Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hayley ebborn

Lairian
Help! My male kitten has been urinating absolutely everywhere in my house countless times on my sons clothes in my lounge room my bedroom even on his own beds I have just thrown out my second cat bed now I've heard males are sprayers but this is just beyond the joke! First male cat I have owned any tips on how to change this behaviour it's driving me insane or is this just something I have to deal with? (His litter trays are cleaned daily and he is housed with a desexed female)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Hayley ebborn , how old is he ? Is he neutered? Has the vet ruled out a urinary infection - Struvite crystals or oxalate crystals that ,ales can be prone to?

First I would get the vet to rule out any medical reason.
I would have him neutered if not amd clean everything with a good enzyme cleaner or he will just go back to same spot .
Here is a link
Sphynx pooping or peeing outside the litter box

I am sure others will chime in with great suggestions

Often Recommemded is the feliaway diffusers amd a black light to check a read to be sure to clean with enzyme cleaner like natures miracle enzyme cleaner or anti icky poo enzyme cleaner

Is there an intact outside cat or female in heat test he can see them a window?

Hsvr you changed litter types lately or tried other types of litter boxes?
I got the big jumbo Catit cat box my boys like.

Sometimes kitties have a preference for types of box and litters
My moms cat we switched litters to Dr elseys cat litter in the blue bag amd took out the plastic liner big from her cat box
and viola no more problems

Many years ago I adopted a retired stud Bengal cat- breeder neutered him -
I trained him like a dog when I got him -
with treats and praise ever time he used the box , literally as he was stepping out of the box .
then treats randomly - I keep a treat just near the box -
It was a game he played for his entire nearly 18 yrs - he was such a good boy .

no free roaming unless consistent with litter habits ,supervised free roaming - building up time and area .

Please keep us updated

Last edited:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Hayley ebborn If he is not neutered it does not matter that your female is spayed. He is frustrated and the older he gets the more likely he will spray even more. Many breeders have separate stud rooms just because of this issue. Not neutering is often the cause for behavioral issues and there are studies showing neutered/spayed cats live longer. Great suggestions from @Yoda mom on what to do if he is neutered.

Patti

Pierre

Lairian
When I got my male kitten Pierre he was supposedly litter trained, yes trained to avoid the litter tray! He went everywhere! We ended up with two litter trays as he wont use the same until it's completely cleaned, we purchased a huge dog pen for when we go out and night times that had one of the litter trays in and we gave him access to one room only.
After a couple of days of persuading him when we caught him sniffing he started using both.
4 weeks on and we are now at the point where he sleeps anywhere in the apartment he wishes as he goes to one of his trays now automatically and we can also leave him out if going the shop etc.

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Hayley ebborn Get him neutered if he isn't already, 6 months is plenty old enough for this. He might start exhibiting other unwanted behavior as he matures otherwise. Spraying, dominant with other cats, trying to escape.....

Make sure you are using the same litter he was at the breeder and the same type of box. If so, try different types.

Hayley ebborn

Lairian
Neuter is not an option because he is a breeding stud. So I'm going to have to try other things to stop this behaviour or just deal with it felliway won't go a stray and being a breeding male anyway I don't see any way to stop this behaviour it is natural for a Tom to do it just thought there might be a solution to the problem.

Hayley ebborn

Lairian
They have their own room

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 54

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Some breeders find having multiple females for their studs to breed with helps to take away the frustration. But spraying can really impact your home/environment due to the strong smell. Some breeders seek out other breeders with stud service to avoid this common issue and pay stud fees/ or pick of the litter.

Hayley ebborn

Lairian
Some breeders find having multiple females for their studs to breed with helps to take away the frustration. But spraying can really impact your home/environment due to the strong smell. Some breeders seek out other breeders with stud service to avoid this common issue and pay stud fees/ or pick of the litter.
Yeah I thought of that also but I already purchased him now and I couldn't get rid of him

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Hayley ebborn Wow that is a gorgeous kitty room :)

I am sure breeders will PM you with some great ideas

Have you contacted your breeder / mentor ? For suggestions?

You cans also take him out in the rest of the house on a leash and harness for supervised exploring with you much like a new puppy - when not supervised back to that awesome kitty room when you are not home

I know my breeder I adopted from also had a stud "boys" room

**She also got a one fast cat excercise wheel which her kitties love :)

I read reviews and watched videos online
Thr new version has covered wheel caps -
full-motion-01_copy@2x.jpg

Last edited:

Hayley ebborn

Lairian

You cans also take him out in the rest of the house on a leash and harness for supervised exploring with you much like a new puppy - when not supervised back to that awesome kitty room when you are not home

Thank you very much they are spoilt and definatly well looked after too I like the wheel idea looks fun will have to have a look and yeah contacted breeder just waiting to hear back from her I know it's a male thing but my landlord will not be impressed with the cat pee smell I love the young man and getting rid of him is not an option he has cost me abit of $$$$$ but I'm happy to try different ideas too ☺️

Hayley ebborn

Lairian

[/QUOTE
Have you guys thought of making an app for sphynxlair? would make everything a lot easier to do on here ☺️ (Still learning lol)

momdeeze

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hey, I PM'ed you. But I forgot to mention: We do have a one fast cat wheel and Mortimer has used it so much we are on the third set of wheels! I bought it on the Kickstarter and they've improved the wheels since the beginning (and they replaced them at no cost)... Mortimer uses it almost 24/7.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, I PM'ed you. But I forgot to mention: We do have a one fast cat wheel and Mortimer has used it so much we are on the third set of wheels! I bought it on the Kickstarter and they've improved the wheels since the beginning (and they replaced them at no cost)... Mortimer uses it almost 24/7.
@momdeeze - can you share your thoughts and ideas here to the group as well? It may help someone else looking for this information in the future.

Thanks! :)

Pierre

Lairian
I hope you find a solution and wow that kitty room is amazing!!!

*side note* that exercise wheel looks fab, I'm adding that to Pierres Xmas list right now! (I'm too soft, I'll probably give in and get it for his birthday as that's sooner haha)

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Help! My male kitten has been urinating absolutely everywhere in my house countless times on my sons clothes in my lounge room my bedroom even on his own beds I have just thrown out my second cat bed now I've heard males are sprayers but this is just beyond the joke! First male cat I have owned any tips on how to change this behaviour it's driving me insane or is this just something I have to deal with? (His litter trays are cleaned daily and he is housed with a desexed female)

@Hayley ebborn how's the little boy? Is he using his litter box now to urinate?

Back