Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Yeast infection and Malaseb?

Orange

Lairian
Update!

So I've taken him to the vet. He said that I should avoid giving baths too often, ideally once a month, no more than once every two weeks. He gave me a leave on conditioner spray to use for a week and then as needed. I asked if it could be allergies (I've had two vets before tell me that this type of yeast isn't due to allergies and not to bother changing his food, but I'm getting skeptical about it), he said it can't hurt to try putting him on a hypo food.

My other sphynx, Newt, was also at the vet yesterday and had repeat bloodwoork that confirmed he has stage 1 kidney disease. By some stroke of luck there is a brand of food that makes a renal support food that also has hydrolyzed protein - expensive as, but if they will eat it and it helps it will be worth it!

Fingers crossed!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Orange , big hugs to you and head smooches sent !
Keep us updated often
((Positve vibes for Newt too)

Will be following closely for updates

Ps- I use Hylyt shampoo on my 4 - soap free hypo allergenic
and can go for over a month between full spa days
I use a teenie few drops of Hylyt in a pitcher of warm water with baby face clothes for touch ups.
I use makeup remover wipes (fragrance free alcohol free to gently clean nail beds)

Used to feed Acana Grasslands (Canadian formula ) and they were waaay greasy skin
Switched to Nutrisource cat and kitten in blue bag and no more greasy skin

Please share with us the renal food

Orange

Lairian
Update!!!

We have switched to Royal Canin Renal + Hydrolyzed protein. There was a mix up in the order at the vet so it took a while to get, but we have now been on it for a week. Newt likes the food (hooray, he refused to eat the Hill's k/d), Orange is not a huge fan, but he's too much of a food monster to not eat. It upsets Orange's stomach, though I'm guessing that's from the sudden switch, and some pumpkin should clear that up. In one week his skin has seen a MASSIVE improvement!! I haven't given him a bath in over a week, no medications, and no topical creams. I've posted pictures to compare before and after. He's happier and walking easier. I will be giving him a bath soon with the Miconahex to help get rid of the last bit, but I'm soooo happy that this has worked this will so far. Newt will be getting repeat bloodwoork in 6 months, so we will see if the kidney food is helping him.

Thanks for all the love and support ❤❤❤

Attachments

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
That is such a huge improvment! So happy for you guys. Keep us updated :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Orange , so happy to see massive improvement !

Yah! Head smooches sent !

Keep the good news updates coming!.

Is it the Miconahex shampoo that worked wonders ? In addition to diet

(It's the same brand I buy Trizuktra with Keto - to wipe clean ears )

Will be very helpful for other members to mention to their vets too

kauna

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Wow! that is a huge improvement. Hopefully he will come around to the new food. So happy for you guys! keep us posted with more updates.

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Update!

So I've taken him to the vet. He said that I should avoid giving baths too often, ideally once a month, no more than once every two weeks. He gave me a leave on conditioner spray to use for a week and then as needed. I asked if it could be allergies (I've had two vets before tell me that this type of yeast isn't due to allergies and not to bother changing his food, but I'm getting skeptical about it), he said it can't hurt to try putting him on a hypo food.

My other sphynx, Newt, was also at the vet yesterday and had repeat bloodwoork that confirmed he has stage 1 kidney disease. By some stroke of luck there is a brand of food that makes a renal support food that also has hydrolyzed protein - expensive as, but if they will eat it and it helps it will be worth it!

Fingers crossed!
Hi there , oh love I hope with all my heart the food helps to get your little ones back on track please keep us updated on their progress and recovery
Sending hugs and head smooches from us
Xxx❤❤❤

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Orange
So good to hear you got both your cats on a plan that is working for everyone!
Can you tell me what conditioner spray you are using?

Orange

Lairian
@NinaGato I'm using Dermachlor 4, it's a 4% chlorhexadine spray, but we haven't needed it since we switched the food!

Unfortunately the new food STILL doesn't agree with his stomach. I switched him abruptly, so I think that's why (normally he does abrupt food switches just fine though, which is why I didn't think anything of it). But two weeks of diarrhea now is no fun. He usually misses the litter box, so it's Lysol-ing the floor twice a day :( I've tried pumpkin, probiotics, liquid imodium, and nothing has helped. I've asked my vet for any other solutions (possibly metronidazole?), waiting to hear back. Luckily he drinks a ton of water, so he isn't super dehydrated. I'm debating giving him a little bit of his old food again and then slowly weaning him off, but I really don't want his skin to flare up again. Any ideas?

