Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Riley likes wet food and only wet food won't touch dry unless I disguise it inside his wet food

Is it crucial that he gets dry?? He eats A lot about 5 pouches a day lol he definitely eats more then Tau did as a kitten or now that his adult lol

Should I add dry to his wet or should I just leave him on wet.

Tau is opposite he prefers dry he will nibble a little on wet.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Riley likes wet food and only wet food won't touch dry unless I disguise it inside his wet food

Is it crucial that he gets dry?? He eats A lot about 5 pouches a day lol he definitely eats more then Tau did as a kitten or now that his adult lol

There are pros and cons to both wet and dry, wet is surely better than the dry in many ways, dehydration issues, lots of fillers - possibly causing weight issues etc. I would leave the kibble available if thats your choice - so as if he ever wants to give it a try. Some do claim kibble helps the teeth, don't get me wrong, you can surly use just dry, however, if the cats water intake is not as needed, it could become an issue. You should always consult with your vet on what the best feeding practices are for your particular cat/s. We feed both wet and dry.

Last edited:

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

I feed wet food once a day, but the dry food is always out for them.
When I brought home Miss Violet, she wanted no part of her dry food (the breeder gave me a small bag). I even tried to add it to her wet food, but she ate around it. Then I used Royal Canin Baby Cat dry food (which I had already bought for her before we brought her home). I put a little bit of the RC in her wet food and she ate it. She now likes dry food!

When I called the breeder to tell her that she won't eat her dry food, she told me to add it to the wet food. Breeder said that I've got to get her to eat it! But again, the dry she was on before I got her...she wouldn't touch. LOL

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Our breeder had warned us Azura got finicky the week before we picked her up. She was the last of her litter to go home so she was not used to eating alone etc and all of a sudden only liked wet. When the litter was there she ate wet and dry...then we got her and she would only eat dry. I slowly introduced dry into the wet. I knew there was no way with our lifestyle we could easily handle an only wet food cat. We often are out and about or get home late. We always left a dry bowl out and after a few weeks we saw her finally grazing the dry ...whew. So depending on your lifestyle and schedule, if you need the conveniece of dry I say slowly add but always have it out. I do think dry is great for the teeth so we are happy with a nice balance wet in morning, dry feed out during the day and wet at night. It is still so early he will catch on to the kibble and enjoy day time snacking :)

patti

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I did the day before add a little to his wet he ate it then but on its own all that happens is Tau ends up eating the kitten dry lol but will keep adding little to his wet and see how it goes

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I did the day before add a little to his wet he ate it then but on its own all that happens is Tau ends up eating the kitten dry lol but will keep adding little to his wet and see how it goes

It took quite a bit of time for Miss Violet to finally dig in to her dry food. The boys would get to it first, but then after she noticed the boys eating dry food (especially her mentor and partner in crime...Simon), she decided that it must be "the thing to do" and she now nibbles on dry food with no problem. :)

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
If I mix it into his wet like I did today he gobbled if up but when on its own hd won't have one piece my fussy boy lol he'll eat everything else lol

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
If I mix it into his wet like I did today he gobbled if up but when on its own hd won't have one piece my fussy boy lol he'll eat everything else lol

Little by little, one day at a time. He'll start eating it.
I really thought that Miss Violet was ONLY going to eat wet food (that's how much she wouldn't touch it). Then all of a sudden, she began to eat it. She's just not much of an eater. I wasn't used to that as the boys as kittens ate a lot at one sitting.

Helsinki

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My kitten is not a huge fan of wet food. Some days she'll eat a decent amount of the portion given, and some days she barely touches it and it goes to waste. She loves her kibble, and it is a good quality kibble. She drinks a lot of water on her own. I'm probably going to end up just giving wet occasionally as a treat, because when I give it every day it's similar to just throwing money down the drain more often than not.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My kitten is not a huge fan of wet food. Some days she'll eat a decent amount of the portion given, and some days she barely touches it and it goes to waste. She loves her kibble, and it is a good quality kibble. She drinks a lot of water on her own. I'm probably going to end up just giving wet occasionally as a treat, because when I give it every day it's similar to just throwing money down the drain more often than not.

Can you try to give her less canned food during one sitting each day?

Helsinki

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Can you try to give her less canned food during one sitting each day?

I've tried, but it still just ends up wasted. Even if she eats the first portion, she very rarely eats the subsequent portions because they're not perfectly "fresh". (And the only wet foods that come in smaller cans around here are kinds that upset her stomach- and the small cans are even less cost effective.) She usually sniffs at wet food like it's poison, and usually only enjoys it if she hasn't eaten it in a day or two. She keeps herself hydrated and her kibble is grain-free and nutritionally complete, so I can't say I see much point to wasting money giving her daily feedings of something she doesn't want to eat. And if she's not in the mood for wet, she won't even eat it in the absence of kibble.

Perhaps I need to do more research, but I find it hard to believe that wet food has less filler than the kibble I feed. I'll have to look it up.

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

That's Tau to a T one day he skoffs it up others day just a nibble and a lot if days he won't touch it

Riley the opposite hell only have wet but he eats and ears he eats far more then Tau has ever eaten lol just won't touch dry

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I've tried, but it still just ends up wasted. Even if she eats the first portion, she very rarely eats the subsequent portions because they're not perfectly "fresh". (And the only wet foods that come in smaller cans around here are kinds that upset her stomach- and the small cans are even less cost effective.) She usually sniffs at wet food like it's poison, and usually only enjoys it if she hasn't eaten it in a day or two. She keeps herself hydrated and her kibble is grain-free and nutritionally complete, so I can't say I see much point to wasting money giving her daily feedings of something she doesn't want to eat. And if she's not in the mood for wet, she won't even eat it in the absence of kibble.

Perhaps I need to do more research, but I find it hard to believe that wet food has less filler than the kibble I feed. I'll have to look it up.

I give Miss Violet soooo little wet food for each serving because she too won't go back to it after it's sat there (even or 5 mins.)! If it's not fresh and warm (as I microwave it), she won't eat it! That's why I have plenty of can covers here. :)

Helsinki

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I give Miss Violet soooo little wet food for each serving because she too won't go back to it after it's sat there (even or 5 mins.)! If it's not fresh and warm (as I microwave it), she won't eat it! That's why I have plenty of can covers here. :)

I have can covers too, and have tried warming it up. Somehow, she just knows. :/

Back