Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx Food - recommendations

HybridSphynx

Lairian
I know alot of you sphynx parents like ot avoid the grain included foods and i recently found out why lol. I was going to switch over to Taste of the wild for felines but the store I went to only had The fish and salmon kind of Taste of wild for felines. I'm not sure if she is but i was told that Illusion is allergic to fish oil. She got a fish oil treat the other day from one of my cats according to my mom and she didnt have a reaction so im still unsure. but anways i like to go with Chicken or beef foods for her. I want to switch over to a non grain food. What do you feed your sphynx babies that they like. Sooo let me know :D i'd love to hear what foods you guys have chosen ^_^ thanks.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Today I just brought back taste of wild Rocky Mountain green bag cat food- I barely could get them to touch it. When they finally try a little- I ended up cleaning barf every day- they barfed TOTW canned food too.. It just didn't work for us- even my bengal barfed it- Sigh.

I know some kitties eat it fine- just didn't work for us - it was a good deal at 26.99 a bag priced matched at petsupermarket from a local feed store.

Sticking with Lifes Abundance auto shipped directly for $38 for 16.5 lbs - (much cheaper than at speciality shop) I change the auto ship dates without any hassles on line or even with a phone call at the last minute.

Feeding lifes abundance auto shipped for over 3 years with no problems and has not been recalled like many diamond made products-

Not sure why TOTW didn't agree with my nekkids.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
We feed Science Diet which does have grain in it's ingredients. Our cats, both, have never had any health issues nor have we ever encountered poo issues with either sphynx. :)

From Hillspet.com Website

Grain free cat foods are currently very popular. But are they really healthier for your cat than other types of cat foods? Let’s take a closer look at that question.

grain-free_cat.jpg

While it is true that many cats do well on grain free foods, it is also true that these foods were developed more in response to consumer (i.e., human) preference than to the actual nutritional needs of our cats.

Nutritionally, the most important aspect of a cat food is whether the food provides complete and balanced nutrition. If the food contains excesses or deficiencies of specific nutrients, the cat will suffer as a result. This concept is true regardless of whether the food contains grains or not.

Each ingredient provides a unique set of nutrients to the overall makeup of the cat food. Together, the ingredients need to combine to provide a complete nutrient profile for your cat, without any excesses or deficiencies that can cause illness for your cat. It is certainly possible for grain free foods to provide this type of complete nutrition for your cat. However, these foods are not the only option, or even necessarily the best option, for each individual cat. There is no one nutrition or type of cat food that is perfect for all cats. In other words, no cat food is a one-size-fits-all nutritional solution.

Does Grain Free Mean Carb Free?

Another popular feeding concept that often seems to go hand in hand with feeding grain free cat food is the feeding of a high protein, low carbohydrate cat food. High protein, low carbohydrate cat foods do have their place, particularly in the feeding of diabetic cats. However, it is important not to assume that a grain free nutrition is a low carbohydrate cat food. In fact, some grain free cat foods contain carbohydrate levels similar to or even higher than cat foods containing grains. In many grain free foods, ingredients such as potatoes replace the grains in the food and often these ingredients have more carbohydrates than the common grains used in cat food. As a result, grain free and low carbohydrate cat foods are not always synonymous with one another.

For the complete article on what grain free cat food, really is, visit petMD.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I have read on several grain free publications also. So, their not all bad. Now cheap not good food I would
stay away from.
I feed Izmae Nutro max cat dry, roasted chicken.
But, I do feed Wellness wet, turkey grain free.
I did use Blue Buffalo spa select, but, they discontinued it and I had to switch to Wellness.
I have never had a issue with her and she's as healthy as a cat can be.
Royal Canin, is a good food wet and dry, also, and it's not grain free. But, a good food.
Most breeders us it. I gave it to Izmae until she got one yr. old. I still would But, the next store that
carries it, is like 45 min. away from me.
When, other type foods are local, go figure.