Orange

Lairian
Sorry for the late update - some sad news :(

We tried the metronidazole, also a clay-probiotic mixture called Progut. We also had a fecal float done to make sure he didn't have any parasites (none). When those didn't work we tried colloidal silver. After 5 weeks of severe diarrhea Orange took a turn for the worse. He started pooping by the front door, then his energy level plummeted, and after talking with his vet we decided that his quality of life was not very good anymore and had to make the most heartbreaking decision to let him cross the rainbow bridge. (I know that there is limited amount of space and ways to explain all the factors that went into this decision on a forum, please know that we did not take the decision lightly, we tried everything within our power to help him, we had our vet's support, we did it with his best interest of Orange in mind and that we are heartbroken about it).

Newt misses his brother, he is very needy lately and won't leave my side. I have been home most of the time, so that helps ease his transition. We are trying to switch him to a new kidney support food that is better catered to his needs.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
So very sorry for the loss of your Orange. Most have been a very hard decision. But you know, sometimes letting a beloved on go is the most loving and caring thing you can do for him. Hugs for you and cuddles for Newt.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
I am so sorry your baby got their wings. Fly high little one.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
So sorry to hear that you had to make a brave decision for Orange. Wishing you healing

Dublin Riis

Lairian
Hello!

I'm new to this community (and not an native English speaker so pardon my language mistakes). I have really bad skin problems with my kitty. This is my third sphynx but I've never seen anything like this before.

The problem was there right away I guess. The baby was shaking his legs quite a bit. I didn't really think much of that first but then he started to get these small dark brown spots on his feet and tail. (He doesn't really like me touching his tail so it has to be sore...). First time the doctor said he has a little yeast on his feet but nothing more.

The spots won't come off in a bath. His face is also covered in "dirt" every day even though I wipe it with a soft wet cloth every day. Now the spots were growing in number so the vet took another look at him. It's yeast she said (or some kind of fungus but didn't get the test results back yet).

The vet recommended that we put him on a non-wheat diet and I try to wash him with Malaseb shampoo. I did this yesterday and the poor thing went completely nuts when the shampoo had to sit for ten minutes. Well, first everything looked great, the skin was soft and almost all that brown stuff was gone, but today... The kitty's whole skin has turned dry and flaky and dark brown and it's peeling away.

What can I do? Can I put some lotion on him? Do I try to scratch some of the flaky parts off? I feel so bad for the kitty. Is the Malaseb supposed to work this way? I mean the vet told me it can dry the skin, but I never thought it could be this bad... And she also told me to do this twice a week, I really don't think his skin can handle that.

I would be so grateful if any of you had any experience with this kind of situation. I'm sorry I don't have any pictures right now.

First try to ignore the fact that your baby is going berserk having to sit with Maleseb
Hello!

I'm new to this community (and not an native English speaker so pardon my language mistakes). I have really bad skin problems with my kitty. This is my third sphynx but I've never seen anything like this before.

The problem was there right away I guess. The baby was shaking his legs quite a bit. I didn't really think much of that first but then he started to get these small dark brown spots on his feet and tail. (He doesn't really like me touching his tail so it has to be sore...). First time the doctor said he has a little yeast on his feet but nothing more.

The spots won't come off in a bath. His face is also covered in "dirt" every day even though I wipe it with a soft wet cloth every day. Now the spots were growing in number so the vet took another look at him. It's yeast she said (or some kind of fungus but didn't get the test results back yet).

The vet recommended that we put him on a non-wheat diet and I try to wash him with Malaseb shampoo. I did this yesterday and the poor thing went completely nuts when the shampoo had to sit for ten minutes. Well, first everything looked great, the skin was soft and almost all that brown stuff was gone, but today... The kitty's whole skin has turned dry and flaky and dark brown and it's peeling away.

What can I do? Can I put some lotion on him? Do I try to scratch some of the flaky parts off? I feel so bad for the kitty. Is the Malaseb supposed to work this way? I mean the vet told me it can dry the skin, but I never thought it could be this bad... And she also told me to do this twice a week, I really don't think his skin can handle that.

I would be so grateful if any of you had any experience with this kind of situation. I'm sorry I don't have any pictures right now.
One month difference in bathing with Malaseb (sitting for 10 minutes) 3x per week. Try not to allow your baby to affect you when you have to let it sit. Not too many will like the process, but BOTH of you will like the results
spotss.jpg
spotts2.jpg

MeganeSage

Lairian
Oh wow looks like amazing results! I've been using curaseb for my Sphynx yeast. Has anyone had any luck with that? What do you use to moisturize them inbetween washings?