Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Is sunblock or sunscreen safe for my sphynx cat?

kitten

Lairian
I am grateful for all the helpful info. :)
I found this online but am not finding it on this website. Does anyone know if this is an accepted sunscreen??
"A homemade cat safe recipe was found on Sphynxlair.com: The recipe is

6 Tbs almond oil, 3 Tbs shea butter, 1 tsp beeswax, 1 tsp soy-lecithin, 2 Tbs aloe vera gel, 2 Tbs rose water, 3-5 drops coconut oil (optional, for fragrance). Melt oils, butters and beeswax in a double boiler over low heat, only until melted. Add the soya-lethicin, stir until mixed. Remove from heat. Warm the aloe vera and rose water. While still warm, put the water mix over ice, drizzle in the oil mixture while stirring rapidly with a small whisk. Should cream quickly. Add coconut fragrance oil if desired, Mix well, store in a clean, airtight jar."
Thanks!

Sa-hair-a's Mom

Lairian
I live in Florida and the weather has just started to get real hot. I got my 8 year old Sphynx rescue in the Fall so I haven't experienced summer months with her yet. Her new habit is to curl up in the window when the sun is at its hottest. Do i need to worry about a sunburn or will she stop before she hurts herself? She is a light tan and her skin got a little pink after being in window but went away. What would a sunburn look like on them?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Sa-hair-a's Mom Congrats on your new baby! Kudos for rescuing them. There is no known safe sun block for cats as they clean themselves and sunscreens are toxic. Some people adhere tinting to windows that their cats lay in often. Lighter colored cats are more susceptible to burning just like in people.

Patti

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Sa-hair-a's Mom , I am also in Florida.. I don't have any pics of sun burning or changing color..

I don't let them sit in the Sunny front window. I put down the blinds or close th curtains (cord wrapped alway on top made short to avoid kitty playing /and or hazard)

Then I redirect train to a window that has no direct sunlight with lots of things to watch outside.. Butterflies, hummingbird feeders to see. (I make my own sugar water 5 cups water To 1 cup sugar no coloring- boiled in microwave then cooled in fridge) it gives something to watch and I enjoy too! We have hummingbirds visit the feeders non stop all day.

I reward immediately with a treat when he goes to this shade protected window. I leave a few treats on this marble window ledge. I fold a small towel on the ledge with a couple of treats on it to make it a warm place to sit.

I have had no sunburn or change of color issues. We have a screened in pool lanai..
I used to let ^yoda^ supervised out with me there to chase lizards and play for very very short periods several times a day. She would often sit on the warm spa cover to watch the hummingbirds at the feeder I set up for her by the shaded covered area of the lanai enclosure.

We never had any sunburn issues and did not need apply any sunscreen.
Poor thing had every other health issue except sunburn.

Hope this helps

Harebrainedgrrl

Lairian
A couple of summers ago the pet store I worked for had a sunscreen for dogs. I am not sure if it would be safe for cats, but it's the only thing I can think of it was manufactured by GNC's pet line

angela1974

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
A couple of summers ago the pet store I worked for had a sunscreen for dogs. I am not sure if it would be safe for cats, but it's the only thing I can think of it was manufactured by GNC's pet line
From my experience I know that this topic has come up quite a few times. Any sunscreen is NOT okay to use for sphynx cats.

Tasha2511

Lairian
I know this is rather an old thread, but it came as an interest to me. My old cat (recently passed away due to cancer - anal glands), was mostly white. His ears had no fur at all. We used to use sun block for babies on his - vet advice. Because in the sun, his ears used to blister (poor thing).
Anyway, read this whole thread, and googled few things:

Here is what I found, not sure how useful this is all for you.

Sunscreen Without Zinc Oxide

Aniwell Filta Clear Sunblock From £7.80 | Waitrose Pet

Petkin Sunscreen Spray for Dogs SPF15

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I know this is rather an old thread, but it came as an interest to me. My old cat (recently passed away due to cancer - anal glands), was mostly white. His ears had no fur at all. We used to use sun block for babies on his - vet advice. Because in the sun, his ears used to blister (poor thing).
Anyway, read this whole thread, and googled few things:

Here is what I found, not sure how useful this is all for you.

