Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Two better than one?

Hillary

Lairian
Hey guys!

I have recently been going back and forth on the idea of getting Norman a girlfriend from the same breeder I got him from last February. It's been only him, my boyfriend and I for the past year so we are really his only source of entertainment 99 percent of the time. I can tell he gets bored and especially in the wee hours of the morning he starts to cry (VERY loud lol) and get our attention because he wants to play and have attention from us at all times. I have bought 100's of toys and he just doesnt seem to care for them for more than a few days lol

I am curious for your guy's opinion if getting him a friend to play with would help him or if I would just have two cats crying at 4 am wanting attention. I love him SOO much and would never want him to get jealous of the other cat but lately I just feel bad he might be lonely sometimes. I have reached out to the breeder and can get on the wait list asap but I find myself going back and forth on the idea everyday.

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

KitCatty

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Most Sphynx do really well with a companion of any breed or type. I’d say it’s really up to you... all cats are different and most are territorial of their homes at first but with time they usually warm up. There are a few threads on the best way to introduce a new pet to the home on here. A room that can be closed off is helpful because it will keep germs and possible illness contained and reduce stress for both animals. Maybe @Catzzzmeow could drop the thread link here for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Two is better then one and three is better then two and....no just kidding:).
As @dare2Bbare says most sphynx go well with other animals. You know him the best and know if his meoowing is because he's talkative or if he's bored. One of my boys can meow very loudly too, specially in the winter when he can't play outside in the garden. He has a brother and a sister to play with and I play with him. But still he gets bored in winter.
So it's not garanteed your boy will stop yelling when he has a buddy.

If you would like a second sphynx and can efford it, I would say: go for it! It so much fun to watch them play and cuddle together!

Cinderstar95

Lairian
I would always say that two are better than one. Especially if your boy is still young. They get bored easily and when you are gone, they get really lonely. I have two but because I travel across my state several times a month, I take one with me (One stays back at the apartment with my brother because he absolutely cannot stand the car and gets SUPER stressed out, and besides, every time I take him in the car he poo's on himself and sits in it, requiring a bath on the side of the road. He's a stress XD but anyway) and she gets a bit lonely and cries alot. According to mybrother, my boy does the same. When they are together, they charge around, play rough all the time and are generally together all the time. But it doesn't diminish the affection I get from them, as they both want to be together ontop of me. lol.
but Yes, if you can afford it and your boy seems bored and lonely at times, get another. they tend to be very social and loving with one another.
Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_1688.JPG
    IMG_1688.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1179.JPG
    IMG_1179.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1327.JPG
    IMG_1327.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1332.JPG
    IMG_1332.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1362.JPG
    IMG_1362.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 56

KitCatty

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I would always say that two are better than one. Especially if your boy is still young. They get bored easily and when you are gone, they get really lonely. I have two but because I travel across my state several times a month, I take one with me (One stays back at the apartment with my brother because he absolutely cannot stand the car and gets SUPER stressed out, and besides, every time I take him in the car he poo's on himself and sits in it, requiring a bath on the side of the road. He's a stress XD but anyway) and she gets a bit lonely and cries alot. According to mybrother, my boy does the same. When they are together, they charge around, play rough all the time and are generally together all the time. But it doesn't diminish the affection I get from them, as they both want to be together ontop of me. lol.
but Yes, if you can afford it and your boy seems bored and lonely at times, get another. they tend to be very social and loving with one another.
Good luck!

So cute (the pillow) And that cats are too

Hillary

Lairian
Thanks everybody!!
I messaged the breeder and im on the wait list for a new baby the decider was the last two nights of waking up at 4am because he wants to play haha I think he just needs another source of companionship during the day while I'm at work to keep him busy! And well..who doesn't want another kitten!! lol

KitCatty

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thanks everybody!!
I messaged the breeder and im on the wait list for a new baby the decider was the last two nights of waking up at 4am because he wants to play haha I think he just needs another source of companionship during the day while I'm at work to keep him busy! And well..who doesn't want another kitten!! lol

How exciting! Can’t wait for updates

Adalie

Lairian
We just got our sphynx boy (also named Norman) a friend a couple weeks back! They love love love to cuddle! I'm sure your little guy will be thrilled to have a playmate!

Lizzardkitty

Lairian
We just got our sphynx boy (also named Norman) a friend a couple weeks back! They love love love to cuddle! I'm sure your little guy will be thrilled to have a playmate!
What is the age of both your cats? I have a 7 month and an 11 week old kitten and it's not going so smooth. I'm committed to them but just worried.

Cinderstar95

Lairian
What is the age of both your cats? I have a 7 month and an 11 week old kitten and it's not going so smooth. I'm committed to them but just worried.
It may take some time. I had another cat when I was younger, my first. Her name was Ole, and Ole wanted to be the only cat. But we had two more, Stashie and Darth. Stashie was submissive, and they got along well enough, but Darth wanted to be an alpha male, and they squabbled constantly. It settled down after a while, and they learned to live together. They weren't best of buds like my two are now, but they did lead good and comfortable lives. It just might take some time, cats can be territorial. Work with food as an introduction. if it's really bad (i dont know if its just a general dislike or all out war) but i've seen this work with other cats. get a baby gate, one they can see eachother through, or a clear door/screen door and feed one on each side, gradually moving the bowls closer. Jackson Galaxy uses this method on his show "My cat from Hell" and you can see clips all over youtube. He's a great person to look to for advice and Ive used his methods in the past, and its worked! Good luck and best wishes

