Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

The Politics of Litter

April

Lairian
I have a Cat Genie and I love it. When I got it Naked was already living with me using a regular litter pan. She started getting a rash on her head and come to find out has contact dermatitis. Vet recommended I change litter, laundry soap, bath soap, ect. When the cat genie arrived I set it up and she used it over the regular litter pan and watched it clean her bathroom breaks away. Actually she still watches it clean and sits on top of the dome while it dries the pellets because it's warm. It has also helped on the dermatitis. I do think that its overall your choice on what your cat uses. She also doesn't use the bathroom anywhere but in the Cat Genie. I am sure not all of the cats in the world will like this litter box but I have has nothing but success with my cat.

Nudie Patootie

Lairian
I think that if you have regular hairy cats, his advice is pretty sound, but he has probably never lived with sphynx poo! We have four sphynx, and one has looser bowel movements that clear the house. We bought a litter robot over a year ago so that they wouldn't be stepping in each other's stuff and tracking it through the house. The soiled litter falls right into a plastic bag under the box--so it is easy to clean. Overall, our babies (and us) have been happy with it!

tuffysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Oh my, Paka is so fussy that if the box isn't clean enough, she uses the tub as a reminder that she is not pleased with the situation. Doesn't happen often, but she cops an attitude when it does. Once the box is clean, she is the first in there....like waiting at the door for the cleaning to be finished. I have 3 cats, Paka and two furry ones. They have three litter boxes and use the one in the bathroom only for solid waste. Another is just for liquid waste, and the last is used as a last resort. We use Tidy Cat Multiple Cats and their paws are never dirty. The solid waste one determines Paka's standard of cleanliness. Her name is, in Swahili, cat with stinky poos. They've hardened up since she was a baby...but you don't want to go in there right after her. :rolleyes:

CerseiBae

Lairian
I just bought my first automated litter box (petsafe self clean dish, $125 retail, $60 on Amazon) and it is AMAZING! Seriously. This is the best thing that has every happened. Just some litter on the ground around it, but it works and is quiet and it doesn't scare my kitty. It's made my life easier.

Yourbroboris

Lairian
I had one cat trained in the toilet. He took to it right away and abandoned his litter box. But when his little brother came the baby fell in the toilet and that was the end of that. I didn't want to force him. So we went back to a covered litter box. I use the crystals and I love them. The poop is cleaned twice a day. They each poop twice a day. The crystals soak up the per. You just stir it around. I replace the litter every 7-10 days. I live in a studio apartment and there isno catbox or catlitter smell.

NekidKats

Lairian
We've tried everything but we like Tidy Cats in the large tubs but only the Blue One because the others seem dusty. It may be because we scoop the boxes twice daily and don't mind sweeping up the tracked litter so much.. to us it's just part of the pact we have with our babies.. it's a labor of love.

TheZu

Lairian
I agree with the whole "Avoid toilet training too". I think you're just less likely to run into problems over all. And even from a human perspective, I've actually heard of people's who's cats were trained to use the toilet but they learned how to flush, and then drove up the bill by flushing for fun all the time XD. So much for saving on litter costs.

I was surprised by him saying not to excessively clean though...my experience is that cats actually hate when the box gets way too dirty :/ I can see maybe not replacing the whole litter every day and just scooping daily, but I've never met a cat that wanted to use a dirty litter box over a clean one. I'm also honestly impartial to the idea of an automatic litter box. I personally don't want one, they're expensive and they look grosser to clean to me then just scooping. But if it works for you and your cat I think it's no big. I doubt the cat can tell the difference. I'm hoping we can get our cat used to a box with a hood when we get her. If she doesn't, she doesn't but we're a bit cramped in a studio apartment right now and being able to cover it would help us save space. I'm hoping she's also okay with just the one...again, just while we're in the studio suite. But I'll make it work! Clearing out a corner area for a second one just in case.

I'm still trying to determine what litter I want to use. I just heard of this litter called "Pretty Litter" and I'm really debating getting it because it can help you monitor your cats health:PrettyLitter™ - Health Monitoring Cat Litter - Delivered Monthly . Does anyone here use it or have any experience with it?

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I agree with the whole "Avoid toilet training too". I think you're just less likely to run into problems over all. And even from a human perspective, I've actually heard of people's who's cats were trained to use the toilet but they learned how to flush, and then drove up the bill by flushing for fun all the time XD. So much for saving on litter costs.

I was surprised by him saying not to excessively clean though...my experience is that cats actually hate when the box gets way too dirty :/ I can see maybe not replacing the whole litter every day and just scooping daily, but I've never met a cat that wanted to use a dirty litter box over a clean one. I'm also honestly impartial to the idea of an automatic litter box. I personally don't want one, they're expensive and they look grosser to clean to me then just scooping. But if it works for you and your cat I think it's no big. I doubt the cat can tell the difference. I'm hoping we can get our cat used to a box with a hood when we get her. If she doesn't, she doesn't but we're a bit cramped in a studio apartment right now and being able to cover it would help us save space. I'm hoping she's also okay with just the one...again, just while we're in the studio suite. But I'll make it work! Clearing out a corner area for a second one just in case.

