Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Okay, so I'm about to ask some newbie kitty litter questions that may be borderline dumb.
(It's okay, I'm a firm believer that there ARE such thing as dumb questions. :p)

When it comes to cat litter, what is the standard protocol for usage and maintenance?
  1. Do you just scoop and scoop until the day the box is looking low, then top it off?
  2. Are you supposed to do a full dump and start completely fresh from time to time? If so, how often?
  3. When changing litter brands or types, do you taper off the ratio of old/new litter in gradual proportions? Or, do you just, cold-turkey, do a complete switch whenever you want.
  4. If I would like to move/eliminate a litter box, how would I accomplish this? I would like to move the upstair's extra litter-box to the downstairs laundry room, and move the main, master bedroom box into our master walk-in closet (also downstairs).
Background info:
- Kenzo is 8 months/10 lbs (Relevant? I don't know, lol.)
- Using Dr. Elsey's Kitten Attract
- Scoop minimum 2 times daily
- Zero litter box problems, to date.

Kenzo is my first ever cat, so the whole litter box thing is relatively new to us. Some things seem common sense, but I want to know the proper way to maintain his litter box. Robot coming soon...

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I don't know if I've just been lucky but I've never had problems with the litter box. It's not that I was perfect but these guys are just wired to use the box and to forgive us when we don't keep it perfectly tidy. For the record I'm much better now than when I got my first cat (or at least I think I am).

1. Don't let it get shallower than 2 inches so that the pee is "suspended" in the litter and you can scoop it out completely.
2. I have 2 litter boxes and I clean both of them thoroughly every few weeks but I don't throw out the remaining clean litter. I pour the litter into a bag so I can clean the box and then pour it back in.
3. You can go 25/75 then 50/50 then 75/25 over the course of a couple of weeks.
4. You should keep at least one on every floor. Move one at a time and make sure it's being used, then move the next one.

I've seen litter boxes in laundry rooms before, but just be sure that your cat doesn't get scared by noise from the washer and dryer.

This is just an idea, I used to keep the litter boxes in a spare bathtub. That tub had a shower curtain and I kept it closed to boot. The cats knew the boxes were back there and they could poke through near the edges. Like I said, cats are awesome. But you knew that already lol.

Last edited:

TatyanaMassey

Lairian
What I like to do is check the litter box twice a day, and scoop either or both times if it needs it. Whenever it starts looking too low instead of just "topping off" thats when I just dump whats left and refill completely clean. Which is about once a week, and I also like to start clean if it starts getting really smelly or gross before then, just kinda depends on how much pottying has been done! haha
My absolute favorite litter right now is the Arm & Hammer lightweight clumping 100percent dush free. Its not dusty and leaves no residue on my baby and also doesnt have any weird smell.
As far as getting used to a new box placement, Im sure every cat is different but I wouldn't fret too much about it. My cats had never seen or used a litter box cabinet and when I started using one they had no trouble and it was in a completely different room. Maybe block off the rooms to him where the boxes were until he gets used to using the new placements, just make sure you direct him to them so he knows, and I've heard its also helpful to leave a bit of poo in the box when you move it to let him know thats where he should do his business.
I guess thats it! You both will get your own system in no time :)

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
They we way do it with Orpheus is I scoop both his boxes before bed everyday and then do a proper clean out every 1-1.5 weeks depending on his usage. I will also top up the litter if it is looking low as I know he prefers a bit to dig in. I haven't had any litter box problems with doing it that way nor have I had any smell problems and we have 2 boxes in a 2 bed apartment.
We do use the breeders choice recycled paper litter and that has worked super well and isn't super dusty or gross, that is what our breeder uses.

We did do a little box move from our ensuite to the laundry when we had settled in and got a bit older. I moved the box popped him in it a couple times and have had no problem with him finding it or using it.

Hope that helps answer some questions :)

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Anansi @TatyanaMassey @Condo commando

Thank you all! That answered my silly questions. I guess we were doing pretty good, although, I will admit, I’ve only done ONE complete wipe down and litter change since we’ve had Kenzo (5 months). :oops::X3: His boxes literally have never smelled! That’s why I was unsure if I was supposed to wait until they got funky, or if I should just do a full dump once a month or whatever. I appreciate the help and friendly advice!

TatyanaMassey

Lairian
@Anansi @TatyanaMassey @Condo commando

Thank you all! That answered my silly questions. I guess we were doing pretty good, although, I will admit, I’ve only done ONE complete wipe down and litter change since we’ve had Kenzo (5 months). :oops::X3:His boxes literally have never smelled! That’s why I was unsure if I was supposed to wait until they got funky, or if I should just do a full dump once a month or whatever. I appreciate the help and friendly advice!
Honestly with him having 2 boxes, Id say complete cleanings (completely redoing litter that is) once a month or two probably isnt so bad. I have one kitten now and just the one box, and previously only one box per cat, so thats probably why mine needs it more frequently!

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Can we take a little poll because this is interesting - when you do a complete cleaning do you:

A. Throw away all the litter, clean the box, and refill the box with brand new litter

or

B. Throw away the "deposits" but keep the unused litter in some holding receptacle, clean the box, and put the leftover litter back in the box.

Please vote!

I do B because the litter doesn't smell, only the box smelled.