Lizzardkitty

Lairian
It may take some time. I had another cat when I was younger, my first. Her name was Ole, and Ole wanted to be the only cat. But we had two more, Stashie and Darth. Stashie was submissive, and they got along well enough, but Darth wanted to be an alpha male, and they squabbled constantly. It settled down after a while, and they learned to live together. They weren't best of buds like my two are now, but they did lead good and comfortable lives. It just might take some time, cats can be territorial. Work with food as an introduction. if it's really bad (i dont know if its just a general dislike or all out war) but i've seen this work with other cats. get a baby gate, one they can see eachother through, or a clear door/screen door and feed one on each side, gradually moving the bowls closer. Jackson Galaxy uses this method on his show "My cat from Hell" and you can see clips all over youtube. He's a great person to look to for advice and Ive used his methods in the past, and its worked! Good luck and best wishes
I've been doing the door trick for 3 days. My resident cat doesn't care he loves food. However, once we have mini play sessions and the resident cat gets too rough, our Kitten goes back to the safe room. That is when our resident cat meows and howls for hours after when I'm trying to settle down the kitten to sleep. I don't know if that means he misses him or not.

Adalie

Lairian
Norman is a year old and the new kitten is 6 months. The first week was a little rough because the new guy was very shy and scared while Norman just wanted to play. We gave the kitten its own room and fed them near each other. This was very helpful. It has been around three weeks now and the boys will cuddle together but the kitten does not want to play as often as Norman. We hope that our new kitten will start to come out of his shell even more as time goes on!
KDWnuHNJlWOegcgJuuooGuIXNiiemo8vqVbTVgZmM_ovpnq9qihX4q2qoHHyJAtGZcLXxPkb41avreEhNKJvJf6-vLbaZsDQ97Pna7hfV_02tZzOISB22DA-WkPdBhZY7kOBSaLfOUI33hKRIXzkwVh1fWyMDlUxqp3Yt3wnaK-l06UF81ODM8TIQWn0I69PYOwSBywNi_2uz0fv6iNFggnokjPkCem1YynFCLG2OnYCaQ0ZWJQ2-7cIIX1FcMYU_VNt-_p1xFVWeuG3rxWsJcvOXeFhNry6osLukMa4fWqSzyDs4cJdBWCNSWtcfyr8HM5QMsvxqO0k5GrriXm3ogy9k8jeYS9VwE8YkvtfW-aJXDrQNBqyFRNzASjpcbctdMtCA2KIejpxqRbMfe3iQBdhn4-oqDj2s5S34-PYLfZo3QAvjIIq9FXVACqLv7CXMeBgMopAA4YoMRCPjvpbm387Ytg6VSfDFTLIll12o1VemWPrzsvjKvDdUjnNlzDpK464uyslEG7QnXFSKfS3WfcLTd9HTpWn8zFhFZv15burWnCzk6ThNGj65xpF3974HqDPNTuru8kLyeZWDuL3EeikTZFLLJUB4GmHMU8=w1748-h1310-no

Lizzardkitty

Lairian
Norman is a year old and the new kitten is 6 months. The first week was a little rough because the new guy was very shy and scared while Norman just wanted to play. We gave the kitten its own room and fed them near each other. This was very helpful. It has been around three weeks now and the boys will cuddle together but the kitten does not want to play as often as Norman. We hope that our new kitten will start to come out of his shell even more as time goes on!
KDWnuHNJlWOegcgJuuooGuIXNiiemo8vqVbTVgZmM_ovpnq9qihX4q2qoHHyJAtGZcLXxPkb41avreEhNKJvJf6-vLbaZsDQ97Pna7hfV_02tZzOISB22DA-WkPdBhZY7kOBSaLfOUI33hKRIXzkwVh1fWyMDlUxqp3Yt3wnaK-l06UF81ODM8TIQWn0I69PYOwSBywNi_2uz0fv6iNFggnokjPkCem1YynFCLG2OnYCaQ0ZWJQ2-7cIIX1FcMYU_VNt-_p1xFVWeuG3rxWsJcvOXeFhNry6osLukMa4fWqSzyDs4cJdBWCNSWtcfyr8HM5QMsvxqO0k5GrriXm3ogy9k8jeYS9VwE8YkvtfW-aJXDrQNBqyFRNzASjpcbctdMtCA2KIejpxqRbMfe3iQBdhn4-oqDj2s5S34-PYLfZo3QAvjIIq9FXVACqLv7CXMeBgMopAA4YoMRCPjvpbm387Ytg6VSfDFTLIll12o1VemWPrzsvjKvDdUjnNlzDpK464uyslEG7QnXFSKfS3WfcLTd9HTpWn8zFhFZv15burWnCzk6ThNGj65xpF3974HqDPNTuru8kLyeZWDuL3EeikTZFLLJUB4GmHMU8=w1748-h1310-no
How did you handle playing with both at separate times while still getting work/task done in the house

Adalie

Lairian
How did you handle playing with both at separate times while still getting work/task done in the house
The new kitten is pretty lazy and we trust Norman enough not to hurt him so we often put the kitten in the cat tree to sleep (this puts him out of sight so Norman is not tempted). The only time the boys ever get too rough is at night. We often have to redirect Norman to other things to do. He is easily distracted and he usually forgets about Atticus. You could try letting one baby out at a time and then at the end of the day let them have some time to roam together. This would give each cat some freedom and allow them to figure out each other's scents. It also will give your new kitty a chance to explore the rest of the house without worrying about your other kitty. Just give them time! The first week my boyfriend was freaking out that they hated each other and they'd never get along. Two weeks later they are snuggled up on the couch together! :cat:

Back