Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

The passing of my Sphynx Cat - Grieving remaining Sphynx! Help!

hcraft

Lairian
Hello Sphynx Lair,

This is my first time posting on this forum and would appreciate any advice you may have!

Here is my situation - I had two sphynx cats - Archibald and Aura (both almost 6 years old). My baby girl Aura got ill quite suddenly (she ended up having what the vet's thought was lung cancer and she had to be put down). I am doing alright (I miss her terribly), but Archibald is not without his beloved companion. He is still eating, drinking, and will play with his toy when I engage with him. However, less than a minute after I leave my apartment he is at the door howling. I found out he did this after I went to leave my apartment for the day, forgot my credit card, and had to return only to hear him the second I walked out from the elevator. I work a full-time job and my only concern is his happiness/not being lonely.

It has only been two weeks since Aura's passing and I am unsure if I should give Archibald more time, or if I should be starting to look for a new feline member to join our family. I am also going to consult with my vet to get a professional opinion and possibly explore some medication if Archibald's anxiety doesn't go down.

I just ordered a Cat Cam so that I can check in on Archibald while I am at work (it has a two-way voice function so I can talk to him.. yes I am a cat lady).

Have any of you gone through losing a cat in a two-cat household? Any suggestions on things I can do to make Archibald's life easier and help him cope with his loss? Have any of you gotten OR not chosen to get a new cat? How did that work for you?

Thank you for your help!

Hailey

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
First off, I am very sorry for both of you for the loss of your family member. It very hard to say goodbye under any circumstances.
It sounds like he is taking the loss of his friend very hard and is very lonely. I might consider looking for a companion cat sooner than later so you can find a good match for him and you. I dont mean to rush into adopting a cat NOW, but to find a real friend for him. And consider what kind of personality might fit with him and you the best.
You may also want to consider other means of helping him such as CBD oil, anti anxiety medication or feliway. I would look into any path that might lead him to some comfort. Be open to helping him grieve, but he has to move forward to be healthy too.
I have been though this situation and as my cat was only 3 at the time I did get her a friend. She was much happier and he was a very shy cat so it helped him be more confident. It took some time because I didn't want to get a cat that would challenge her for dominance. She was in charge until she passed at 14.5 years old.
Hugs

Sheldon13

Staff member
I wanted to suggest Feliway too. I think it would help with his anxiety while you are gone.

I would say you should start looking for a friend for him now, so long as your heart is ready.

I’m so sorry you both are having to go through this. Rest In Peace, Aura.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yoda mom

Staff member
@hcraft (((comforting hugs ))) and head smooches to Archibald .
So sorry for both of you that your sweet Aura got her angel wings.
Aura only knew your love .

Please let us know what your vet suggests for grieving Archibald.
Members are caring and supportive and will chime in with experiences.

Do you have a blanket with Aura’s scent to leave out with Archilbald ?
Leave radio or television on ?

Here is an article I I read when my first sphynx kitty suddenly got her angel wings

My heart hurts for both of you ((( hugs n head smooches )))

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Very sorry for the loss of you Aura. So heartbreaking to hear Archibald mourn so much about his Aura.
Maybe you can plug in a felliway diffuser to see if this calms him.
It's hard to say if he needs time to adjust to his life as a single cat or he needs a new buddy. Some sphynx can't be alone after they had a buddy for years. Guess it also depends if you want to be owned by two cats again.
Good idea to get a cat cam so you see how he behaves during the day. This way you can see if he adjust to his new life.

Welcome to sphynxlair by the way.

hcraft

Lairian
Thank you so much to everyone that has responded. Your thoughts, condolences, and suggestions are much appreciated. I went today and got both a Feliway and some CBD Oil, so I will give those a few days to kick in. I also will speak with my vet to get any suggestions he may have and discuss the best steps in looking for a new companion if Archibald continues to struggle.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm so sorry to read about Aura's passing. I've always heard that cats who were bonded mourn the loss of their companion. I had a bonded pair that was already older, so when the first one died I didn't go out and get another cat. Instead I paid extra attention to the single kitty. I was working from home 2-3 days per week plus there was the weekend too so she wasn't alone that much. However, since Archibald is only 6 I think he would be fine with a new cat assuming you are ready.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I am so sorry your baby got her wings. Animals truly do grieve. Trust your gut to know when the time is right to add to the family. I never looked at it as a replacement it rather an addition and every time it helped heal our hearts.

alandsim

Lairian
I don't have any good advice to add to what lovely members have already commented. I am so sorry for your loss and I hope that your family can find a way to move forward and honor Aura's memory.

hcraft

Lairian
How exciting! Are you getting a kitten? Have you put a deposit down for a new baby?
I will most likely get a kitten, as based on previous experience (with non-sphynx cats) it seems like an easier process to introduce a kitten into a cat household, than to introduce an adult cat.

And I have not yet put down a deposit, but hope to do so soon! I am just starting to look at breeders in BC. I have contacted one, but will continue to look.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@hcraft awhhh I truly believd they send us the one to love like they knew in this world ,,
I look forward to updates
Hugs Head smooches

you can start a thread looking for a reputable breeder in your area or surrounding areas so members can chime in with a PM since we can’t mention specific breeders on public threads

Tagging @Xandria @naomi @sphynkles

Back