.com/products?region=usa - the product you want is Better in the Raw for Cats - raw cat food

Better in the Raw is as easy as it gets :) Powder, cold water & ground meat. Make it in big batches and freeze it, works very well.

Alternatives to Better in the Raw are Alnutrin - the one with Calcium, our cats do not like the taste but you may have more success.

PetitePuce

Lairian
Thanks for the link and for suggesting Alnutrin. I just used the link you provided and ordered my first batch of BITR for Cats. I can not wait to get the stuff. Kojak is killing me with his stinky little turds!! :confused: How could something so cute and adorable stink so much!! :dead:

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@PetitePuce Totally get it, we had the same before we switched. Sphynx sure know how to clear a room ;)

Now there is no smell at all.. it is bliss!

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You stated you USED to do prey model raw. I wanted to start doing prey model raw and was wondering why you don't do it anymore, if you don't mind my asking.
I stopped doing it when I couldn't get my guys to eat their organ meats anymore. They wouldn't touch their liver either. They just wouldn't do it. I tried switching to BITR but they refused that too.
I wish I had started on the BITR to begin with, it's so easy. And they get everything they need.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Now that my own naked is coming, I am still having a quandary regarding ground meat plus better in the raw vs bone in raw plus organ etc,

My understanding is that bones or something firm to chew on is necessary for healthy teeth. Ground meat plus BITR has nothing really chewable.

So I'm wondering if I can do BITR combo for two meals a day and bone in raw plus organ once per day. Am I being a bit too crazy, or could this work?

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yes and yes :D

I think the thing about bones and teeth is that the raw bones help, but the ONLY way to keep teeth clean and ensure against disease is to brush daily and when necessary get a professional cleaning.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Absolutely, I agree about the daily brushing. I read somewhere that really hearty chewing is important for jaw muscles too, and overall health.

Thanks for responding!!