Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Should I spay or neuter my sphynx cat?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Reasons for spaying/neutering

• Greatly reduces behavioral problems like spraying in both male and female cats.
  • Cats that are altered live longer lives according to statistics.
  • Neutered male cats live 40% longer lives than those not neutered.
  • Female cats if not spayed and not bred can develop Pyometra which is an infection of the uterus and can be fatal.
  • Female cats that are spayed can't get uterine cancers and the risk of mammary cancer is reduced by 25%.
  • Spayed female cats are less likely to get urinary tract infections.
  • Male cats can't get testicular cancer if neutered and helps reduce prostate issues.
  • Male cats that are not neutered develop the strong desire to get out of homes when they know a female cat in the neighborhood is in heat. There is also a strong likelihood of the male cat howling, being aggressive toward owners and other pets in the home and the potential of them slipping out of the house increases.
  • Altering your cat reduces the risk of an "accidental" pregnancy.
Things to remember when having a Sphynx spayed or neutered:

• Always be sure the vet does not use Ketamine, this particular anesthesia can be fatal to a sphynx cat that has hidden/underlying heart issues.
  • Some breeders will spay/neuter at a very young age before the kitten goes to their new home. If not altered, then a good rule of thumb is 6 months or 5 lbs whichever comes first.
  • If you are thinking of microchipping your cat, doing it during the spay/neutering is a perfect time while they are already under anesthesia

Last edited by a moderator:

azolivas

Lairian
I know we need to spay our Luna but I am so nervous about it! I know it's routine and a common procedure but I always think of negative outcomes! She is 4 months old and approx 4lbs right now so there is some time but still it is on my mind!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@azolivas , i was nervous too with my kitten Yoda . (my girl even had a known heart issue.) I talked with my vet and confirmed NO Ketamine . My vet used isoflurane and she did fine. my kitties have alway done good with spay/neuters on isoflurane. talk with her vet for peace of mind. my girl didnt even need a cone and healed fine. hugs n head smooches

azolivas

Lairian
@azolivas , i was nervous too with my kitten Yoda . (my girl even had a known heart issue.) I talked with my vet and confirmed NO Ketamine . My vet used isoflurane and she did fine. my kitties have alway done good with spay/neuters on isoflurane. talk with her vet for peace of mind. my girl didnt even need a cone and healed fine. hugs n head smooches
Thank you for the replies! Luna is currently in heat and we made an appointment tomorrow to begin discussing getting her spayed! Thank you all again for the reassurance!!!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@azolivas , hugs n head smooches adorable Luna.. all paws are family. keep us updated on the vet appt tmrw..
***be sure to have chart marked **NO Ketamine anesthesia.

azolivas

Lairian
@azolivas , hugs n head smooches adorable Luna.. all paws are family. keep us updated on the vet appt tmrw..
***be sure to have chart marked **NO Ketamine anesthesia.
Will do thank you! I remember the vet saying that when she does get spayed that a few weeks before surgery they will do lab work and other tests to make sure her heart can withstand the anesthesia. I’m assuming that is common with the Sphynx breed? Also what can I do right now to help her at home while in heat? Thx again!!!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@azolivas , I had to wait it out with my yoda girl. she did have pre surgery blood work (but she did have a known terrible heart condition) . she did well with isoflurane anesthesia.

hugs n head smooches team Luna

azolivas

Lairian
Luna's bloodwork is Tuesday February 22 with surgery tentatively set for Thursday February 24 if all is well with the bloodwork. The receptionist said they don't use ketamine but will also note in in her chart that I said no ketamine. I am ready to do this as she has been quite the pain this weekend but I am nervous as heck! I know it's a routine surgery but still I am scared! Thank you again for the kind thoughts and suggestions!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@azolivas , thanks for keep us updated on Luna. glad you have bloodwork scheduled and confirmed and marked chart no ketamine. also, if you are going to microchip, during spay is a good time. if you do, just make sure to contact chip company directly to confirm registration completed paid and correct info. my vet uses home again. gives me the chip info and then I call and pay the one time registration fee.
I did ask my vet ahead of time the after care instructions. my girl did not get sent home with a cone. members have used a soft cone (looks like a flower) and a onsies during healing. ask what pain meds and or antibiotics sent home with.