HybridSphynx

Lairian
oh wow okay so, so far theres :

Taste of the wild: Feline
Life's Abundance
Science Diet
Nutro Max
Royal Canin
Wellness
and
Blue Buffalo Spa

okay i will give these all a try. So far Friskies is working and im having no problems but actual oily skin problems. I think.... im not even sure if shes that oily lol she doesnt feel oily just peach fuzzy kinda. lol

HybridSphynx

Lairian
my elder cat Domino (hes 13 years old and still going but missing the box every other week when he pees even with a lid on it) got crystals in his urinary tract when he was about 3 -5 years old, we were told to put him on science diet so we did but it was like way to expensive to continue to keep buying for him, we ended up switching back to the cheap foods and he hasnt had a problem since. Although im planning on taking all of my cats in for a check up at the vet so i can make sure that everyone is healthy and up to par. :)

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I would go for the best quality food you can afford.

How is her poop on Friskies? Sphynx are notorious for having sensitive tummies and friskies has a lot of questionable ingredients that might cause runny poop.

Instead of trying them all I'd use the recommendations as a starting point and do some research on them and others yourself and find one you like the look of based on reviews and ingredients :)

Dallassummer

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I've tried a bunch of food. When I first rescued Simba his "breeder" had him on Meow Mix. His poor tummy had bad diaherria. I switched him to Wellness Core Turkey and Duck ($48 for 12lbs) and he did great. I then tried Merrick Chicken since it is cheaper ($35 for 11lbs) but they didn't like it as much. Now they are on Nature's Variety Instinct Rawboost Turkey and Duck ($54 for 11.3lbs) It has freeze dried raw bites in it. I want to switch them to raw once I get my own house so this stuff kinda prepares them for it. It like it best for the wholesomeness. But all of this food is more expensive than Science Diet I believe. Go with whatever you can afford. Merrick is reasonably affordable with good ingredients and it is grain free. It is sold at Petco mostly.

Reina

Lairian
We had to do a bit of experimenting to find the 'right' food and even though it is expensive, I care more about his health than spending the few extra dollars. We do orijen kitten and cat with half a can of tiki cat wet food in the morning and at night.

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I used to feed Frida the wellness grain free turkey. She did ok on it but would still have bouts of the runs and her poo could clear the house with its stank. Now I feed bone in raw. It is a bit more work as there is a lot of carefull portioning and ratios, but is actually cheaper overall and her poos are perfect now. You can hardly smell them at all. Lol I never thought I would have such fond thoughts about cat poo!

Bobbafett

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My breeder fed my girls the Royal Canin Sphynx.

I noticed one of my girls was really putting on the weight, and when I read the ingredient list it was sure clear why!

It was like $50 for a 8lb bag, and no where in town sold it, so we had to go to the city to buy it.

They're now on blue wilderness chicken, and the one has slimmed back down.

Same price for a bigger bag and no by products or corn!

SassyTheSphynx

Lairian
I use Inova kitten formula with sassy and it's amazing! It helped her put on weight when she was under :)
It comes in hard food and also canned soft/wet food.
I HIGHLY recommend it. :)

Crinkuls

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
One of mine is allergic to so many things as well as having the calici virus. Corn, rice,wheat,barley,soya, many airborne things....trees,grasses,seeds the list is endless. I have put them both on James Wellbeloved cereal free down 24/7 and they share a very small tin of cereal free wet food for supper before bed. No treats at all.

Tiffany_Kay

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We are trying a new food.... it's the new Purina One Beyond. We got the grain free. The cats loved it so now I hope they can have more solid poops, and Izzy stop throwing up :/

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
my elder cat Domino (hes 13 years old and still going but missing the box every other week when he pees even with a lid on it) got crystals in his urinary tract when he was about 3 -5 years old, we were told to put him on science diet so we did but it was like way to expensive to continue to keep buying for him, we ended up switching back to the cheap foods and he hasnt had a problem since. Although im planning on taking all of my cats in for a check up at the vet so i can make sure that everyone is healthy and up to par. :)

Cats on dry food are susceptible to crystals in their urine because they don't get enough water. If you are choosing between canned or dry, go with canned.

HybridSphynx

Lairian
hmm i fed my elder cat dry food he got really bad runs but then again it was friskies so probably not good. I will try canned food from Taste of the wild.

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Taste of the wild is definitely a higher quality food, but remember to change gradually between foods or the switch itself can lead to the runs :)

Whenever we switch, we do it over 5-7 days.. slowly mixing in more and more of the new food.

Back