Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Feline hyperesthesia?

joeturbo26

Lairian
I'd love to hear an update from all the people on this thread who have been affected by FHS...how are they doing?

Roki

Lairian
I'd love to hear an update from all the people on this thread who have been affected by FHS...how are they doing?
Hi Joe. I’m just starting to deal with this with Paris these past few weeks. She hasn’t been “diagnosed” yet; just got a new vet and we are starting with her digestive issues to hopefully ease her inner discomfort. She also might be having problems in her sinus from previous dental surgery. I don’t know if I’d rather deal with IBS/D or FHS... well, neither. Oh, also, she may be developing HCM, as evidenced by her latest scan.

Now I have her on the Hills prescription wet food diet, feeding 3 cans every 2 days (she’s a little skinny, at 6.5 lbs & one 5.5oz can a day isn’t enough for her to maintain weight). After feeding a case & a half of z/d without any weight gain, just switched to d/d = more fat?

I have begun wrapping the last half of her tail with cotton pads or toilet tissue, enwrapped with the stretchy tape that sticks to itself. I’m changing it every other day, or whenever it gets damp if she chews the tip of the tape, or it slips off. She really seems to be happier with it wrapped or if I just hold it gently in my hand, when it’s wrapped, or even unwrapped. So weird. I’m wondering if it’s comforting to her, like a ThunderShirt? The first time I held her tail she looked right into my eyes and started purring, like it was the magic key to stopping whatever urge she had to chew on her tail. She then began to calmly wash her face as I gently held the middle part of her tail for a few minutes. It was such a relief, after a couple of weeks trying to get her not to chew it.

So, X-rays next week, hopefully, to determine any possible sinus/jaw problems that may also be causing her to chew compulsively. Lots to learn. Thanks for sharing.

StacyD

Lairian
My German Shepherd starting chasing his tail at about 6 months, after a set of shots if I remember correctly. He was literally chasing his tail for hours each day. And this problem has continued still today - he is 8 yrs old - but we can redirect him, making him stop and sit, so it is under control. Tiring him out with exercise helps. When company comes over & he is excited he does it more and we have to stop him very often.

Our vet said it was OCD and if we could not redirect him we could try Prozac but we never needed to. He normally chases, but doesn't chew, but about 2 yrs ago started to chew his tail, and did so right to the bone. The vet said it was a hot spot. We put this ointment that the vet gave us and we were instructed to put a sanitary napkin on it lol, which we wrapped in duck tape to his tail. This kept him from licking the medicine off it & also padded it because he was hitting his tail on the walls wagging & reinjuring it.

Our vet asked us if we ever used a laser pointer when playing with him, as this sometimes results in this tail chasing problems in dogs. We never did. But I know laser pointers are a popular toy to play with a cat. Perhaps this should be avoided in cats as well.

Our dogs personality is anxious. As an example: I had a Roombo vacuum but it caused him to be afraid to go around corners in my home and several years later it is still a problem with him. So I could see a med that helps with anxiety helping ease this tail chasing symptom.

We also tried the thundershirt. I don't think it calmed him, but instead seemed to scare him. He would jump on our sofa, which is his exact behavior when he anticipates something bad will happen to him, like ear drops for example. But it does seem to help many.

Good luck to you.

Dublin Riis

Lairian
The vet is not 100% sure that's what it is but they think it is highly likely. He still has the cone on & is able to reach it but so far has only been licking it. It takes some effort for him to get it but he can get it.
Thanks for all the help. I do have bitter apple and going to get rescue remedy or feliway. Thanks so much!!
Yes, sorry its been so long since on the site.
Did you say the tail was amputated a couple inches from the tip? @Jenn.Dios Has the vet first offered to amputate the "entire" tail by leaving the length of a "Boxers" tail? I'm thinking this may(?) cut to the chase, with his cone on. He may find it too difficult to lick at that length if he only has a "nub"