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've had to do quite the complete litter changes recently with Finn and the Giardia. I wouldn't be too worried about moving the box, as long as you bring Kenzo to the new location so he knows where his business boxes have gone too :)

Just Wednesday night I had to disinfected all my boxes (dump, soap and water, bleach, then I scrub with more soap and water just to be safe). I had the litter boxes up for maybe an hour to an hour and a half MAX, and the second I put them down on the floor (mind you not even where they usually go) Finn jumped right in and went pee. IT WAS EMPTY!!! No litter or anything :ROFLMAO: I quickly poured some on top, glad I did as he turned around and went poop right after!

My regular maintenance, I aim to try and dump and start fresh about every month or two. Mainly when I start finding little pieces that my scoop can't pick up, that's when I dump, clean and refill with fresh litter.

In regards to the brands, when I brought both my boys, I just cold turkey switched them to my preferred brand. No issues with either of them!

Shmeeps

Lairian
litter box.jpgI use a plastic storage bin without the lid for my litter boxes. They are about $5 and have very high sides. Meeps is tall and always peed very high and over all the small litter pans even the enclosed ones. I scoop twice a day and add litter when low. Once a month I dump all the old litter and bleach the bin. I replace the bin once a year. My new guy Buck, has no problem jumping over that side even though I cut out a u shape in the front of his. Here's too much information......... Meeps likes to stand and hold onto the side while pooping. :p

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I do a mix of both A and B so I'll clean and if there is enough large unsused litter pieces I'll use them and add fresh but if like others have said it's all just hard to scoop stuff and a bit dusty I'll just start completely fresh :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Monica
@Condo commando , I do "A"

I got large boxes for my boys since they are tall kitties full grown .

I use dr elseys unscented or the close dupe I found which is fresh for life pet odor destroyer in a 40 lb bag and cheaper than dr eleseys with petsupermarket card ,often sales and coupons .

I use the good pet stuff litter box that looks like a planter .I can turn the opening to face the wall . I do not use the moss It comes with , just the insert palm like fern .
Good Pet Stuff Hidden Cat Litter Planter

The other boxes are catit jumbo boxes I got at chewy . Really like them too -
the lid flips back for easy scooping . I always remove the door flap on covered boxes
Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Pan

I scoop 3xs a day lol with a metal scooperhttps://www.chewy.com/duranimals-durascoop-original-cat/dp/47317
now bcz got tired of breaking plastic scoopers
each time I scoop , I freshen up with a little fresh litter sprinkled on top.
Of course they go right in after lol

I dump the boxes completely every week and wash them.

I do not use litter box plastic liners .
I wash the boxes with Dawn antibacterial Soap and a spritz of odor ban .
Dry with paper towels , refill with several inches of litter.

Agree with not allowing the litter get low
so that's why I top off with fresh litter after each scooping .

As a side note - I got a stainless steel foot flip top garbage pail with plastic insert thst I empty the 40 lb bags of litter in along with a scoop amd store it in the garage .

For scooping - I use a small bathroom trash can and use black plastic t shirt bags in it for scooping and disposal .
I get the 1000 count black tshirt bags for $14 at samsclub .
Lol they double as dog poop bags on walks.

Last edited:

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Bailey21 @Anansi @TatyanaMassey I love reading everyone’s little routines and tips! I think I will do a medley of all, lol. I’ll be like the Goldilocks of litter boxes, trying each method until one fits us just right! I like the practice of scooping + topping off, until those little unscoopable, crumbly clumps start forming. Then, we will do a full dump, clean and change fresh!

@Condo commando There’s no shame in your litter game! If it works, and it’s tidy, I say keep at it!

@Yoda mom The heavy-duty stainless steel scooper was one of the top 3 product recommendations I got from you!! I’ve been using diaper disposal bags when scooping, as I was gifted a bulk box of them when my daughter was born, so I had them on hand. I will have to look into the black T-shirt bags you mentioned once these run out. We’ve also used doggie-dooty bags before!

@Shmeeps Meeps has a cute and odd bathroom habit! :p Kenzo has a strange one also... Before he does his business, he will parade around the house, loudly announcing that he must use the restroom “Mmerrroww! Mmerroww! Mmerrrowww!”.. then, once he finishes, he will hop out and do one more, brief announcement, “mmmerrooh,” jump onto whoever is closest to him for a head bump, and then prance off.:unsure::cool: He does this EVERY time, since Gotcha Day,as if he’s seeking praise for using the box... he is a king after all!

meandmytwo

Lairian
I’m with you @Condo commando.

There was a time I had to dump out all the litter and start fresh when battling diarrhea and bacteria, did it daily for a spell. Then weekly like clock work, yada yada.

Then I saw a video of a vet, I can’t remember her name nor find the video again just now, but she said with healthy kitties and in keeping the litter box properly scooped (getting all the little bits) that it’s really not necessary to dump all the litter at all. This is with clumping litter anyway. Other types I can’t speak for.

Once my kitties were well it started to feel like such a waste throwing away litter that honestly looked like it was just poured in. Not just waste of funds but time and effort. My boys (and I) like it deep so I keep it deep and top up regularily. I allow it to get too low on occasion to assess if it can be transferred to a clean box to start fresh or dump completely to start fresh. We rotate a few boxes, wash, air dry, they’re in line for the next time.

We have been using Intersand OdourLock. No dust, clumps well. (Not quite as well as Dr. Elseys but we like this more for other reasons). I have never had an odor problem, no mater what litter we’ve used. The only time I smell anything is when there’s a fresh poo. I scoop it, gone.

Last edited:
Back