Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Cat's Water Broke(???) Need Advice Soon

Sphnxophelia

Lairian
Hey All,
About 4 days ago now I went out of town for a important Apointment and My Dam was due around the same time- I was weary of leaving her, trust me. When I got home she wasnt laying in her bed and on her blanket there was a liquid spot about the size/quantity of a banana and light pink in color that was damp but not wet so I figured it happened sometime around 5pm that day. I believe this was her water breakage, this is what it looks like to me. I found her underneath my bed in my bedroom and she wasnt in Labor but I expected her to be. Her kittens were very active and her tummy felt tight. She had leaked little drops of fleshy colored mucus around my room, 4 drops that I counted.
Now she never had any kittens and as I said it was 4 days ago. I am now unsure whether or not that was her water breaking or if it was something else. She has been leaking alot now everyday the same fleshy colored mucus and mix with tiny droplets of blood, Seems like more of it everyday. It seems like she was having light contractions one day but it was nothing, Her breathing is rapid at times but then she just exhales deeply and everything is normal again. She also sleeps probably 17 hours a day and she drinks alot and eats alot, Purrs alot too. My other cat had a litter of kittens turn out fine and her water broke 2 days before she went into labor so I am familiar with this just not for this long span of time. So I am wondering has this ever happened to someone else for this amount of time? And what should I expect then? Should I consider Oxytocin anytime soon? Any Information would be greatly apprecitated. Thank-You.

Last edited by a moderator:

nfaerie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hey All,
About 4 days ago now I went out of town for a important Apointment and My Dam was due around the same time- I was weary of leaving her, trust me. When I got home she wasnt laying in her bed and on her blanket there was a liquid spot about the size/quantity of a banana and light pink in color that was damp but not wet so I figured it happened sometime around 5pm that day. I believe this was her water breakage, I have been breeding cats for a while and this is what it looks like to me. I found her underneath my bed in my bedroom and she wasnt in Labor but I expected her to be. Her kittens were very active and her tummy felt tight. She had leaked little drops of fleshy colored mucus around my room, 4 drops that I counted.
Now she never had any kittens and as I said it was 4 days ago. I am now unsure whether or not that was her water breaking or if it was something else. She has been leaking alot now everyday the same fleshy colored mucus and mix with tiny droplets of blood, Seems like more of it everyday. It seems like she was having light contractions one day but it was nothing, Her breathing is rapid at times but then she just exhales deeply and everything is normal again. She also sleeps probably 17 hours a day and she drinks alot and eats alot, Purrs alot too. My other cat had a litter of kittens turn out fine and her water broke 2 days before she went into labor so I am familiar with this just not for this long span of time. So I am wondering has this ever happened to someone else for this amount of time? And what should I expect then? Should I consider Oxytocin anytime soon? Any Information would be greatly apprecitated. Thank-You.
Yes, as admin said, ask your vet to be on the safe side

Sphnxophelia

Lairian
Hey Guys, Thanks for replying. I spoke with her a little while ago and she said that she would see her tomorrow and we may induce her if necassary. She also said that there are Hormones prior to giving birth that will trigger a cat to leak fluid that color and texture as well as clear and greasy fluids with blood in it. And that the water spot could have been her water or it could have been a mucus plug breaking through. I will post some updates when I know what is happening with her. She is acting as if she is going to go into labor now and her kittens are very still when yesterday they were moving around alot which is usually what happens right before birth, Tomorrow we will know for sure.
Thanks Again Guys.

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Glad you reached out to your vet, I looking forward to cute kitten pictures!
Good luck, I hope she has a smooth delivery (y)

Embracing-Joyx4

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hey All,
About 4 days ago now I went out of town for a important Apointment and My Dam was due around the same time- I was weary of leaving her, trust me. When I got home she wasnt laying in her bed and on her blanket there was a liquid spot about the size/quantity of a banana and light pink in color that was damp but not wet so I figured it happened sometime around 5pm that day. I believe this was her water breakage, I have been breeding cats for a while and this is what it looks like to me. I found her underneath my bed in my bedroom and she wasnt in Labor but I expected her to be. Her kittens were very active and her tummy felt tight. She had leaked little drops of fleshy colored mucus around my room, 4 drops that I counted.
Has she delivered yet? She may need a c-section sending prayers your way....I would not let her go to long leaking fluid or just like a human she could have a dry birth which would be very painful. She should get checked out by your vet, for her safety and the babies.

