Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphnxophelia

Lairian
Hey guys,
I'm having problems (Again!) but with my kitten McFly this time. He was born on August 2nd, So he is only 7 weeks old and His left eye looks like it may have Conjunctivitis or Uveitis in it. But that's just my opinion, and I was wondering what you all thought?

He opened his eyes just 2 days after birth, And that same day Althea (His Mom) got Mastitis in one of her Mammary Glands and I had to hand feed him for 2 days and 1 night before she could take over again, So his immune system was probably pretty beat up. Then his eyes got runny and I kept wiping them with a warm baby wipe or wash cloth and I put Vetrimycin Eye Gel in his eyes and it seemed to help alot. But then one night I was looking at his eye and noticed there was a Dimple or a dent in his cornea and he was sleeping at unusual hours (For him), Some days he acts fine and other days he acts tired. I naturally kinda freaked out and waited until the morning (Saturday) to see if it was still there and it looked way way better. And yesterday was Sunday and I don't have a emergency vet around here but yesterday it was Red and Clouded over a little in the corner and I decided it was definitely time to get him to the vet's office. So today I called the vet and his eye is even worse now, Its almost completely clouded and that dimple is there still. So he is going in tomorrow (Tuesday) to see whats up with him. His Right eye is 100% fine but I doubt he can even see out of his Left eye.
What do you think this could be? And is this permanent? I wouldn't want him to be blind in his left eye for life of course. Also would this effect his Depth Perception? Because he seems to be a little unbalanced when it comes to jumping and climbing. Thanks for reading my book of an explanation. Any Help, Advice, or answers would be awesome :)
DSC05617.JPG
DSC05522.JPG

Last edited:

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ouch. Looks like a corneal ulcer to me.

Could the dimple be a scratch? Has he been scratching the eye or could one of the other kittens have?

It can also be caused by shampoo, dust, litter, etc getting in there.

Glad you are taking him in tomorrow as he needs to be seen ASAP so it can be treated and it doesn't get any worse. It can lead to blindness if left untreated. Eye injuries are emergencies.

Our Alfie was scratched as a kitten in the eye, it has scarred and he seems unaffected. He almost lost vision in the eye though.

Sphnxophelia

Lairian
Ouch. Looks like a corneal ulcer to me.

Could the dimple be a scratch? Has he been scratching the eye or could one of the other kittens have?

It can also be caused by shampoo, dust, litter, etc getting in there.

Glad you are taking him in tomorrow as he needs to be seen ASAP so it can be treated and it doesn't get any worse. It can lead to blindness if left untreated. Eye injuries are emergencies.

Our Alfie was scratched as a kitten in the eye, it has scarred and he seems unaffected. He almost lost vision in the eye though.
Thanks for the Reply :) I was just looking it up online and thats what I came across too. I feel like I cant get him to the vet fast enough. It is possible that one of the other kittens scratched his eye and he started potty training around the same time this started, So that would make sense that he got litter in his eye. I'm happy to hear that your sphynx made it through it. I hope his is not too far gone to recover his sight.

momdeeze

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We have an exotic shirthair (Machka) in addition to Sphynx. Since Machka has the squished flat face and no nose to protect her eyeballs she often gets a scratched cornea. That is what the photo looks like to me, it gets cloudy. She also had a corneal sequestrum that looked horrible let but it healed well with just eye drops (didn't need surgery). Good luck to McFly. I hope it's something that is easily treated.

Sphnxophelia

Lairian
We have an exotic shirthair (Machka) in addition to Sphynx. Since Machka has the squished flat face and no nose to protect her eyeballs she often gets a scratched cornea. That is what the photo looks like to me, it gets cloudy. She also had a corneal sequestrum that looked horrible let but it healed well with just eye drops (didn't need surgery). Good luck to McFly. I hope it's something that is easily treated.
I'm hoping he will recover well and that the vet will have something on hand tomorrow to give to me. It gives me hope to hear that your little one made it okay :) Thank You and Have a Great Night

Sphnxophelia

Lairian
I hope the vet has good news for you. Please be update us...positive vibes are sent.

Patti
I will definitely update tomorrow, The vet appt is in the afternoon so it might be tomorrow night. I am pretty sure its a Corneal Ulcer but what its caused by I am dying to find out. Thanks Patti for everything, Seems like the only time I get time to come on here is when I need advice, Ugh. But you have been a great help through every one of my Sphynx Problems :)

Sphnxophelia

Lairian
I've also been thinking of getting my entire brood on L-Lysine for safety precautions and to help little McFly get better. But I haven't had to use it before. I was wondering How do you give L-Lysine to a cat, and Is is pill form or liquid? And is there a certain brand that works better than others? What would you all suggest? Maybe I should ask my vet tomorrow.

Sphnxophelia

Lairian
You are more than welcome. That's what this place is all about. You have had a tough go of it lately...let's hope you catch a break tomorrow and your baby starts healing.