I'm still trying to determine what litter I want to use. I just heard of this litter called "Pretty Litter" and I'm really debating getting it because it can help you monitor your cats health:PrettyLitter™ - Health Monitoring Cat Litter - Delivered Monthly . Does anyone here use it or have any experience with it?

I second this, I just recently heard about Pretty Litter the other day from a thread on here from others who use it, and I really want to try it! But not so sure if I can justify the $35 shipping fee to Canada...o_O

TheZu

Lairian
I second this, I just recently heard about Pretty Litter the other day from a thread on here from others who use it, and I really want to try it! But not so sure if I can justify the $35 shipping fee to Canada...o_O

Ick, I'm from Canada too! I was hoping for a reasonable shipping price, but that's as much as the bag would cost :( Don't know if we can splurge on that then...what a shame. I really loved the idea too, so smart. Plus their customer service seemed really good. All negative reviews I found had a rep talk to them to sort issues. Maybe there is a similar product available in Canada that can detect PH balances.

EDIT: Okay, for one month of kitty litter for one cat I would be paying about $53.00 Canadian with shipping. Not terrible, especially if the product is as good as advertised...does add up if I need two bags for two boxes. How much do most of you spend per month on litter?

Last edited:

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ick, I'm from Canada too! I was hoping for a reasonable shipping price, but that's as much as the bag would cost :( Don't know if we can splurge on that then...what a shame. I really loved the idea too, so smart. Plus their customer service seemed really good. All negative reviews I found had a rep talk to them to sort issues. Maybe there is a similar product available in Canada that can detect PH balances.

EDIT: Okay, for one month of kitty litter for one cat I would be paying about $53.00 Canadian with shipping. Not terrible, especially if the product is as good as advertised...does add up if I need two bags for two boxes. How much do most of you spend per month on litter?

I was just about to reply as well, lol! It seems today the shipping is only $20 making the total come to $41 USD (yesterday shipping was $35, strange), which isn't awful? I'd say right now I spend about $40/month on litter. I currently buy the Arm & Hammer Slide, which costs $18 for one and we usually buy 2 a month if I had to guess. My only issue is my mom also has 3 cats herself (soon to be 4 with a naked of her own :happy:) and they tend to come into my room and use Yoda's litter box! Which would mean that the one bag of Pretty Litter wouldn't last a full month if more than one kitty is using it. I'd be interested to see if there's a Canadian equivalent (y)

TheZu

Lairian
I did it again, the higher shipping cost is for two bags, which comes to about $93 a month in canada. That's a bit much unfortunately.

I did find this on Amazon Canada. It's not a litter but looks like it can be added?

zindaginha

Lairian
I use Fresh News, which is large pellets made from recycled newspapers. I also use a giant old plastic bin without the lid. The pellets are fairly absorbent, so soak up the liquid and cover up the poop well enough, but it isn't clumping. There's zero to little dust and the cat can't really track the litter out of the box, because it's large pellets. The sides of the box are really high--actually, Asterix is a really good sport about this box because it is a little awkward for him to get in and out, but he does it without complaint--so the litter doesn't get kicked out, either. I scoop the poop and peed-on litter once to twice a day. Like I said, the pellets absorb the pee, which makes them turn dark so I can see the pee-soaked pellets to scoop them. Also, the pellets stick to the poop, so that's easy enough to remove. I add a little more pellets every time I scoop the box and once a month I dump the whole thing out and the wash the bin, which isn't too dirty because the pellets are pretty absorbent.

I can't handle the sight of poop and I also worry about the cat stepping in old poop, so I scoop frequently. I assume that there's enough scent, still, that Asterix still smells himself in the box and feels safe or whatever.

Anyway, I appreciate the lack of dust or residue getting tracked everywhere, so I 100% recommend Fresh News.

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I use Fresh News, which is large pellets made from recycled newspapers. I also use a giant old plastic bin without the lid. The pellets are fairly absorbent, so soak up the liquid and cover up the poop well enough, but it isn't clumping. There's zero to little dust and the cat can't really track the litter out of the box, because it's large pellets. The sides of the box are really high--actually, Asterix is a really good sport about this box because it is a little awkward for him to get in and out, but he does it without complaint--so the litter doesn't get kicked out, either. I scoop the poop and peed-on litter once to twice a day. Like I said, the pellets absorb the pee, which makes them turn dark so I can see the pee-soaked pellets to scoop them. Also, the pellets stick to the poop, so that's easy enough to remove. I add a little more pellets every time I scoop the box and once a month I dump the whole thing out and the wash the bin, which isn't too dirty because the pellets are pretty absorbent.

I can't handle the sight of poop and I also worry about the cat stepping in old poop, so I scoop frequently. I assume that there's enough scent, still, that Asterix still smells himself in the box and feels safe or whatever.

Anyway, I appreciate the lack of dust or residue getting tracked everywhere, so I 100% recommend Fresh News.
Hi there would you be so kind as to take a picture of the box I am trying to imagine what you mean
Hugs
From us xxx❤️❤️❤️

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi there I have seen these robot thingies I would be afraid of a malfunction ! But I am sure as well this isn’t a problem
I have in the past used crystals but when Cleo came home it was like they hurt her feet and she did drag a lot out , so I bought the wood pellets that was sent home with her they don’t clump but absorb the wee
Xxx❤️❤️

Back