hugs n headsmooches... all paws are family... we are here for you and baby Luna.

azolivas

Lairian
Luna went in for her bloodwork today and we will get the results tomorrow if there are any issue. She is still scheduled for Thursday 8am to get her EKG and then surgery. I triple checked about the ketamine and they assured me that they do not use that drug. So far so good. I feel better after todays appointment. So one more day! Thank you again for your support! Here is Luna sticking her tongue out at me after her bloodwork!
Luna tongue.jpeg

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
You are doing a great job making sure she is good to go for surgery. I will be looking for updates. Just a heads up after bloodwork there can be some nasty bruising so don’t panic after you remove the bandages if it looks ugly. Positive vibes keep going her way.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@azolivas , hugs n positive vibe head smooches team luna. kudos to you for being proactive. I also asked vet before surgery after care instructions, if goes home with cone, meds. my girl did not go home with a cone and did just fine. kept her in my bedroom and curtailed any jumping. some members use the soft flower cone / and or a onsie during healing. keep us updated adorable Team Luna. My vet also had tech call me during surgery to give me updates.

azolivas

Lairian
Bloodwork came back fine and she is good to go for 8am check in! She has one more hour to eat until she is cutoff at 10pm! That’s gonna be hard tomorrow morning as she usually eats around 6am and she is going to wonder why we aren’t feeding her! She does have bruises from the bloodwork but it hasn’t stopped her from jumping and playing as usual! Thank you again for the kind words and support! Poor Luna has no idea what’s going to happen tomorrow morning and that makes me feel bad!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
So glad you got the green light. I know the missing of morning breakfast routine LOL…she will be miserable and let you know it. I also know you will be stressing today until she is home again. Good luck and thanks again for updating. @azolivas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

azolivas

Lairian
Luna is home and it’s like she never went in for surgery! The vet told me she as soon as she woke up she immediately was active and wanting to play. They called her the crazy cat! When I brought her home it was business as usual and she is showing no signs of pain or lethargy. I’m fact they gave her a dose of gabapentin and gave us some for home because they wanted to make sure she calmed down but it hasn’t slowed her down. Complete opposite of what I was expecting! I will report back later and let you know if anything changed! Thank you again for the support!

azolivas

Lairian
Good morning! Wow one would never thought that she had surgery! This cat is back to business as usual. She slept throughout the night and woke up this morning hungry and ready to play! Gave her the onsior pill mixed in her wet food, she played for about an hour and then went back to bed. She has not been picking at her incision or showing any other signs of pain or discomfort. She has also pooped and peed on schedule with no constipation or diarrhea. I am amazed at how fast things went back to normal. I thank you all again for the support. I am so glad to have this chapter closed! Thank you again!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• C2CF98E8-99DB-4FA1-9B78-A07309883778.jpeg
    C2CF98E8-99DB-4FA1-9B78-A07309883778.jpeg
    13 KB · Views: 55

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@azolivas so happy she is feeling well. Be sure she doesn’t overdo it on the crazy playtime antics for a few days so no setbacks. I know with we humans we usually feel good the day after surgery, over do it and pay for it the next day. I know I am guilty of it lol.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@azolivas , happy hugs n head smooches to baby Luna. my girl never missed a beat either or bothered incision. I had to make sure she didnt over do it.

how is Luna tonight?

azolivas

Lairian
Good morning!

Day 2 and Luna is doing well! The only thing I noticed was that her meow seems to be a little weaker since after the surgery on Thursday but was informed it could take a few days due to the breathing tube irritating the throat. She meows just fine but it just seems weaker/meeker than before. Of course this is me being a worried dad as this is my little girl! She continues to eat, poop, pee, play and is not irritating her incision. She has one more day of the onsior pill and gabapentin if she needs it to calm down in order to rest. Thank you again for thinking of us. I am so relieved that this chapter is over. I have been worried about this since the day we brought her home on November 19. I knew this day would come when she would need to have surgery and I am a worry wort and always over analyzing things! You guys have helped me immensely! Thank you !!!!!

Attachments

• 1EAD8D7C-F485-481D-B420-99FEE47B6446.jpeg
    1EAD8D7C-F485-481D-B420-99FEE47B6446.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 46
Back