Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Math cat is sick, day two at the vet

TheTopaz

Lairian
Math seemed fine yesterday until he started violently throwing up around noon, which triggered him to collapse and start uncontrollably pooping.

We ran to the emergency vet and they told us his HCM had probably advanced into congestive heart failure and this was a "near death experience" he had survived. We were there for hours as they ran tests, he got some pills and we went home together. He hide all day in his bed, our younger sphynx Carbon is clearly upset too and we both keep checking on Math through out the evening.

This morning the vet called and said they got a second opinion on his x-rays and now it looks like he might have cancer in the abdomen (hard to tell because on the x-ray there is too much fluid in the region to see). We are in the vets office now, more tests.

This is his last picture before he started getting symptoms, and more can be @mathandcarboncat on IG.
Screen Shot 2016-01-09 at 11.27.12 AM.png

This is really hard, you don't want him to suffer but you also don't know how bad he feels because cats are good at hiding that sort of thing.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Math seemed fine yesterday until he started violently throwing up around noon, which triggered him to collapse and start uncontrollably pooping.

We ran to the emergency vet and they told us his HCM had probably advanced into congestive heart failure and this was a "near death experience" he had survived. We were there for hours as they ran tests, he got some pills and we went home together. He hide all day in his bed, our younger sphynx Carbon is clearly upset too and we both keep checking on Math through out the evening.

This morning the vet called and said they got a second opinion on his x-rays and now it looks like he might have cancer in the abdomen (hard to tell because on the x-ray there is too much fluid in the region to see). We are in the vets office now, more tests.

This is his last picture before he started getting symptoms, and more can be @mathandcarboncat on IG.
View attachment 65022

This is really hard, you don't want him to suffer but you also don't know how bad he feels because cats are good at hiding that sort of thing.
Sorry to hear of this issue. Sending Lair prayers Math's way.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@TheTopaz so sorry to hear about the situation of Marth. Hopefully the vet can give him something so he starts feeling a little better. It must be hard to see him being so sick. All you can do is give him all your love and care.
Sending a lot of healing vibes Math's way!

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Bless his heart, and yours. How sad, I'm so sorry.
Heart breaking. I sure will pray for you both.
That's most important, that he doesn't suffer. I know you
have his best interest, in your heart.
Keep us updated about your baby.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Lair prayers are sent. Know we are here for you and we all understand the love and bond we all have with these amazing babies. Hopefully the vet can make Math comfortable and ease your stress a bit.

Patti

Yoda mom

Staff member
@TheTopaz , please know we are here for you and sending lots of prayers and head smooches to handsome Math-
Extra smooches sent to Carbon too - hard when their buddies aren't feeling well.
I know Math is surrounded by sooo much love ..
(((Hugs)))

TheTopaz

Lairian
@Yoda mom @Xandria @Catzzzmeow @Hairless Blessing @Toa and Ross @admin
Thank you so much everyone, your kindness made me tear up a little! It has been a rough last few days.

Miraculously Math cat got better and at today's vet visit they said he some of his test negative results may have been due to the stress of almost dying.

We will be back at the vet's office in a few days to double check on him. Math cat is not 100% better because of his heart issues but a huge improvement from yesterday. What a difference 48 hours can make!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@TheTopaz that is wonderful news. Gives you time and that is precious. Especially knowing your baby is not suffering.Personally I like to think there is nothing like the power of Lair Prayers. Take it one day at a time and spoil that baby rotten.
hugs,

Patti

Last edited:

TheTopaz

Lairian
@TheTopaz ,Checking in on Math - sending continued feel good head smooches!

He is hanging in there! Math has definitely been spoiled lately with love and treats.

I think his health is failing, it's very hard for me to watch. He is meowing excessively for what seems like no apparent reason and not making it to the litter box all the time. Been trying to calm him with lots of affection, the vet seems to think he is not suffering and said its probably all related to his heart. But knowing if they are suffering seems like a grey-area in cat health? Hard to know if I am doing the right thing.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I feel as though since he's meowing all the time, something is wrong.
I'm no Vet, but, cats doesn't just meow all the time for no reason.
Does he eat and sprinkles he per and poo?
You say he doesn't make it to the litter box all the time?
Is it necessary he's to weak or it's diarrhea?

1sphynxlover

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My heart breaks for you. It is so heart wrenching when our babies are ill. My precious Pinky, passed away recently due to heart issues. Think everyday you have with him is a gift from God. I know, I tried to make each day for Pinky, the greatest she had. Loving him and spoiling him rotten is the greatest gift you can give him. You both are in my prayers.

TheTopaz

Lairian
I feel as though since he's meowing all the time, something is wrong.
I'm no Vet, but, cats doesn't just meow all the time for no reason.
Does he eat and sprinkles he per and poo?
You say he doesn't make it to the litter box all the time?
Is it necessary he's to weak or it's diarrhea?

Math is having issues making it in time to the box, but not always - like once a day. No diarrhea. He is eating/drinking normally for him, which is good.

He is not moving much from his bed since Jan 21st, which is unlike him. And when we carry him to his favorite spot on the couch he gets very upset and tries desperately to go back to his bed, and then does this strange run, it looks like he is drunk - legs in the back are not stable. I am now thinking he can no longer walk normally and to compensate he is running? He is an old, lethargic cat and this is the first time I have ever even seen him run this quickly. I am going to contact the vet again today, they warned us of the signs of congested heart failure and what to look for - I am concerned his new, strange walk might be related to that. :(

So much meowing.

TheTopaz

Lairian
My heart breaks for you. It is so heart wrenching when our babies are ill. My precious Pinky, passed away recently due to heart issues. Think everyday you have with him is a gift from God. I know, I tried to make each day for Pinky, the greatest she had. Loving him and spoiling him rotten is the greatest gift you can give him. You both are in my prayers.

So sorry about Pinky! This gauntlet of health issues feels like "advanced" Sphynx ownership, I wasn't ready yet but I guess nobody is. Thank you for your kind words.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Oh man, it is so hard to see such big changes in our babies. Often meowing can be due to pain. Glad you are reaching out for your vet. Lair Prayers are sent.

Patti

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Math is having issues making it in time to the box, but not always - like once a day. No diarrhea. He is eating/drinking normally for him, which is good.

He is not moving much from his bed since Jan 21st, which is unlike him. And when we carry him to his favorite spot on the couch he gets very upset and tries desperately to go back to his bed, and then does this strange run, it looks like he is drunk - legs in the back are not stable. I am now thinking he can no longer walk normally and to compensate he is running? He is an old, lethargic cat and this is the first time I have ever even seen him run this quickly. I am going to contact the vet again today, they warned us of the signs of congested heart failure and what to look for - I am concerned his new, strange walk might be related to that. :(

So much meowing.

Bless his heart. I'm very sorry. I will be praying for him and you.
Please keep us updated about him.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@TheTopaz , Please know you and Math are in my continued thoughts and prayers for strength and comfort -
They really do steal our hearts and count on us for selfless love on our incredible journey together.
"Pawspice" as I have known in my heart and soul can be such an emotional road of that love
Extra snuggles ,soft kisses sent and (((hugs))) to you both..

Back