Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Help!

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I am completely new to the use of forums so please forgive me if this has been asked or is completely in the wrong place! I'm at a loss! D:

I have recently become a proud mum of a beautiful sphynx! However upon my mass research sessions I've stumbled across the mentioning of the raw diet, and I want only the best for little Lucifer! Though I'm finding it so hard to find recipes for said diet and the best way to introduce it to him, also is dry food a no go when on this diet? I'm not sure if this has made any sense or is the correct place to be posting but please if anyone can help in anyway I'll be forever great full!!!

susi794

Staff member
There are many good recipes online for a raw diet, but they are all pretty labor intensive. You need to make sure you get the right ratio of organ meat, muscle meat and bone, plus all the vitamin and minerals needed. An unbalanced raw diet can be harmful for your baby. You can buy commercially made stuff like Nature's Variety or you can buy mixes where you just add the fresh meat. I think lots of the Lairians use a product called Better In The Raw. And your other question about dry and raw. The true raw people say no, others still feed dry...but they digest at a different rate and can cause digestive upset if fed together. If you still feed dry, don't free feed it...and feed it as far apart from the raw as possible. I am sure others will chime in too.
Hugs,
Susi and the gang

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Totally agree with Susi :)

I would avoid the dry when on raw.. it's just not needed. Naturally, cats don't free feed and it won't do him any harm to wait between raw meals.

We use Better in the Raw mixed with cubed beef, I make a big batch at once and put it in tupperwares and freeze what I won't use within 3 days.

I then rotate them out of the freezer so we always have one to use and usually one defrosting.

Some cats do not take to raw straight away, so you might need to crush some kibble on top or forti flora if you have any. Just to get them interested :)

Here is an article describing the process to make it and it has a link to the website you can buy it from at the bottom: http://therawexplorer.com/2013/06/06/better-in-the-raw-a-complete-raw-food-diet-supplement-for-cats/

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thank you so much I really appreciate it :) hopefully I'll get the hang of it all soon!
There are many good recipes online for a raw diet, but they are all pretty labor intensive. You need to make sure you get the right ratio of organ meat, muscle meat and bone, plus all the vitamin and minerals needed. An unbalanced raw diet can be harmful for your baby. You can buy commercially made stuff like Nature's Variety or you can buy mixes where you just add the fresh meat. I think lots of the Lairians use a product called Better In The Raw. And your other question about dry and raw. The true raw people say no, others still feed dry...but they digest at a different rate and can cause digestive upset if fed together. If you still feed dry, don't free feed it...and feed it as far apart from the raw as possible. I am sure others will chime in too.
Hugs,
Susi and the gang[/QUOTE
Hugs,
Susi and the gang

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

I would avoid the dry when on raw.. it's just not needed. Naturally, cats don't free feed and it won't do him any harm to wait between raw meals.

We use Better in the Raw mixed with cubed beef, I make a big batch at once and put it in tupperwares and freeze what I won't use within 3 days.

I then rotate them out of the freezer so we always have one to use and usually one defrosting.

Some cats do not take to raw straight away, so you might need to crush some kibble on top or forti flora if you have any. Just to get them interested :)

Here is an article describing the process to make it and it has a link to the website you can buy it from at the bottom: http://therawexplorer.com/2013/06/06/better-in-the-raw-a-complete-raw-food-diet-supplement-for-cats/
[/QUOTE

ah I see! This link is a great help! Thank you :) it doesn't se as scary now haha

assibassi

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi and welcome !
I feed Better in the Raw and I do not feed any kibble. They do get freeze dried treats or Zeeb treats. I did not start my Raw diet with them until the baby was at least 9 months old.

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi and welcome !
I feed Better in the Raw and I do not feed any kibble. They do get freeze dried treats or Zeeb treats. I did not start my Raw diet with them until the baby was at least 9 months old.
Thank you! I was wondering what age was best to start :)

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I just switched my boy over to raw recently. I was like you, terrified to do it :) However, with some extremely helpful advice from the Lairians on here, I made the change. I am using Better in the Raw, mixed with ground chicken (no kibble anymore). It is very easy to prepare. I freeze single portion sizes in muffin pans that I can then pop out and put in a freezer bag to use as needed. I feed 2x a day (about 1/4 cup each time, with a decent snack (organ meats, sardines etc) in between. I was very lucky in that Jack took to it right away, and the difference in the little box in unbelievable! Wish I would have done it sooner. I am bringing home my newest furless baby in 2 weeks :) I plan to introduce her to the raw diet right away.
Good luck! You have certainly come to the right place for advice.

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I just switched my boy over to raw recently. I was like you, terrified to do it :) However, with some extremely helpful advice from the Lairians on here, I made the change. I am using Better in the Raw, mixed with ground chicken (no kibble anymore). It is very easy to prepare. I freeze single portion sizes in muffin pans that I can then pop out and put in a freezer bag to use as needed. I feed 2x a day (about 1/4 cup each time, with a decent snack (organ meats, sardines etc) in between. I was very lucky in that Jack took to it right away, and the difference in the little box in unbelievable! Wish I would have done it sooner. I am bringing home my newest furless baby in 2 weeks :) I plan to introduce her to the raw diet right away.
Good luck! You have certainly come to the right place for advice.
Aw I can't wait to change! Get his tummy feeling all good :) no more poo paw prints haha

Back