Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

MAJOR Panic just now!!!:( need advice

Weedieworm15

Lairian
OMG!!!! ok 30 min ago..i came home...well, usually i open the door and capone is sitting on the ledge of the sofa and waiting for me or my boyfriend to play..and he gets all excited..but tonight!!!! for some reason..i open the front door well it wasnt even a whole 12 inches at this point and wham!!! capone halls ass toward the street!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i live on a hwy and i saw at least four cars comming...HE HAS NEVER in 7 months even came close to the door!!! well needless to say..I started streaming and crying at the top of my lungs running after him..Tonights dinner which was for a dinner party went flying in the mud and i flew on the ground to catch him..i missed he ran under a parked ..i crawlled under to get him...needless to say i got stuck but i least i caught him....NOW my question..i never want to ever feel that way again:Cry::Sweat::Cry::Sweat::Cry::Sweat:I need to know from you guys...its either a shock collar so he will stay far far away from the door or lock him up in the bathroom till i get home because..i am still in shock and scared..:Hysterical:

Cathie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Not sure if this would work or not, but what about tossing a can with pennies in the door before you do to scare him back? I wouldnt let him see you toss it. Or you could shoot a water pistol at him to keep him back.
Its the first thing I thought of, so again, not sure if it would work or not.

Glad you got your baby back unharmed. Ive had many nights looking for a cat that got out. (Not my curent cats) Knowing I had to find him as my outside dog would Kill stray cats. He never tried to catch Merlin, but would keep him close to the house. I think Krip knew that Merlin was a "good cat"

KitCatty

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Shock collars are cruel and unnecessary, especially on a cat. And I'm not sure your bathroom will survive a cat being locked up all day :LOL: I like the penny idea, or maybe a buzzer of some sort. Use something that will distract him from the door but not cause him harm. I am sure you will get more ideas. Let us know what you try:Laugh:

Joanne

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
OMG, I would have freaked out too. Bella does get out every so often when I open the door to let the dog out. It is a little different when u r trying to get into the house. I would just open the door slowly keeping in mind the cat might bolt. If you keep that in mind I think it will work out ok. Locking in the bathroom all day seems cruel.

Boonecat

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
OMG, my heart is racing after reading this! Sooo glad Capone is safe. The penny or water gun ideas are both good. I'd just try to get in the habit of slowly cracking the door open instead of opening it all the way. Thats what I do, but I'm on a 2nd floor apartment.

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm so glad we have a closed off hallway! I saw on My Cat From Hell once that Jackson Galaxy gave the advice to keep a laser pointer with you when you leave the house so you can distract the cat when you open the door.
Does Capone go outside with you on a leash? If not he may be scared of the outside already now that he saw you panic... And were your guests already there? If so he may just have been freaked by all the people in the house.
I would not lock him in the bathroom or put a shockcollar on him as that is cruel and may have a bad affect on your relationship with Capone!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Can of air u clean keyboards with is awesome. I just make sure to never be close and shoot the air so it hits anyone. The sound scares them and no water marks on the floor or furniture like with a water gun. If you spray it every time you go out he will hate it and stay away. Our Bengal is so bad...some nights he just will not let us sleep. All I have to do is each for the can and he amazingly gets quiet and jumps up in bed and cuddles. I haven't had to actually spray it Ina long time...just the sight of it and he gets it.

NiceGirlsFakeIt

Lairian
What if you put a baby gate in the actual door frame? That way at least if he bolts towards the door, he'll hit the gate and won't be able to get out. it may be annoying to have to step over, but it's 100% better than a shock collar!

admin

Administrator
Staff member

Attachments

• pPETS-3761641t400.jpg
    pPETS-3761641t400.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 38

wright878

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Oh you poor thing, how horrible! That is our biggest worry that Abby will get out and get hurt. I may have to look into that Scat Cat thing, myself!

Weedieworm15

Lairian
Can of air u clean keyboards with is awesome. I just make sure to never be close and shoot the air so it hits anyone. The sound scares them and no water marks on the floor or furniture like with a water gun. If you spray it every time you go out he will hate it and stay away. Our Bengal is so bad...some nights he just will not let us sleep. All I have to do is each for the can and he amazingly gets quiet and jumps up in bed and cuddles. I haven't had to actually spray it Ina long time...just the sight of it and he gets it.

I am going to get a can of air!!!! sounds like a great idea...when i come home now..the min i open the door..I start barking like a dog or scream high pitch voice:LOL: hes sits there and looks at me like...WHat is wrong with you women...lol..every time i do it...his little head tilts sideways..like he is saying..MOMMY are you ok...:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Weedieworm15

Lairian
What if you put a baby gate in the actual door frame? That way at least if he bolts towards the door, he'll hit the gate and won't be able to get out. it may be annoying to have to step over, but it's 100% better than a shock collar!

he can jump over it...i tried that:Woo: that was one of my first ideas i tried putting it up in the hall...he is a lil monkey:LOL:

Weedieworm15

Lairian
Oh you poor thing, how horrible! That is our biggest worry that Abby will get out and get hurt. I may have to look into that Scat Cat thing, myself!

ITS a terrible feeling..i was sick to my stomach for a few hours after...now i completely act like a mad women when i come home so he says away from the door...lololololol:LOL:

Fluffy

Lairian
this would b my worst nightmare!!!! we no longer use the front door only the back which then we have to go throu another 3 closed doors before we get to the main part of the house. I would have to fit a avairy type screen if i had to use just one door. so glad hes ok :Woo:

Weedieworm15

Lairian
this would b my worst nightmare!!!! we no longer use the front door only the back which then we have to go throu another 3 closed doors before we get to the main part of the house. I would have to fit a avairy type screen if i had to use just one door. so glad hes ok :Woo:

you are soo lucky..i can only use that door:( i am just way way more cautious of him now...

Back