Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Is sunblock or sunscreen safe for my sphynx cat?

MeadowThorne

Lairian
Not sure if your still looking there IS Cat SUNBLOCK I bought one off eBay n one off amazon. My friend uses a baby SUNBLOCK with no zinc in it also . Living where I do he needs it sometimes it when he's traveling n we don't know how much sun he could get.

RedRobot

Lairian
Hi all--I think I have found TWO sunscreens that are safe for cats. Neither of them claims to be safe for cats, but they contain no zinc, salicylates, PABA, or any other ingredient that is known to be toxic to cats.

Dermoscent Sunfree (SPF 30+)- Aqua, Titanium dioxide, Alumina (used to treat feline kidney disease, but safe in very small amounts--don't let them eat the tube), Stearic acid (non-toxic), Sorbitan oleate (not Sorbitol, non-toxic), Caprylic/capric triglyceride (from coconuts, non-toxic), Glycerin (common in treats, non-toxic), Euphorbia cerifera wax (common in pet balms, non-toxic), Magnesium stearate (an ingredient in pet calming supplements, non-toxic), Tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E, non-toxic).

Dr. Zoo Natural Zinc-free Sunscreen (SPF 15)- Purified Water, Titanium Dioxide, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Coco-Caprylate (coconut based cleanser) Triglyceride (Fractionated Coconut oil) Glyceryl Stearate, Cetearyl Alcohol (Plant Emulsifier), Piroctone Olamine, Naringin (Bittering Agent from Orange Peel, non-toxic), Dicaprylyl Carbonate (Emollient Ingredient, also from coconuts), Aluminium Stearate (Emulsifier), Hop Extract

I was concerned about the Hop Extract, because Hops are sometimes toxic to cats, but they are always toxic to dogs so this is clearly something else.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@RedRobot , many do not recommend sunscreens, can clog pores etc. I personally have never used with my crew.
we have several members that take their babies out on harnesses , strollers etc that surely will chime in.
@Catzzzmeow, @Sheldon13

@RedRobot , sharing an early post by @Sheldon13 " I have not found a single cat-safe sunscreen to date. My suggestion is to put in a long sleeve lightweight shirt to cover the body, with a high neck, and a hat if you can get one. Top of the head is where I noticed Ellie burned quickest."

RedRobot

Lairian
@RedRobot , many do not recommend sunscreens, can clog pores etc. I personally have never used with my crew.
we have several members that take their babies out on harnesses , strollers etc that surely will chime in.
@Catzzzmeow, @Sheldon13

@RedRobot , sharing an early post by @Sheldon13 " I have not found a single cat-safe sunscreen to date. My suggestion is to put in a long sleeve lightweight shirt to cover the body, with a high neck, and a hat if you can get one. Top of the head is where I noticed Ellie burned quickest."
@Yoda mom, thanks for chiming in. I appreciate the reality check. I guess I'm mostly concerned about the head and ears, since I haven't seen hats that cover the ears. Myself, I'm a very consistent sunscreen user, so perhaps I'm just projecting my own worries onto her. It makes sense to me that sunscreens would be pore-clogging, since if I don't wash off my own sunscreen every night, I have problems, too; I'm hardly going to subject her to nightly baths.

It's not the going outside that is my major issue--it is the sitting in sunlight inside, since window glass doesn't block UVA. I suspect the best way to reassure myself is to look into those window films.

RedRobot

Lairian
No, its not. You can get one specific to Sphynx cats from "Renewed Pet" products
Do you mean the 4-all Pets Sunscreen? Thank you for the suggestion, but I don't think I'd trust it. I don't know if you saw the ingredient list, but it doesn't have any sunscreen, just a bunch of oils. There is little evidence that any of those oils have sun-protective effects. There was a single study done in 2009, in a petri dish, using spectrographic analysis of "hydroalcoholic solutions" made from various oils, which according to chemists doesn't have any relationship to what sort of SPF you might get in a cream.

angela1974

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Do you mean the 4-all Pets Sunscreen? Thank you for the suggestion, but I don't think I'd trust it. I don't know if you saw the ingredient list, but it doesn't have any sunscreen, just a bunch of oils. There is little evidence that any of those oils have sun-protective effects. There was a single study done in 2009, in a petri dish, using spectrographic analysis of "hydroalcoholic solutions" made from various oils, which according to chemists doesn't have any relationship to what sort of SPF you might get in a cream.
Great! Thank you for letting me know

whatsupRT02

Lairian
I have read that some of you put sun block on your kitties, is this okay?
I haven’t gotten my kitty yet but I did order something from ReNewedPet on Etsy that is hairless cat sunscreen. They have a website too along with instructional videos and many reviews on the product. Worth taking a look at. It’s what I’ll be using on walks and what not along with a sim shirt

Yourbroboris

Lairian
I have been using Dr. ZOO sunscreen on my cat for over 5 years. He started getting moles from the sun in his catio. This is a totally lickable sunscreen
No zinc. I think its from Australia.

Attachments

• 20220218_162305.mp4
    2.2 MB

CathyO

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I didn’t know there are these sort of cat sunscreens. I would still email these two brands to my vet and see what they say.

My concern about suncreens is cats will lick them as soon as u apply it to
them, making the point of a sunscreen ineffective. There are lightweight baseball cap looking hats specifically for cats but I’d only use them if my cat isn’t stressed out about it. Cat stress shortens their life and that’s riskier I think than the statistics around pets getting skin cancer.

For myself and our indoor cats, we just have sunblock window privacy films.

Another thing that I learned was if u go to NASA’s website there is a way to plug in your location and you’ll find the best times for u to take your pet out when the sun’s rays aren’t the bad ones.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Agreed, shirts are really best. But putting something in the head and ears is definitely useful, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

VDon Klein

Lairian
You mean coconut oil, because that’s what my breeder told me to use

Attachments

• IMG_1110.jpeg
    IMG_1110.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 8

VDon Klein

Lairian
Coconut oil only blocks about 20% of the sun’s rays. It also can clog pores causing other issues…so use very sparingly. I only use it to get gunk off their noses. :)
I usally keep kitty in indirect light cause the little guy would over heat. I will have try it on the nose. have you used part of cotton balls baby oil to help clean the outer ear? I find it works good to get the worst of the wax out of there.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I usally keep kitty in indirect light cause the little guy would over heat. I will have try it on the nose. have you used part of cotton balls baby oil to help clean the outer ear? I find it works good to get the worst of the wax out of there.

I am always afraid of using any oils on them. I have had good luck using baby wipes on the outer ears.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back