Patti
I Know, It never seems to stop. I am hoping that its all good news too. Let you know what happens tomorrow :) Good Night.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
That is a super idea. Many of us use it every day just as a maintenance program. I bought the huge tub of it on Amazon. It is powder form and I just sprinkle on their wet food. Some members use the L-Lysine treats. Ours are picky about treats so I didn't try them and they are much more expensive.

Patti

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Sphnxophelia , ((Healing head kisses))) to little McFly cutie - sending positive thoughts for his vet visit today! Want to hear good news!

I give L-lysine - powder mixed on wet food- Toby came with Now Vitamin brand l-lysine in the big orange packaging-people version powder form from Amazon. I use only 1/4 teaspoon mixed in wet food - lasts forever ... I believe there is a powdered kitty version brand. I would ask your vet today.

I tried l-lysine treats- none of the 4 would eat them

I have on hand- using up -Enisyl-F paste / pump - only one out of 4 will touch it- I have 4 more pump containers to use up on Toby who licks it off my finger - the others run when I open the cap :)

Sphnxophelia

Lairian
Thanks for the tips on L-Lysine. I got the vitamins at Walmart today, If I use a pill crusher would those work as powder form too?
As far as the Vet goes, We went there today at 4:00 and She took one look at his eye and said It was a Very Deep Corneal Ulcer. She said that she didn't even have to stain it to see that which wasnt a good thing. She gave me Ofloxacin Ophthalmic Drops 0.3% to put in his left eye once every hour. She said if it gets worse that she needs to see him immediately and she will Seal his eye with a Surgery that will hold his 3rd eye lid flap shut over his eye. He is due back Next week for a check up as long as he doesn't get worse by then. She said she has seen it in even younger kittens and even worse and they have made complete recoveries but she said its not a sure thing that he will recover without surgery and he will probably always have a scar there. I am so hoping that these drops can do the trick and he will heal quickly. Poor little guy :( He loved the car ride today, He wanted to see out the window the whole time. I am relieved to hear that he doesn't need surgery yet and yet a little worried that the drops wont work. I am just Thankful for the chance that he can get better :)

Thanks everyone and I will keep you posted with how the vet checks go and if he gets better or worse.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it might not have been the greatest news, but at least you have an answer and there is a chance of a full recovery which is awesome. You did so much research last night on here into the wee hours of the morning (we were both not sleeping well I guess...lol) and you had a very good idea of what to expect which is a good thing because you were prepapred. I am glad your vet covered all bases and gave you different scenarios. Biggest thing now is hoping your baby has no pain. So take a deep breath and just stay on top of those drops and Lair Prayers will keep going your way.

patti

Yoda mom

Staff member
((Healing thoughts and hugs)))) get some rest and hope to hear good news updates
T
Not sure about using the pills and a pill crusher to get the right dosage- sure someone will chime in

Give extra healing head kisses from us!

Sphnxophelia

Lairian
Well, it might not have been the greatest news, but at least you have an answer and there is a chance of a full recovery which is awesome. You did so much research last night on here into the wee hours of the morning (we were both not sleeping well I guess...lol) and you had a very good idea of what to expect which is a good thing because you were prepapred. I am glad your vet covered all bases and gave you different scenarios. Biggest thing now is hoping your baby has no pain. So take a deep breath and just stay on top of those drops and Lair Prayers will keep going your way.

patti
Thank You :) Yeah, I was feeling terrible about his eye and what I could have done differently, I wanted to prepare myself for the worst because I didn't want to break out crying in the vets office, Lol. It certainly could be a lot worse so I am very Thankful that he got into the vet when he did.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Just move forward and do not beat yourself up. It is a learning curve for many and it is not life threatening. Just do as the vet prescribed and your baby will have the best recovery possible :)

Patti

Sphnxophelia

Lairian
I would just use the drops on the very strict schedule and hope they do their magic. :)

Our guy has a scar and you can barely notice it

View attachment 51471
Thanks for sharing the picture, It even looks a little like McFly. It also gives me a good idea of what a Corneal scar looks like. I am giving the drops every hour in his infected eye. He gets another drop at 4:00. Thanks again for the pic and the info :)

Sphnxophelia

Lairian
Well, Today it looks like his eye is shedding a layer of the film that is on his eye. Of course it is still cloudy and it doesnt look great but it looks like the drops have made a difference. His corneal ulcer dimple looks like it has a scab like closure on it as well. I am hoping this is a good thing.

Sphnxophelia

Lairian
Just thought I would post an update on McFly's eye. He went for his Second check up at the vets and She said that it looks tons better :) She didnt think I would be able to keep up with one drop every hour but I was pretty devoted, Lol. She told me I can put a drop in his eye once every 2 hours now for the next week, And then on the third week a drop 3 times a day. She said he will have a scar in the center of his eye but he will be able to see past it and it wont be that bad at all. So I was extremely happy to hear that he is getting better and is improving immensely. Thanks again guys for all of the information you gave me :)

Back