Christina

Sphnxophelia

Lairian
Hey Again, She seen the vet again today and the babies have healthy strong heart-beats and are doing good. They go from being really still to really active so I know they are well myself. The Vet said that we could induce her at anytime but she didnt think it was necessary yet. She said before that the leaking is normal and is caused by hormones that put a cat into labor at the end of her pregnancy and that her water probably didnt break and that it was a mucus plug fluid release. Even if it was her water she said that there was no real danger yet because a kitten is not in her birth canal. She doesnt want to do a C-Section because she doesnt think that needs to be done yet. She said that she has seen a sphynx that delivered perfectly and was pregnant for 79 days! (Long time, I know). She used to breed Sphynx cats herself so she has alot of experience in this field. She basically told me that we could induce her at any time and over-all it was my call but I would love for her to have her kittens completely natural without any help. She said she didnt think that it was needed at the time anyway and that she is basically just over-due and there was no need to worry as much as I am, lol. However on a plus note, My Beautiful baby is having light contractions they could be Braxton Hicks Contractions. Basically the only thing we can do right now is wait for her to deliver them or for something else to happen that would make the vet and I decide otherwise. Sorry, Didnt mean to have anyone worry, Thank-You for all of your awesome wishes and support. I will update when something else happens. And I am sorry for the delay in replying to you all, I have been so busy with this and other things that life calls us in on. Thanks Again and I will talk to you all soon. Mercedes.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Excited and happy for you. What a plus your vet used to breed a Sphynx! That has to ease your mind quite a bit just knowing they have true experience, let us know how it goes!

Patti

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
She went into Labor this afternoon!!! Her Water broke on my bed, lol. She hasnt had any yet but she is having heavy contractions, I know they are doing good too because I felt them move last night before bed. Thanks and I will update!

Best of luck. I hope that everything turns out just fine.
Can't wait to hear the next news and see pics. :)

Sphnxophelia

Lairian
She just finished giving birth to 4 kittens. 2 boys, 2 girls. But it is bad news in the end. Although they were doing good this morning, They all died most probably from the lack of oxygen as she was contracting them into the birth canal. This has been yet another loss for me and I am sorry to you all. I want to thank-you for the support and things you all have said that kept my hope up to the end. Its odd that things could go south that quickly. But nature does take its course in the end. Im shocked and I am feeling bad about choosing not to induce her, if that would have made a difference. Momma is doing ok and she recieved a antibiotic to make sure she doesnt get a infection from any of the fluids. Other than that she is very sleepy and tired out after this long day, Me too. I a going to do the best I can to make these next couple of days and tonight especially comfortable and quiet for my sweetheart. Again, I Thank You All for everything.

GizmosMommy

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
She just finished giving birth to 4 kittens. 2 boys, 2 girls. But it is bad news in the end. Although they were doing good this morning, They all died most probably from the lack of oxygen as she was contracting them into the birth canal. This has been yet another loss for me and I am sorry to you all. I want to thank-you for the support and things you all have said that kept my hope up to the end. Its odd that things could go south that quickly. But nature does take its course in the end. Im shocked and I am feeling bad about choosing not to induce her, if that would have made a difference. Momma is doing ok and she recieved a antibiotic to make sure she doesnt get a infection from any of the fluids. Other than that she is very sleepy and tired out after this long day, Me too. I a going to do the best I can to make these next couple of days and tonight especially comfortable and quiet for my sweetheart. Again, I Thank You All for everything.
How sad :( so sorry to read this

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

Oh NOOO! I'm so sorry to be reading this. How awful. Please don't beat yourself up and blame yourself. You did take her to the vet. This shouldn't have happened. Again I am so sorry.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Big sigh...I am so sorry. You had no idea this was going to happen ...having a vet that bred Sphynx was an ace in your pocket and you followed through on everything. So, knowing that, do not beat yourself up. You did everything right and you have the right attitude and remain positive. Positive thoughts are sent your way as you heal and so does your queen.

Patti

kimmyhm

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So sorry for your loss, please don't blame yourself, losing a litter of kittens is heartbreaking, but you did everything you could so don't beat yourself up over it x

Back