Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Should I spay or neuter my sphynx cat?

azolivas

Lairian
@azolivas , hugs n head smooches to baby Luna! how is she doing?
She is doing fine! All healed up and never had to wear the cone. Thank you again for all the kind words and support!

Attachments

• C49B0B63-E8DB-427D-A26D-8659ECFD660E.jpeg
    C49B0B63-E8DB-427D-A26D-8659ECFD660E.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 37

azolivas

Lairian
@azolivas , hugs n head smooches to baby Luna! how is she doing?
Luna is 100% recovered! It's as if she never had surgery! I was worried that this procedure would alter her personality but I was wrong. She is as crazy and playful as ever! I am extremely grateful to this community for helping me get through this! You are awesome!!!!

Attachments

• luna.gif
    luna.gif
    116.6 KB · Views: 37

Yoda mom

Staff member
@azolivas ,wonderful adorable Luna update! she sounds like a hoot of fun! look forward to pics and tales! hugs n head smooches. all paws are family

bangarain

Lairian
Hello! I’m in the early stages of researching sphynx cats, and am really excited to have found this site - it looks like a great resource. Somewhat recently, it’s been found that delaying spaying and neutering until maturity may be beneficial in dogs - is this true in cats as well? Or is it best for them to be spayed/neutered as soon as they are able? Thank you!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Hello! I’m in the early stages of researching sphynx cats, and am really excited to have found this site - it looks like a great resource. Somewhat recently, it’s been found that delaying spaying and neutering until maturity may be beneficial in dogs - is this true in cats as well? Or is it best for them to be spayed/neutered as soon as they are able? Thank you!

There has not been any changes in spaying/neutering cats like there has been in dogs (especially larger dog breeds.) Here is some info you might find interesting if you haven’t already seen it. Should I spay or neuter my sphynx cat?

sophiewilde

Lairian
amazing thank you!
ive just had her micro chip changed
once shes boosted with vaccinations
ill book her in to be spayed

will it change her personality loads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoda mom

Staff member

personally, I did no see personality changes after a spay.

I did learn that intact females can also "spray" mark like males if not spayed.

kudos for updating her microchip. I always call the company to confirm and will tag you in a thread about microchip look up. from what I learned many international chips start with a 900 number. I checked a friends pups with an international chip and it showed what company. I always call the chip company direct to confirm they have my current name, address, and contact numbers.

hugs n head smooches, keep us updated

Yoda mom

Staff member
@sophiewilde happy hugs n head smooches! glad all went well with spay surgery and recovery was quick! keep us updated often with the katkin food.

look forward to pics and tales

PoisonHeart

Lairian
Thank you all so much for this thread. Yesterday I made an appointment for my boy Stitch to get his booster shots and to arrange for his neuter. I’m so thankful to know to make sure my vet won’t sedate him with ketamine. I never would have thought to ask about what kind of sedative they use without this thread.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you all so much for this thread. Yesterday I made an appointment for my boy Stitch to get his booster shots and to arrange for his neuter. I’m so thankful to know to make sure my vet won’t sedate him with ketamine. I never would have thought to ask about what kind of sedative they use without this thread.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

So glad you have found the information in this community helpful. We learn from one another constantly. Let us know when the neuter date is …we know it us always stressful and will be here for you.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@PoisonHeart , great job mum confirming with vet No ketamine for Stitch's neuter. keep us updated on the date. my boy bounced back quickly from neuter, its a relatively quick procedure to neuter males. mine did not need a cone , kept him in my bedroom overnight , he did great.all paws crossed for Stitch's neuter. fyi I also have vet take a good listen to heart before neuter perhaps during his booster shots. fyi check contract, some breeders will void contract if certain vaccines given like Felv .

hugs n head smooches to Stitch and Tibby

AngieCats

Lairian
Reasons for spaying/neutering
  • Greatly reduces behavioral problems like spraying in both male and female cats.
  • Cats that are altered live longer lives according to statistics.
  • Neutered male cats live 40% longer lives than those not neutered.
  • Female cats if not spayed and not bred can develop Pyometra which is an infection of the uterus and can be fatal.
  • Female cats that are spayed can't get uterine cancers and the risk of mammary cancer is reduced by 25%.
  • Spayed female cats are less likely to get urinary tract infections.
  • Male cats can't get testicular cancer if neutered and helps reduce prostate issues.
  • Male cats that are not neutered develop the strong desire to get out of homes when they know a female cat in the neighborhood is in heat. There is also a strong likelihood of the male cat howling, being aggressive toward owners and other pets in the home and the potential of them slipping out of the house increases.
  • Altering your cat reduces the risk of an "accidental" pregnancy.
Things to remember when having a Sphynx spayed or neutered:
  • Always be sure the vet does not use Ketamine, this particular anesthesia can be fatal to a sphynx cat that has hidden heart issues.
  • Some breeders will spay/neuter at a very young age before the kitten goes to their new home. If not altered, then a good rule of thumb is 6 months or 5 lbs whichever comes first.
  • If you are thinking of microchipping your cat, doing it during their spay/neutering is a perfect time while they are already under anesthesia.
Thank you for this very informative summary! Which alternatives of anesthetics can be used for Sphynx cats if not Ketamine? Thank you, Angie

Back