Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Is your Sphynx leaving behind small urine stains?

gollumthesphynx

Lairian
Hi Sphynx lovers!

Hope all of you have been well at home with your babies.

My sphynx cat, Gollum is 1.5 y/o and has been leaving these small little urine/pee spots on my sheets. He's been doing this he was a baby. I didn't think this was a big deal, however, when I asked some of my other Sphynx friends, they said that the only stains the leave behind are skin oil stains.

Since then, I've been worried and concerned.

Does anyone else's Sphynx leave behind small urine/pee spots?

Sheldon13

Staff member
I’ve not heard of that happening unless the kitty is not neutered or they have a UTI or kidney issues. Have you talked to your vet?

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

gollumthesphynx

Lairian
Hi Sheldon!

Gollum is neutered.

I've scheduled an appointment with the Vet today.

Ah, this is worrisome then.

I figured if it was a UTI or kidney issues, there may be additional symptoms, or it would've progressed by now.

I’ve not heard of that happening unless the kitty is not neutered or they have a UTI or kidney issues. Have you talked to your vet?

Sheldon13

Staff member
Yeah it’s a little concerning. He could just have bladder sphincter control issues but it’s better to take him in and get it checked out.

Are you sure they are urine stains? Have you seen him do this?

gollumthesphynx

Lairian
Yeah it’s a little concerning. He could just have bladder sphincter control issues but it’s better to take him in and get it checked out.

Are you sure they are urine stains? Have you seen him do this?

Yes. Definitely agree with you.

I'm pretty sure they are, they're circular stains that always appear after he gets up from my bed. Always from his crotch area too. The stains are around 1-2 inches in diameter and never seep through the sheet to my mattress. It's quite odd.

I wish I had raised this concern earlier. I'd feel awful if he's been in pain or if I didn't catch an ailment on time cause of this. I noticed it since he was young and never thought it was a big deal. I always knew that cats and other domestic pets leave behind stains here and there... but sadly, it took another sphynx owner to tell me that it's not normal. :(

Sheldon13

Staff member
I doubt he’s in pain from it. He probably doesn’t even realize it’s happening.

gollumthesphynx

Lairian
Thank you

Just finished at the Vet and he said that he’s difficult to determine the cause - we did a urine analysis, which indicated that there’s a bit more protein in his urine, so we also did a protein test to determine the state of his kidneys.

All in all, he suggested providing more water sources, a wet food diet (which is too bad cause i was planning to transition him to raw) and to take the lid off his litter box. And a follow up in a month.

I wish he was able to provide me with a clearer answer.

What are your guys’ thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn’t freak...if it has been a normal spot size and not increasing, just draw the line on what the norm is. Always great to get as much water in them as possible...sounds like your vet is being thorough.

gollumthesphynx

Lairian
I wouldn’t freak...if it has been a normal spot size and not increasing, just draw the line on what the norm is. Always great to get as much water in them as possible...sounds like your vet is being thorough.
Yes, definitely. Thank you for your thoughts.

I'll definitely keep this post updated. I should receive the results from the urine/protein test in the next week or so.

Let's cross our fingers that it isn't a kidney issue! :(

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Good to hear the vet gave you great advice about water, food and litter box. Fingers crossed for the urine test. Thanks for the update

Sheldon13

Staff member
I have great news for you. Raw can still be considered a “wet food diet”

All you do is add a half cup of water per pound of grind. Feel free to continue with your plans for raw.

gollumthesphynx

Lairian
[mention]Sheldon13 [/mention], that’s great news! thank you!!

i was reading the ingredients on the Royal Canine “Urinary SO” can the vet prescribed me, and i can’t say i was a huge fan of all the by-products that were in there.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Even the best cans have things I can’t pronounce without effort. Raw is much preferred by me personally.

Not for everyone, but if you can do raw I think you should.

gollumthesphynx

Lairian
Even the best cans have things I can’t pronounce without effort. Raw is much preferred by me personally.

Not for everyone, but if you can do raw I think you should.

Yeah, I definitely am more keen on feeding him raw. I was thinking to add a little bit of either bone or chicken broth to give it a boost of hydration/water.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@gollumthesphynx great news the test came back negative.
to encourage water, I found my 4 drink more water when the water bowls are a few feet away from their food dishes.

I use large covered litter boxes and always pop out, remove the door flaps some come with

as for ingredients of the royal canine SO, I will share for 8 years I feed my crew proplan urinary focus chicken wet food (non rx) at night (for some reason they gobble it up over night while they are prowling around lol) , not crazy about the ingredients, but it works. none of them ever a urinary issue since.

hugs n head smooches, keep us updated.

gollumthesphynx

Lairian
@gollumthesphynx great news the test came back negative.
to encourage water, I found my 4 drink more water when the water bowls are a few feet away from their food dishes.

I use large covered litter boxes and always pop out, remove the door flaps some come with

as for ingredients of the royal canine SO, I will share for 8 years I feed my crew proplan urinary focus chicken wet food (non rx) at night (for some reason they gobble it up over night while they are prowling around lol) , not crazy about the ingredients, but it works. none of them ever a urinary issue since.

hugs n head smooches, keep us updated.

Wow! Thank you [mention]Yoda mom [/mention]!
I’ll definitely try and move his food bowl further away.

I’ve placed more water bowls and fountains throughout my apartment too!

Thanks for your support and advice

gollumthesphynx

Lairian
I'm using a waterfountain and my two love this. It's set so that during the day it bubbles a bit higher and during night low. They drink a lot and just like watching it. :)

i just bought another fountain to have around the house for him. i feel like the bowls of water are less effective :p

thanks [mention]Saskiasaurus [/mention]

Back