Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

kitten got sick eating chicken neck

PetitePuce

Lairian
Kojak has been eating a raw diet for several weeks now and adapted to the change in diet with no problems. I'm using Better in the raw and a high-end ground turkey as well as ground chicken from time-to-time.

My dinner plans this evening involves roasting a chicken. I thought this would be a great opportunity for me to introduce Kojak to a chicken neck. I removed the neck from the pack of goodies inside the chicken and rinsed it well before giving it to Kojak. He took to the neck very nicely and was eating it just fine when all of the sudden he abruptly stopped and then threw up. (he wasn't eating like a crazy cat - he was just causually enjoying his snack, so I don't think he got sick cause he ate too much - too fast). Based on the amount of neck he ate, I would say that he threw up pretty much what he ate. After he got sick, he had no interest in eating more chicken.

Was I supposed to do something to the chicken before giving it to him to snack on?

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
If we give our boys too big a piece and it's kinda hard they will regurgitate it to chew it so more.. Kinda gross to watch.

How big was the neck and was it bony? You can crush up the bones a bit before you give to them.. If it's raw they shouldn't splinter and cause problems. There is a hammer thing or a cleaver you can use for this

PetitePuce

Lairian
The neck was on the larger size so perhaps breaking it down a bit would be helpful - I'll give it another try in the future. He did seem to enjoy the experience before he got sick.

Thanks for the suggestion.

PetitePuce

Lairian
Well... I made another attempt with the chicken snack and he didn't get sick the second time. Like most of you have suggested, I think he was planning on eating what he threw up, but I was too freaked out by that and prevented him from doing so. He ate the second chicken neck with no problem and seemed like a happy kitty when all said and done! Chicken necks are back on the menu! (y)

Helen

Lairian
I think us humans naturally freak out.
a) We are going against a well established norm when it comes to feeding domestic animals.
I have nobody in my offline social circle I can talk with about 'things' the odd things, the things which make you worry or the out and out disgusting things.
b) we adore our babies and panic

I actually called the emergency vet for my dog two days ago, tuned out because I am feeding comercial raw and it has veg added in I need to up the percentage so the loud grumbling of his gastro system and general moodiness was hunger. How stupid do I feel? But I was following the instructions and the general understanding that with raw you feed 2-3% of there body weight.

I even had the dogs sleep in bed with me so I could check he was okay in the night, all this was happening at 2am.
Thank goodness for online communities, and our inner bravery and persistence that we are making good choices for our dependent friends.

Back