Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Coughing - hacking

Eliz Eleven

Lairian
Hi everyone- so we have had a rough few months. We brought home Lola- she was sicker than the breeder let on- Eye Infection. URI, Giardia - but we got her healthy and thriving.

On the other hand, poor Eleven has had to deal with all the similar issues. We had to put her on a strong triple antibiotic eye drop- and we’ve gone through her THIRD round of Giardia treatment and still waiting on results.

But mainly why I started this thread, and in case anyone else is going through something similar- Eleven’s developed a wretched cough. It’s like a hacking cough. If anyone else is concerned or has gone through something similar, please feel free to reply.

Cough video here :

Now, we have a vet appointment tomorrow (as of course always consult)- and hoping it’s something easily treatable like URI. Really hoping it’s not HCM , Lungworms, or Asthma.

Some notes- switched their litter to Dr. Esley’s Respatory Relief. Added more humidifiers in the house. We don’t use aresol and use all natural cleaning products.

Stay tuned for a vet update.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I’m curious to see what turns up at the vet. I’ll be sending prayers your way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Eliz Eleven positive vibes for the appointment
Be sure to brng the video you shared here-
It seems they never do it when they are at the vets so videos are great to share with your vet

Please keep us updated
Head smooches sent to Eleven
(((Hugs)))) to you

(Years ago my boy was hacking amd turned out to be seasonal allergies - I took the video amd vet immediately said it reverse sneezing .
I was terrified it was heart related -
Vet had me give over the counter Chlortab dosage for his weight .)
All paws crossed nothing serious
Following closely for updates

Any chance Eleven got into and ate something
Are you able to look inside the mouth?

Last edited:

Eliz Eleven

Lairian
So, we had an x-ray... and sad to say it's Asthma. Now, the doctor is confident this could be situational and hopefully not chronic, and we've begun a treatment of steroids and an antibiotic. Fingers crossed.

The x-ray also showed that Eleven has a more "valentine" shaped heart, so we're consulting a radiologist to see if there seem to be any abnormalities. Hoping not.

Eleven has been sluggish and dealing with all sorts of issues these past few months, her energy definitely dropped, and hoping the course of medication will help her thoroughly.
__

ON ANOTHER note, has anyone had experience with probiotics or getting their babies back to normal after antibiotics? Eleven has had a few rounds this year and it would be great to get her flora back to normal.

Also hoping that this thread finds others that may have similar issues so they can find the best
treatment for their babies.

Thanks for all your kind thoughts everyone <3 means a lot.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Positve vibes amd head smooches continue for sweet Eleven.
Glad you got s diagnosis and treatment plan

All paws crossed eoth the heart check .
Following closely for updates

@Duglynukem can you share a pic of the probiotic Cleo has in the morning ?

Duglynukem

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
68880330-E95B-488C-B4C3-5D96BDEC49CA.jpeg
@Eliz Eleven

Cleo has been under the weather lately but this probiotic really helped her following antibiotics.

Last edited by a moderator:

NakidSquad4

Lairian
Thank you SO much for posting this. I will be watching the outcome. Genevieve is on her fourth round of antibiotics in two months and I think it is allergies. There is wheezing when she breathes.

I hope they find a resolution that makes your baby feel better. It is heartbreaking watching them ill.

Eliz Eleven

Lairian
Thank you SO much for posting this. I will be watching the outcome. Genevieve is on her fourth round of antibiotics in two months and I think it is allergies. There is wheezing when she breathes.

I hope they find a resolution that makes your baby feel better. It is heartbreaking watching them ill.
Happy to help anyone that possibly is going through something similar <3 your baby is just precious! I hope you find the cause of her issues - xheck with your vet if she has an upper respiratory infection first. Our other kitten Lola had sneezing/wheezing and it cleared up after a few weeks OFF the antibiotic. Much luck to you!

Eliz Eleven

Lairian
Good update - cardiology came back all OK.

After about a week on antibiotic and steroid, things seem to be getting better. Eleven has more energy and very little cough. We also incorporated some kitty CBD treats to help with additional inflammation (vet OKed) and she seems to really like them.

Our vet ALSO told us we needed to stop burning candles, using palo santo, AND stop using our essential oil diffuser. Makes sense :X3:

Thanks for everyone's kind words and input - and I hope this tread finds those that need it!

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi everyone- so we have had a rough few months. We brought home Lola- she was sicker than the breeder let on- Eye Infection. URI, Giardia - but we got her healthy and thriving.

On the other hand, poor Eleven has had to deal with all the similar issues. We had to put her on a strong triple antibiotic eye drop- and we’ve gone through her THIRD round of Giardia treatment and still waiting on results.

But mainly why I started this thread, and in case anyone else is going through something similar- Eleven’s developed a wretched cough. It’s like a hacking cough. If anyone else is concerned or has gone through something similar, please feel free to reply.

Cough video here :

Now, we have a vet appointment tomorrow (as of course always consult)- and hoping it’s something easily treatable like URI. Really hoping it’s not HCM , Lungworms, or Asthma.

Some notes- switched their litter to Dr. Esley’s Respatory Relief. Added more humidifiers in the house. We don’t use aresol and use all natural cleaning products.

Stay tuned for a vet update.

Hello there !
So sorry you and your babies are going through all this , I hope they bounce back quickly and get back to being their cheeky little selves
Xxx❤️❤️❤️

Eliz Eleven

Lairian

Hi Genevieve! Sorry I fell off the lair! I hope she's feeling better, it's been nearly a year. She's all good now after her round of antibiotics nearly a year ago, probiotics also helped with the aftershock to her system - took a few months to get back to 100, but all good now!

How is your little one doing?!

Back