Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Toilet training outside?

Kodama

Lairian
Hi, this is my first time posting here. I am a very experienced pet owner and have owned many dogs, cats, reptiles, horses and farm animals and I live in England.
I’m seriously considering purchasing a Sphynx but I have one question - is it possible to train a Sphynx to go to the toilet outside?
I would have no problem of a kitty litter tray but I know my husband wouldn’t be happy with the idea of a litter tray in our small home so I fear it may be a make or break with my dream of owning a Sphynx... any advice would be much appreciated.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Kodama welcome!
Personally I don’t recommend outside potty training .. too much to risk imho..
Getting lost , stolen , vulnerable to traffic and other critters ...

You could look at google search “litter box hacks “
Many are simple and inexpensive to make ..
I made a window bench litterbox hack years ago ..
Some even are made out of end tables

Here are some examples .. there are many more

Be sure to check out the sphynx info center. For lots of great threads on sphynx life :)
Keep us updated ! Jump in and enjoy this fun friendly bunch :)

** be sure to check out the reputable breeder link and fraud tips link in the info center too

Kodama

Lairian
@Kodama welcome!
Personally I don’t recommend outside potty training .. too much to risk imho..
Getting lost , stolen , vulnerable to traffic and other critters ...

You could look at google search “litter box hacks “
Many are simple and inexpensive to make ..
I made a window bench litterbox hack years ago ..
Some even are made out of end tables

Here are some examples .. there are many more

Be sure to check out the sphynx info center. For lots of great threads on sphynx life :)
Keep us updated ! Jump in and enjoy this fun friendly bunch :)

** be sure to check out the reputable breeder link and fraud tips link in the info center too
Thank you for the response! The one thing we have going for us is that we’re quite a walk away from the nearest roads as we live at the back of the farm and don’t have any neighbours near to make theft a threat. My main concerns are the likelihood of him/her wondering off but I’m wondering if they’d be best pleased to come back indoors to the cosy inside?
Thank you very much for the link! I’ll look into it. I’ve wanted Sphynx for years, it’d be a dream come true to actually own one but I wouldn’t want to own one if I couldn’t sufficiently give them what they needed. Thanks again

Sheldon13

Staff member
Dogs are trapped in a yard with a fence for the most part. For cats it’s just way too easy to escape if they get scared or something. I don’t think I would recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

alandsim

Lairian
I can tell you that my SO was really averse to having a litter box in the house just because she's a germaphobe but got used to it very quickly. She doesn't help me scoop it and I scoop it very often to keep it from smelling, but hey, she lives with it and I get a cat (who won SO over in minutes!)

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair!

Good you're doing research about what's best for your future sphynx.

I wouldn't go for outdoor toilet training cause a sphynx can get a sunburn when staying outside too long or getting too cold. Sphynx are a very loving breed and will probably walk to anybody who wants to pet and maybe steal them.

Only thing I could think of to make it work is if you can make a catdoor from inside to outside that leads to a closed catpatio (fence and roof so it can't get out of the patio) where you place the litterbox.

Back