Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Urinating outside litter box/urinary crystals

Yoda mom

Staff member
@GatosLocos , you can check with your vet if "Buspar" buspirone would be helpful. Many years ago I adopted a bengal cat stud. Vet gave me an rx of Buspar I used for a little while when I first adopted him, and it helped him during the transition. after a while he did not need it anymore.
" the usual use is for urine-marking in cats but it can also be used to relieve anxiety in timid cats who are bullied by more dominant cats"

GatosLocos

Lairian
Update: so the vet did an ultra sound wanted to check for kidney stones or if he’s having more crystals. Luckily everything came back negative! So the vet suggested that it’s behavioral:( so she suggested that we put him on Zoloft to help him with his stress that’s causing him to do this.

So he’s been put on gabapentin for a week to see how he reacts and if it’s good they will either continue/ adapt him to Zoloft. This really makes me sad that he has to be put on something like this. I know it’s most likely my (not so friendly) neighbor who has indoor/outdoor cats that come to our windows and taunt him. This is the only think I can’t think of that would cause him this stress.

As I mentioned there is someone always home with him so he’s not left alone long hours. It’s my husband and I with my dad and grandmother. We all work besides my grandmother and he’s really attached to her because she’s always home. I know it would be better is he had a sister or brother to keep him company but it’s not in the budget right now.

I really hope these meds help him relax. Other than that he’s eat drinking and playin as usual. He hasn’t urinated on the couch since receiving this new med.

I will update if medications change and how he adapts to this new change:(

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
We had a girl that we tried every thing before we had to put her on “kitty Prozac.” We really didn’t want to thinking it would make her lethargic etc. Turns out it was the best thing we could have done. It took a couple of weeks to work, and she stopped peeing outside of the box. She was far from lethargic and we realized how much happier she must be, not feeling stressed. As a human we know how horrible stress feels on our bodies/brains…taking the edge off made her more relaxed. I hope that med works for your baby. I give you kudos for trying everything to help elevate their stress and not giving up. @GatosLocos

GatosLocos

Lairian
We had a girl that we tried every thing before we had to put her on “kitty Prozac.” We really didn’t want to thinking it would make her lethargic etc. Turns out it was the best thing we could have done. It took a couple of weeks to work, and she stopped peeing outside of the box. She was far from lethargic and we realized how much happier she must be, not feeling stressed. As a human we know how horrible stress feels on our bodies/brains…taking the edge off made her more relaxed. I hope that med works for your baby. I give you kudos for trying everything to help elevate their stress and not giving up. @GatosLocos
Thank you for giving me your insight on this! I don’t know anyone else who’s had their kitty on these types of meds and if they are long term, but you telling me that it helped your baby gives me hope. It’s funny miklo was a gift to me for my birthday in 2021 when I lost a lot of people close to me and I just had a lot of anxiety the most awful feeling to have and then miklo came into my life and now he’s the one with the anxiety:( I’m willing to try everything I can’t give up! I love him too much

Back