Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx with Dogs

Jeff Mahady

Lairian
I currently have two sphinx now, a male and female that love each other. My wife and I were thinking of bringing a dog into the family and I was wondering about breeds that mix well with cats. Do any of you have dogs with your cats and if so how's it going and what breed do you have?

thanks,
Jeff

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Jeff Mahady , Many different breeds of members dogs here on the lair from the teeniest to giant size :)

Alot depends on personalities, socializing ,supervised training -
And to have a plan if the resident kitties don't welcome a new friend
Or if the dog does not like cats

Keep in mind too that even dogs that grew up with cats (i.e. when adopted )may not get along with every cat

It's all a delicate balance and a training commitment

Is there a breed you are considering?
I would research the personalities amd traits of breeds to make an informed decision

You may see adorable images in the media section of various breeds with Sphynx :)

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I currently have two sphinx now, a male and female that love each other. My wife and I were thinking of bringing a dog into the family and I was wondering about breeds that mix well with cats. Do any of you have dogs with your cats and if so how's it going and what breed do you have?

thanks,
Jeff
We have 3 dogs, a Boxer, Great Dane and Chinese Crested. All three get along fine, well they "live" together in peace for the most part. I would worry more about what will make you the humans happy first. If I had to choose a dog myself, I would stay small, I like the Chinese Crested myself, I like to keep the naked thing goin. :rolleyes: This is Louie.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
A lot of dogs can get along with sphynx cats, specially when the dog is still a puppy and grew up with cats. Are your sphynxes used to dogs?

I personally love the Chinese Crested, a great Dane or...actually I love all kind of dogs:).

Welcome to sphynxlair by the way.

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I had a great dane (she recently passed) and my female absolutely adored her. They were always cuddling. I also have a cavalier king charles spaniel, and she and my male sphynx play often. I'd say on the whole, that everyone gets along quite well.
I think any breed should work, provided that you get one with the temperment that you want. Do lots of research and take your time.
Good luck, what fun!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

thanks,
Jeff

@Jeff Mahady I have two miniature poodles and a handful of sphynx cats. What breeds are you interested in getting? Since you don't have fur/shedding pets at home now, are you considering any dog breed that needs to get groomed because they have hair, not fur? I would think of all the breeds that interest you and your wife and then research their personalities. I'm sure you would want a sweet dog that won't eat your sphynx cats.

When you decide, please come back here and share. We'd love to hear all about your choice.

Back