Sunscreen Without Zinc Oxide

Aniwell Filta Clear Sunblock From £7.80 | Waitrose Pet

Petkin Sunscreen Spray for Dogs SPF15
I looked a t a few products on that site and see many do have zinc oxide, I didn't spend too much time looking at all of them. On that note I would reach out to any sunscreen manafacturer - sunscreen for pet or human providers directly (email or call with questions) to see if their product contains harmful ingredients for a cat specifically. The issue is not the contact of the cream on the skin usually, its the fact that cats clean and lick themselves and ingest the product that makes these creams toxic. Also, ALWAYS check with your vet first. I am still weary of any "safe" pet screens. :)

Izidora

Lairian
Wow I am super worried now - I did not mean to use sunblock on my sphynx in the first place, but now I don't know what to do when the summer starts because we leave the window open, otherwise they would die of overheating as we're on the top floor and it gets really hot....I thought the sphynxes can determine on their own when it's enough sun for them, but as I can se my only option is the sun shade protection to put on glass? yet if I put it the windows have to be closed so we go back to overheating again. If I leave the windows open (we have a protection net of course) they will go out in the sun....and putting a clothes on them during the summer while outside it's +30 celsius? Oh no...won't that be too much heat and sweating and all?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Wow I am super worried now - I did not mean to use sunblock on my sphynx in the first place, but now I don't know what to do when the summer starts because we leave the window open, otherwise they would die of overheating as we're on the top floor and it gets really hot....I thought the sphynxes can determine on their own when it's enough sun for them, but as I can se my only option is the sun shade protection to put on glass? yet if I put it the windows have to be closed so we go back to overheating again. If I leave the windows open (we have a protection net of course) they will go out in the sun....and putting a clothes on them during the summer while outside it's +30 celsius? Oh no...won't that be too much heat and sweating and all?
Just a thought, they make all sorts of mesh with UV ray protection type products mostly made for cars but I see there are different size options that may suit your needs for a home window. Lets the air in but blocks the harmful sun rays and the cats can still sit in window and see outside. just a thought, I just Googled it and found a few options. :)

Screen Shot 2017-03-26 at 5.18.39 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-26 at 5.18.53 AM.png

Izidora

Lairian
Didn't get to your message until now! Thanks, I'll definitely check this out as this is the option that would be satisfying :)

PetitePuce

Lairian
I took Kojak with me to the South of France last year and did a lot of research on sunscreen before I headed out on our vacation. All the research I did pretty much resulted in finding out there are no sunscreens out there for cats (or at least none that I wanted to risk using). Since Kojak and I were going to be vacationing for more than a month, I wanted to be sure I could protect him from the sun as much as possible. I purchased several UV protected long sleeved T-Shirts which he wore all the time and I also had a couple of cute little baseball caps custom made to protect the top of his head since he loves to sunbathe in the window (not on the beach!). He's a trooper and loves to wear clothes so that was a big help - not to mention he was looking very stylish in his little baseball caps! We got a lot of laughs along our journey. LOL

His ears and tail were exposed the most but we didn't have any problems. Kojak loves to go for walks so I try to limit his outdoor excursions to late afternoons or early evenings when the sun isn't shining too much.

PetitePuce

Lairian
I'll upload some pictures this weekend of Kojak wearing his little ball caps. Some say "adorable" - some say "ridiculous"... I say "Who cares" - I feel better protecting his little head when he wants to hang out in the garden chasing after bugs or is just lounging around in the warm sun.

Jackie Rose

Lairian
Thank you all. I have just moved to Spain. And we have a roof terrace, this thread just answered all my questions about letting tootsie out there. We have just finished cat proofing it so they can't jump over. (just the thought was enough to give us nightmares) So I will now make sure plenty of shade and only briefly for him. Again thank you. Xxxxx
As a post script to the above. Having moved from the UK, this is all something that I have never had to think about.

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Bojangles10 , so glad you are finding the community a valuable resource :)

Definitely no sunblock om my crew either

Some members put on window tint on their sunbathing Windows

AJSears

Lairian
I use Dermoscent SunFREE sunblock made for CATS and dogs. My stud Niko goes to the pool with me once a week all summer. I let him out and tell him "Time to go" and he runs up and jumps on the back of my chair (where he gets his harness and sunblock on) with a big smile on his face! One cat out on the deck with 6-8 old ladies that love him and all want to hold him. Life is good! SunFREE

Back